Pilots to Picket

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways pilots to picket

Philadelphia Business Journal - 4:03 PM EDT Friday

US Airways pilots will conduct an "informational picketing" at Philadelphia International Airport Tuesday to draw attention to their demand for a better contract.

The Air Line Pilots Association International said "the pilots, during the course of two bankruptcies, committed $6.8 billion in concessions to US Airways management so that the airline would survive and become a successful carrier." Now they want "a fair contract that rewards the pilot group for its part in US Airways' remarkable turnaround."

The picketing is scheduled for 9 to 11 a.m., the association said.

Jack Stephan, a spokesman for the association, declined comment Friday on the pilots' specific demands. He said that information would be available during the picketing.

US Airways (NYSE: LCC), which was formed by a merger last fall between America West Airlines and the bankrupt former US Airways, reported net income of $65 million in the first quarter and a profit of $5 million excluding special items. The airline, which is based in Tempe, Ariz., is the dominant carrier at Philadelphia International.

Earlier this month, the union representing the airline's flight attendants criticized US Airways for a 3 percent pay increase earmarked for airline management this fall.

The union said flight attendants were being asked to work without raises, but an airline spokeswoman said the flight attendants' contract calls for step increases for years of service until employees reach the top tier.

Now they want "a fair contract that rewards the pilot group for its part in US Airways' remarkable turnaround."
Compared to a year ago, yes there has been a good turnaround. But there is also a long way to go. I hardly see one strong quarter as reason to renegotiate a new contract. If that's what they wanted, they should have negotiated to negotiate at the first sign of a profit. Of course, the company (NO company) would ever agree to such a ludicrous demand.

While I do agree that the pilots and all employees for that matter do deserve more, isn't their contract cast in stone until 2012 by the union's own agreement?????????

I do not see how bad publicity is going to help at this time, especially if nothing can come of it.

Like I said, you all deserve more, but I think we need a better track record than one profitable quarter before we know where this ship is headed.

My best to you all.

Art,

The mechanic and related and fleet had their CBAs abrogated and the company offered a final offer the employees were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

On the other side, yes our CBAs were written and had amendable dates, that did not stop the company for asking for concessions and using the courts to get them.

It works both ways.

Earlier this month, the union representing the airline's flight attendants criticized US Airways for a 3 percent pay increase earmarked for airline management this fall.

The union said flight attendants were being asked to work without raises, but an airline spokeswoman said the flight attendants' contract calls for step increases for years of service until employees reach the top tier.

You believe that BS spewing from management??? So the only way to get a raise around here is through longevity step increases for the select few who are junior, but no wage increase across the board.

I think the f/as, agents, pilots should start a mass informational picket together! :up:

Art,

All the labor groups are in "transitional contract negotiations...not sure you know that.

700 and PIT,

With all due respect, your points are taken, but I just question if generating bad publicity causing customers to consider booking away will help.

Picketing of any kind can be interpreted by less savvy travelers as strike related, even if not the case.

I wish you all well, but my message to you guys is the same as it is to the sand castle--work smart not hard :)

My best to you all....

While I do agree that the pilots and all employees for that matter do deserve more, isn't their contract cast in stone until 2012 by the union's own agreement?????????

This is not true. The combined carrier cannot operate as a single carrier under two pilot contracts. The Transition agreement, as well as ALPA merger policy states that a new contract must be negotiated. The pilots and management have been in several negotiation meetings already working on the new contract. Some sections of the new contract have been agreed on, but many remain open. Management is insisting on a contract with NO cost increases to the company, yet they cash in millions and give themselves raises. We sacrificed a lot for this company, as did other groups) and we want to be fairly compensated for our role in the survival of this company...

Our 1-10 yr fa's are the lowest paid around. I don't know how our reserves do it. Especially the new ones on the west side. I would die if I had to bring home that type of check again.

well you know what, sometimes management needs to be hit in the head....I think it is great...I wish the FA's would start CHAOS....I'll buy a T-shirt and wear it on all of my flights--promise

The AWA pilot contract is amendable right now and the operational integration of flight operations per the Transition Agreement cannot be implemented until a combined contract is achieved. Therefore, there are joint contract negotiations in progress.

well you know what, sometimes management needs to be hit in the head....I think it is great...I wish the FA's would start CHAOS....I'll buy a T-shirt and wear it on all of my flights--promise

Doug Parker's two favorite words: "Cost Neutral".

Of course it's easy for him to say that while he cashes in his stock (his privilege), awards 3% raises to management.

Excuse me, but USAirways employees were raped by opportunistic raiders who walked away with millions all the while threatening liquidation.

It's the employees that kept the thing flying through two bankruptcies. The employees should be rewarded, and not simply through meager profit sharing.

I think all the employees really want is not a land grab, but just back to a place where they are even in today's economy. Making the same or less money they did in 1989 just won't cut it.

Sorry Doug and Jerry. "We make US Fly." "Show US the Money!"

With all due respect, your points are taken, but I just question if generating bad publicity causing customers to consider booking away will help.

Picketing of any kind can be interpreted by less savvy travelers as strike related, even if not the case.

Bad publicity is never good for any company. That is the point.

If there wasn't the threat of pax booking away, then informational picketing would have little value.

How does the pay of each worker classification at Usairways compare to their peers at the other airlines. Pilots at Usairways are near the bottom of the pay scale, therefore they have a increased possibility of a pay raise. If your job classification is average compared to the rest of the industry you have a decreased chance of receiving much more than the average.

Compared to a year ago, yes there has been a good turnaround. But there is also a long way to go. I hardly see one strong quarter as reason to renegotiate a new contract. If that's what they wanted, they should have negotiated to negotiate at the first sign of a profit. Of course, the company (NO company) would ever agree to such a ludicrous demand.
Delta pilots new contract have additional pay increases tied to Company financial performance