Flight Attendant Picketing to begin next week

Why are so many of you concerned with grinding axes against your unions, rather than take an opportunity to protest the bonus payouts?

If there were picket lines at enough airports, it's likely that the BOD might take notice. The media certainly would.

Instead, it's likely to have a token turnout, which is almost worse than not protesting at all.

Sad... It's little wonder why the unions have less and less influence...
There should be a picket line in front of every airport, but my union, the twu, refuses to take such a anti-bonus action, might harm the friendship. ;)

I think the TWU members should change tactics. We should help the APA and APFA on their picket lines on the 17th and 18th to show our support as members. I think we should turn around on the 19th and picket the TWU ATD in Hurst and the TWU International in New York for the TWU’s lack of support.

This has become a complete shame on the TWU. This is the first time in my 18 years with this company I’ve seen all work groups including L4 and below management upset over one issue. I can’t believe the TWU will let this one slide by. I’ve always known that the TWU was worthless but this one has put it over the top.

I think I may have answered my own frustrations with the TWU. The APA and the APFA are not part of the AFL-CIO. I guess the TWU can’t over look that fact for a few hours to show the company how upset their members are. :down:

on the 19th and picket the TWU ATD in Hurst and the TWU International in New York for the TWU’s lack of support.
Great idea, maybe local 100 can bring out the giant rat so it will be staring through former AA manager, diploma mill masters degree carrying, twu Intl. President Jim "do" Little's window. :up:

Great idea, maybe local 100 can bring out the giant rat so it will be staring through former AA manager, diploma mill masters degree carrying, twu Intl. President Jim "do" Little's window. :up:

I think Local 100 would be more than happy to help us out on that one. It’s been awhile since our Rat friend has seen some action. :up: :rolleyes: :shock: :p

I like the idea of getting the flight attendants to help picket the TWU... Take lots of pictures and post 'em here.

This is the first time in my 18 years with this company I’ve seen all work groups including L4 and below management upset over one issue.

Yep. I think you can add more than a few L5's to that list of really pissed off people.

The Privileged Thousand are made up all the VP's, managing directors, and what I will assume are all of the L6's. Adding all those up comes to about 800, so there are a hundred or so L5's also getting bonuses, presumably the general managers and a few areas like sales and finance where they were included in the plan as a form of retention.

I like the idea of getting the flight attendants to help picket the TWU... Take lots of pictures and post 'em here.
Yep. I think you can add more than a few L5's to that list of really pissed off people.

The Privileged Thousand are made up all the VP's, managing directors, and what I will assume are all of the L6's. Adding all those up comes to about 800, so there are a hundred or so L5's also getting bonuses, presumably the general managers and a few areas like sales and finance where they were included in the plan as a form of retention.

The reason I didn’t put L5’s in the mix is because most of the L5’s on the MX side of the house are ate up with company sunshine. I’ve even had several admit they will receive pay outs up to 50k.

Actually, there were close to 6000 f/as furloughed. Some TWA, (before the merging of the seniority list), and ALL of the rest are AA f/as. Those directly affected by the RPA were close to 4000, all but 99 of the non TWA AA f/as
have been returned to work.

AA insists that the furloughs were a result of 9-11. In a convoluted way, that "might" be true. The need for cost savings was a result of 9-11. However, I don't think ANYONE would agree that the bonus program should be funded on the backs of any worker or concession. The irony of the amount reported of $200,000,000 for the executive bonuses is equal to the annual "shared sacrifice" of the furloughed AA f/as. This is not a them vs us issue. The last of ALL furloughed AA f/as will fall off the seniority list in July of 2008.

This is one time that the workers of AA are "together". Can any one executive produce evidence or documentation of extraordinary gains that would trigger this "gift" in a performance based program? No, they are simply, "doing their jobs" for which they are already well compensated.

Well just so you know, there are more than the 99 AA natives on the recall list than you aren't mentioning. The 99 natives graduated before the TWA Meger/Acquisition (whatever you wanna call it) April 9th/10th 2001. I'm part of class 2001-11, our class was furloughed twice, we graduated May 3rd 2001, about 3 weeks after the whole TWA M/A and we flew from May through October of 2001, although most of didn't fly past September 16th of the same year because of 911. We were officially furloughed in October 2001, we were out for 8.5 months and were called back to flying for a second time from May 2002 through October 2002, does anyone see a patern here? (Deja Vu)

To clarify there are still approximately 3-4 native classes with about 40-50 FA's in each class that were ahead of class 2001-11, but below the TWA FA's in seniority, I don't know how many are still standing by to be recalled, but that's an extra 200 (give or take) native AA FA's that aren't being accounted for (some how these 200+/- native AA FA's are always forgotten), in addition to the 99 AA natives everyone always talks about.

