Fleet Service is the IAM whippin' post

Guess none of you can read the update M&R put out, if they reached a TA they are bound by the IAM Constitution and DL 142 bylaws to put it out for a vote.

And Placid Harbor's Leadership classes are accredited and worth college credits and they participate in the National Labor College through the George Meany Center.

Your negotiating committee this week presented US Airways with a comprehensive proposal that addressed the issues the membership said they wanted addressed in these negotiations. Your committee unanimously agreed that our proposal was the best chance for a deal and it would receive the full support of the membership. However, US Airways response once again failed to fully address our reasonable proposal and no future meetings are scheduled. Your negotiating committee members are returning to their regular assignments.

US Airways has demonstrated no interest in reaching a fair agreement and unifying its Mechanic & Related workforce. We are disappointed at US Airways lack of commitment to its employees and their failure to share the airlines’ success with the employees whose sacrifices generate the airlines profits.

There had been glimmers of hope in recent weeks because of the able assistance provided by Linda Puchala and Dick Hanusz of the National Mediation Board. However, even their help couldnt overcome

When I was in doing the District Communications (142) and putting out all the negotiations update, everything was factual and accurate.

I'm sure it was. I'm talking about things like Canale stating blithly that
the new contract contain as much as a 22% pay raise for some workers.
That was true but so much was left out.
I guess what I'm saying is that statements can be factually correct and
still not reveal underlying motives. For Instance were you aware of all
the communication between the other negotiators and 142? In
other words the policies direction behind the negotiations?

Yes we were. All the parameters were set up and given by the International.

I'm sure it was. I'm talking about things like Canale stating blithly that
the new contract contain as much as a 22% pay raise for some workers.
That was true but so much was left out.
I guess what I'm saying is that statements can be factually correct and
still not reveal underlying motives. For Instance were you aware of all
the communication between the other negotiators and 142? In
other words the policies direction behind the negotiations?
Lies by omission are still lies or maybe they are called misrepresentations. Thats how someone can take a poll or survey and use it to prove both sides of an arguement. Sound a lot like what politicians do. Bend the facts to support their side. Its one of the reasons for "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God."

The info I got was from a Union rep. Fleet had also been given info that there was no hope and all of a sudden, presto a TA. If you believe everything from the IAM Headquarters or International than you have been drinking the koolaid. The word was that Maintenance did have a TA to present and from what I was told was a pretty good one also. Just because the mechanics have been with the IAM since 1949 is no reason for them to get a better deal than Fleet. Fleet is not asking for a better deal but an equal deal in proportion. It makes sense that they would not bring it to the membership after Fleet shot theirs down. Fleet is tired of getting the dregs and want a fair piece of the pie not the crumbs.

Same Union, different jobs, different contracts. IAM 141/IAM142...different lodge. If you are trying to bark up the Fleet tree, try elsewhere, our contract status should have no bearing on the development and outcome of MX one, IMO. I could be off base in my thoughts, but think about it...shouldn't your concern lie with your Union and what they are or aren't doing for you??? Directing your concerns towards another Labor group represented by the same Union really should not affect your bargaining chip should it? If so, please clarify for me. I do feel that we should ALL strive to support each other in our endeavours to reach FAIR and EQUITABLE contracts for our respective labor groups regardless of whose union or lodge is representing them. I will say this, too.... if the IAM continues to go nowhere fast for our work groups, then it is clear that we (both MX and Fleet) are being represented by a union that isn't doing there job right by fighting for us. Where is the "bite"?? even the "bark" is not being heard very loudly...

When I was in doing the District Communications (142) and putting out all the negotiations update, everything was factual and accurate.

That was then and this is now. Not all that comes from the Union is factual and truthful. The most important thing the Union cares about is dues. Speaking of dues proportinately the Fleet pay more as a whole in dues than MTC. Remember a part timer pays as much as a full timer. 700, I don't think that MTC has part timers do they? No matter what you say MTC did have a TA and it was not brought to the membership. What part of that don't you comprehend? Your training and experience apparently don't mean squat here. You keep telling yourself so but today it don't mean squat. The credibility of present and past representatives of the IAM have diminished in todays USAirways and until all parties represented by them are treated equal you can spew all the propaganda you want but it don't mean squat. Take your credits..........................

