Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capital City - DCA

• Steel City - PIT

• Stay Where I'm At...

• Total voters
FYI......CLT is NOT some little podunk southern town BY ANY MEANS.I am a transplant (as are Many of the locals) and watching this city grow is amazing on a daily basis. CLT can easily be looked upon as ATL 10years ago- continuous progress being made and a City that is really trying to put itself on the map (the banking industry stays here for a reason), add this to great weather and people that have good values and are pretty hospitable too. The Carolinas offer a little bit of everything....it may not be as cosmo as NYC or as historical/expensive as BOS or DC but compared to PHL, MY CHOICE was Easy- "now do y'all want corn bread or biscuits?" :lol: :p

LGA ....most jr... expensive...small base..wackey base manager...revolving door
BOS...jr as well...expensive...small base...nice f/a's
DCA..very professional group

All three above have a very cosmo edge, but are smaller bases, so if you dont want everyone to know your biz or if you are hard to work with, these would not be for you.
GREAT CITIES, but you'll need alot of money.

PIT...don't bother....really needs no exclaimation.

PHL...rough around the edges but a city of alot of history, but getting pricey. The base is the best for flying with lots of t/a and transcon flights. Train to the city cuts down on driving. Tight facilites and not up to the west standards (THANKS DOUG!! :angry: ) but alot of commuters and fun f/a's.

CLT....Not as cosmo as the other bases but an easy place to live...affordable...fun people mixed in with a few jesus freaks. Very senior...lots of commuters and NC natives. If you have an issue with southerners, go north.

Most Will Welcome you. We on the east are much more layed back than what you may think. And with a few exceptions, we take care of each other.

couldn't have said it better myself!!! lol.

FYI......CLT is NOT some little podunk southern town BY ANY MEANS. add this to great weather and people that have good values and are pretty hospitable too.

sky high states: Expect to be called a Yankee if you're from the NORTH. Transfering in? A big bow in your hair and pumps are mandatory! :lol: :lol:

only stating opinions.

sky high states: Expect to be called a Yankee if you're from the NORTH. Transfering in? A big bow in your hair and pumps are mandatory! :lol: :lol:
only stating opinions.
And opinions are like...
I do find your opinions a little strange. The house to the right of mine, a straight couple from Princeton, NJ; the house to the left, single woman from San Francisco; the house across the street, gay couple from Chicago; behind me, lesbian couple from Boston. Yeah, little old back woods Charlotte with no diversity. Go figure.

And opinions are like...
I do find your opinions a little strange. The house to the right of mine, a straight couple from Princeton, NJ; the house to the left, single woman from San Francisco; the house across the street, gay couple from Chicago; behind me, lesbian couple from Boston. Yeah, little old back woods Charlotte with no diversity. Go figure.

I'll agree with you that CLT is becoming more diverse. What is unfortunate, however, is that the transportation/ infrastructure system seems to be waaaaay behind for the amount of people relocating to and already living in the region. Thus, it is turning into a mini Los Angeles, a ton of strip malls along busy roads, and traffic. Lots of it.... (Oh yah, and lots of churches, but no beach and babes :lol: ) Do they have long term plans for this?

Y'all take care ;)

And opinions are like...
I do find your opinions a little strange. Yeah, little old back woods Charlotte with no diversity. Go figure.

sky high states: That "southern mentality" is DEEPLY EMBEDDED in CLT as well as many other areas in the SOUTH.

ONLY Stating opinions.

sky high states: That "southern mentality" is DEEPLY EMBEDDED in CLT as well as many oher areas in the SOUTH.
ONLY Stating opinions.
What? Just what is the "Southern mentality"? Is it integrated schools that don't exist in places like Boston? Does it include the fact that it never saw race riots in the 60s like Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Washington and Baltimore? That it was the seventh fastest growing city in the United Sates between 2000 and 2006? Please, tell me what my mentality is?

