Flight number "427" no longer retired.

Well just looked this saturday it is US/HP493 3:44PM - 6:23 PM and weekdays it is US/HP500 3:44PM-6:23 PM (RENO-PHX)

Looks like someone did an OHH CR** moment and fixed it.

I worked family support for 427, 1016, 405, 1492, 5050 and (forgive me, I can't recall the number, the Air Midwest CLT accident). NONE of those numbers should ever be used. For East folks, they represent very dark days. Not to mention, more importantly, the families who lost loved ones. How insensitive to have a US427 out there.

There is a tail number in the fleet N427US (B737-400) that I won't fly on....Ironically, it's on an EAS poster.

The emotional aftermath of 427 was gut wrenching.

I'm sorry, but other than the year columbus discovered america, what is the significance of 1492?

I'm sorry, but other than the year columbus discovered america, what is the significance of 1492?
1493 was the 737-300 that landed on top of a commuter plane at LAX and crashed due to air traffic control tower error i think 12 on the commuter and may be like 14 or so on the jet i cant remember.

I worked family support for 427, 1016, 405, 1492, 5050 and (forgive me, I can't recall the number, the Air Midwest CLT accident). NONE of those numbers should ever be used. For East folks, they represent very dark days. Not to mention, more importantly, the families who lost loved ones. How insensitive to have a US427 out there.

There is a tail number in the fleet N427US (B737-400) that I won't fly on....Ironically, it's on an EAS poster.

It was Air Midwest Flight 5481, a Beech 1900. Air Midwest is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mesa Air Group, is a regional carrier operating as US Airways Express.

Technically the flight is still an "America West Airlines" flight number and that is probably where the oversight lies. Over the years our mainline flights in the Phoenix-El Paso market have always been operated as flights 421, 423, 425, 427, etc. America West Airlines, thank God, has never had to permanently retire a flight number in their history as a result of a tragedy. However as we begin merging operations, I do believe that these factors do need to be recognized and respected.

........... With this merger we have taken on the history of US Airways...both good and bad...and should be sensitive to this history.

Thanks for the background info. Better a historical flight number that wasn't changed when the US designator was added (true, it should have been )than it being a new flight number.

Well just looked this saturday it is US/HP493 3:44PM - 6:23 PM and weekdays it is US/HP500 3:44PM-6:23 PM (RENO-PHX)

Looks like someone did an OHH CR** moment and fixed it.

427 still operates, SAT only, SFO=PHX and PHX ELP

It's one thing to not use a flight number any more. I personally think it's silly but I respect other's opinions on the subject, which apparently outnumber mine by a large margin.

But when you avoiding flying a plane with a tail number of 427, which has zero to do with a flight number 427, you're being ridiculous. Maybe you should seek counseling. An irrational fear of "427" is not something to be overlooked when the safety of flight is in your hands.

And why is that ironic that it's on an EAS poster?

Okay so fill me in so I don't have to read all 5 pages. I checked last night and no 427 flying out of Reno. Is it now to ELP??

Latest posts