Skilled labor vs Unskilled labor?

Yes I understand the Mechanics have been to school and have received an AP certificate. Most of the ones that are left now have 20+ years or are close to that. Do they deserve a decent contract? YES they do. Let's look at what they have given up that was classified as a skilled labor job...

1 Dispatch and Receipt

2 Walk arounds ( A/C inspections upon arrival)

3 Airstarts

4 Power and Air at arrival and departure

5 Riding brakes for reposition ( Not taxiing but give the company time they will get us certified if you aren't careful)

6 A/C Deicing...hasn't happened yet but we it did before USair was on the property and can do it again. Probably is in certain stations.

All of these functions of skilled labor has been transfered to "unskilled" labor. With my 25 years experience I can grant you that I could change a tire and have added oil to an engine many of times before USAir. I just won't cross that line today because it is not my job. Not yet anyway.

Can you take any monkey off the street and teach them how to throw bags? Yes you can but they are the ones that don't have a clue about all of the detailed work that we do. Some are willing to learn and others just don't give a rat's arse. And most of us senior people are starting to feel the same way. We still care but we wonder why. DoUgIe has told us to our face that we are just an entry level job. He has no clue to what goes on in the day to day operation of this company and that is why we are in the shape that we are in. Excel is a fine tool but you cannot run a service oriented business from those sheets.

You can consider us as "unskilled" labor if you want but I can tell you that I have much more knowledge than you think. You think things are bad now, take all of us away that have this experience and knowledge and see what happens. We deserve a decent contract just like everyone else. We might be considered the bottom feeders but be careful we might be the sharks that bite you in the arse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Skilled labor vs Unskilled labor?

Yes I understand the Mechanics have been to school and have received an AP certificate. Most of the ones that are left now have 20+ years or are close to that. Do they deserve a decent contract? YES they do. Let's look at what they have given up that was classified as a skilled labor job...

1 Dispatch and Receipt

2 Walk arounds ( A/C inspections upon arrival)

3 Airstarts

4 Power and Air at arrival and departure

5 Riding brakes for reposition ( Not taxiing but give the company time they will get us certified if you aren't careful)

6 A/C Deicing...hasn't happened yet but we it did before USair was on the property and can do it again. Probably is in certain stations.

All of these functions of skilled labor has been transfered to "unskilled" labor. With my 25 years experience I can grant you that I could change a tire and have added oil to an engine many of times before USAir. I just won't cross that line today because it is not my job. Not yet anyway.

Can you take any monkey off the street and teach them how to throw bags? Yes you can but they are the ones that don't have a clue about all of the detailed work that we do. Some are willing to learn and others just don't give a rat's arse. And most of us senior people are starting to feel the same way. We still care but we wonder why. DoUgIe has told us to our face that we are just an entry level job. He has no clue to what goes on in the day to day operation of this company and that is why we are in the shape that we are in. Excel is a fine tool but you cannot run a service oriented business from those sheets.

You can consider us as "unskilled" labor if you want but I can tell you that I have much more knowledge than you think. You think things are bad now, take all of us away that have this experience and knowledge and see what happens. We deserve a decent contract just like everyone else. We might be considered the bottom feeders but be careful we might be the sharks that bite you in the arse.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I for one am tired of being treated like the "red headed step child". We deserve a decent contract that we can live off of. I have given my body and my knowledge to help keep this boat afloat and I am ready for my piece of the pie just like every group that is the knowledge and backbone of this company. I am sick of just the upper group (management) eating the whole pie. While the children in Tempe play in the sandbox WE keep this airline flying!

PIblue

Very well said. You hit the nail on the head. Without the senior experience on the ramp. Planes won't get airstarted (only thing new hires
know how to do is twirl the wand) . plus like you said they don't want to know how to do it or care. (it's called laziness). Need to move
an rj to hardstand call a new hire and see how long that takes.

we may be classified as unskilled but without doing the little things we do everyday this airline comes to a scretching halt.

How often does what the union puts out contain the whole truth?
How often does what the company put out contain the whole truth?
If you don't follow the reasoning that's OK. I do.

Father,
When it came to this offer the union never told its members what they were asking for - so we never knew what we weren't going to get....the company put out a letter stating what was offered to the union and NOT offered to the members for a vote.