Just so you know when we were called back to flying in May of 2002, APFA messed up and my union dues weren't payroll deducted automatically for 4-5 months, I had all intentions of paying them, but once we were notified that we would be furloughed for a second time I figured I'd need the money more than APFA, to date I keep getting a monthly bill for the $158 of union dues that weren't deducted. Should I pay them? Have I/Am I/Will I be represented? No!

Well just so you know, there are more than the 99 AA natives on the recall list than you aren't mentioning. The 99 natives graduated before the TWA Meger/Acquisition (whatever you wanna call it) April 9th/10th 2001. I'm part of class 2001-11, our class was furloughed twice, we graduated May 3rd 2001, about 3 weeks after the whole TWA M/A and we flew from May through October of 2001, although most of didn't fly past September 16th of the same year because of 911. We were officially furloughed in October 2001, we were out for 8.5 months and were called back to flying for a second time from May 2002 through October 2002, does anyone see a patern here? (Deja Vu)

To clarify there are still approximately 3-4 native classes with about 40-50 FA's in each class that were ahead of class 2001-11, but below the TWA FA's in seniority, I don't know how many are still standing by to be recalled, but that's an extra 200 (give or take) native AA FA's that aren't being accounted for (some how these 200+/- native AA FA's are always forgotten), in addition to the 99 AA natives everyone always talks about.

Just so you know when we were called back to flying in May of 2002, APFA messed up and my union dues weren't payroll deducted automatically for 4-5 months, I had all intentions of paying them, but once we were notified that we would be furloughed for a second time I figured I'd need the money more than APFA, to date I keep getting a monthly bill for the $158 of union dues that weren't deducted. Should I pay them? Have I/Am I/Will I be represented? No!

I was including the AA f/as (of your seniority and those below the former TWA f/as) in the 6000. As you well know we have lost over 1000 off the seniority list and I have been very vocal about this issue. This goes beyond contract and could be settled with an LOA. For the Co to hold early openers as the trade off is unconscienable considering the early furloughs were a direct result of the 9-11 tragedy. As of today ALL f/as currently furloughed are AA f/as. Period.

Why are so many of you concerned with grinding axes against your unions, rather than take an opportunity to protest the bonus payouts?

If there were picket lines at enough airports, it's likely that the BOD might take notice. The media certainly would.

Instead, it's likely to have a token turnout, which is almost worse than not protesting at all.

Sad... It's little wonder why the unions have less and less influence...
Very true.

As long as workers have more anger towards their unions than towards greedy executives, not much will change.

Just so you'll know...
I hate to tell you this, but you are no longer on the recall list; nor, are any of those classes that graduated before you but were below the former TW flight attendants on the seniority list.

There are only 2366 f/as left on the recall list. Less than 100 of those 2,366 are "nAAtive" AA f/as from the classes that graduated just before the 4-10-2001 seniority date of the former TW flight attendants.

All of the "nAAtives" which were below the former TW f/as were dropped from the recall list either 9/2006, 10/2006, or 1/2007 when their 5-year recall rights expired.

By the way, I would tell the Blessed Order of the Perpetually Trip-Removed (aka, APFA) to go pound sand on those "past due" union dues. It's not like they've ever done anything for junior flight attendants, anyway. And, the reason you no longer have recall rights is because the APFA would have had to fight for the recall rights of the former TW flight attendants as well. They just threw you under the bus as "collateral damage."

Very true.

As long as workers have more anger towards their unions than towards greedy executives, not much will change.

I'm retired and I will be there, will you? I feel I owe it to all the f/as who have fallen off the recall list to protest these bonus payments. Once again the irony of the total amt. of$200,000,000 in bonus payments is equal to the yearly "shared contribution" of the furloughed f/as.

Just so you'll know...
I hate to tell you this, but you are no longer on the recall list; nor, are any of those classes that graduated before you but were below the former TW flight attendants on the seniority list.

Jim, VenaCavaLAX said they were recalled in May 2002, and furloughed again a few months later. Unless I'm missing something, the five year recall clock wouldn't have started until October or November 2002, expiring in October or November 2007.

Latest posts