Charlotte is a top tier city in giving to the arts. It continually raises more money for the arts and sciences than the much larger cities of Boston, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Philadelphia. I guess back woods hicks like museums and opera.

Your statement is as logical as me saying that the "Northern mentality" is deeply embedded in PHL. Geez! But whatever.

As to traffic issues, no argument that the city has problems. What high-growth American city doesn't? LAS, PHX, ATL, HOU, AUS...all have both traffic troubles. But at least Charlotte is being proactive in dealing with some (not all) of this. Mecklenburg County voters approved a half cent sales tax nearly seven years ago to pay for mass transit. The city's first 9-mile light rail line opens in November.

I guess you're just as close-minded about my hometown as you claim we are about the world around us.

Look on the bright side - the fewer people that want to move south the better. Less traffic, crowding, etc.

Jim

What? Just what is the "Southern mentality"?
Your statement is as logical as me saying that the "Northern mentality" is deeply embedded in PHL. Geez! But whatever.
I guess you're just as close-minded about my hometown as you claim we are about the world around us.

sky high states: Actually, there is a difference in working at PHL, compared to CLT. CLT is primarily filled with former Piedmont workers. Many TRY to keep that airline alive. PHL is not. And, bother way, I never mentioned anything about your beloved hometown, my comments were directed at THE BASE.

ONLY stating opinions.

sky high states: Actually, there is a difference in working at PHL, compared to CLT. CLT is primarily filled with former Piedmont workers. Many TRY to keep that airline alive. PHL is not. And, bother way, I never mentioned anything about your beloved hometown, my comments were directed at THE BASE.
ONLY stating opinions.
Isn't the Philly base pretty much like Ellis Island. A bunch of people, hardly any originally from the Philadelphia area. I don't recall ever talking to a Philly F/A, who was actually from Philly, Jersey, or Delaware. I'm sure there are a few, but most, I believe are out of towners. I'm sure there is a higher percentage of people in Clt from the Carolinas.

Isn't the Philly base pretty much like Ellis Island. A bunch of people, hardly any originally from the Philadelphia area. I don't recall ever talking to a Philly F/A, who was actually from Philly, Jersey, or Delaware. I'm sure there are a few, but most, I believe are out of towners. I'm sure there is a higher percentage of people in Clt from the Carolinas.

sky high states: You are correct.

only stating opinions.

Luckily I came from "Another" airline so the need to make a reference about Piedmont still amazes me. Regardless of the roots it can be clear: Piedmont was known (and admired for their customer service) whereas the cool Northern efficeincy of USAir/Allegheny came across as Cold and indifferent. By all means Not ALL the people but you don't get the name of Agony Airlines IF the experience was pleasureable. I have worked with people from ALL sides (some great, some good and some I'd rather forget). I have been based in the North/West/South.....like the people in those areas it is a little different but nothing is IMPOSSIBLE if people get over the ignorance.

What? Just what is the "Southern mentality"? Is it integrated schools that don't exist in places like Boston? Does it include the fact that it never saw race riots in the 60s like Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Washington and Baltimore? That it was the seventh fastest growing city in the United Sates between 2000 and 2006? Please, tell me what my mentality is?
Here's a "f'r instance."

Perhaps the reference is to the mentality of people who do things like amend their state constitutions to ban same-sex marriage.

You don't find that in LA, Boston, Chicago, or Washington (and I don't think so in Baltimore or Detroit either, but I'm not 100% sure about those). Or NY, NJ, the rest of New England, the Pacific Northwest, etc.

Here's a "f'r instance."

Perhaps the reference is to the mentality of people who do things like amend their state constitutions to ban same-sex marriage.

SKY HIGH states: Yeppers, the bible belt. (need I say more?)

only stating opinions.

Before this veers off course, let me clarify that I am not trying to turn this into a gay rights thread. I am only pointing out that it is disingenuous to try to argue that there is not a certain "mentality" towards certain social issues that is found in the South much more than in some other regions of the country. Why bother to pretend otherwise.