Fll Announcement On Monday At 10:30

Nice twisting of the facts. No one signs an authorization card to join, only to to have a representation vote. No one I know in Material Control signed those cards. I worked the night we found out we were accreded in, and it was a third shift stock clerk in IND telling us about it, no one from the union came to see us.

Fot the record, a Material Control Unit Supervisor was negotiating for the company, and I was selected to go represent us, but I was never invited to any negotiation after the first meeting, nor was anything communicated to me depsite repeated requests. Please post factual items in the future.

My apologies to rest of the board for this going off topic, but I could not stand to allow facts to be twisted.

N628AU said:
Nice twisting of the facts. No one signs an authorization card to join, only to to have a representation vote. No one I know in Material Control signed those cards. I worked the night we found out we were accreded in, and it was a third shift stock clerk in IND telling us about it, no one from the union came to see us.

Fot the record, a Material Control Unit Supervisor was negotiating for the company, and I was selected to go represent us, but I was never invited to any negotiation after the first meeting, nor was anything communicated to me depsite repeated requests. Please post factual items in the future.

My apologies to rest of the board for this going off topic, but I could not stand to allow facts to be twisted.
[post="171576"][/post]​
There is no twisting of facts, yes your group wanted IAM Representation, I said join, your saying I twisted facts is a play on words. When you sign an A-Card it is calling for an election within your group to join a union.

And funny since according to the NMB case the IAM filed to hold an election, now you need 35% to file for an election and the IAM never files unless it has 50% of the cards.

And I saw cards where your group, the planners signed cards, there were even meetings held at the CLT local where some of your GROUP came to get information. Not my fault if you never came.

And if you were selected why did you just stay at work and not find out what was happening? Only person you have to blame is yourself. And the "supervisors" were not real supervisors since they did not have the power to hire and fire, that is why they were converted to senior material controllers.

So are you saying what the NMB is lying too?

Time to take your head out of the sand and see what is going on.

WARNING- Many of the posts here have NOTHING AT ALL to do with US announcing FLL service. Cease and desist IMMEDIATELY with the off topic posts or it will be a ***time out***. We are having trouble with the moderator functions, but will split this topic asap and you can continue to post in the new thread. In the mean time HOLD IT IN or TIME OUT.
Thanks.

USA320Pilot said:
5,276 feet is a very short runway for takeoff.

To be comfortable most aircraft need about 7,500 feet and more like 9,000 feet. There are a host of reasons why: contaminated runways (rain, snow, etc.), high temperatures reduce performance, heavy gross weight takeoffs with reduced takeoff performance, severe weather, and aircraft malfunctions, such as hydraulic failures, brake failures, engine failures on takeoff, and stopping distance if you have to do reject a takeoff at a high speed.

There are many reasons why longer runways are safer because runway behind you is "no good".

In regard to an AA retaliation for the FLL expansion, with a competitive cost structure who cares? AA would then not make as much money as US and considering the Ft. Worth-based carrier is losing a lot of money, are they going to lose more by depressing ticket prices?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="171430"][/post]​

USA320
Point taken but the fact of the matter is you are both losing money. It is just a matter of who has more to lose. US does not have a deal yet with its employees. You said it best when you said "with a competitive cost structure, how cares?" You have to get a cost structure first that is competitive. The destinations are one thing but the origination point is what is likely to sparke a fare war. AA is much stronger in south florida carribean markets primarily because of the strenght of its MIA hub. UAL couldnt compete out of MIA either.

This could also be a move to increase value a little for the fire sale when Bronner comes to collect. I am sure CAL who has a strong presence there would love to fill in that gap created.

I agree also with a320 about the runway, long runways are better and of the 3 runways at FLL, only 1 is used most of the time by the large AC. Other AC use an additional one when things get backed up.

Can anyone else elaborate on additional customs facilities? Does the newer CAL/SWA terminal have a customs facility of its own? Ive only seen the one and most everyone uses it for arrivals.

While you may enjoy speculating about AA's response to US' expansion in FLL, keep in mind that DL, not AA, is the dominant airline in FLL and every other Florida city expect MIA. Any strategy that involves running smack dab into the heart of not one but two much bigger (and at least relatively stronger) competitiors seems fool hardy at best. If US had concessions, that would be one thing...but they don't.

Is it possible that they FLL announcement is a "carrot on a stick" to get the ALPA membership to approve more concessions? If it looks like you will get some growth and movement, you are more likely to vote yes...right?

LGA777 said:
MAH4546, I agree with you that AA will have the upper hand and yes they are in a much better cash position. However there is one majoir advantage for US this time.. I have heard countless stories from the Latin community from many differnet Latin countries where AA has a large or dominant pressence in the US market that they HATE AA but fly them because they have to.

They do not have to fly AA. The only Central America routes where AA does not have non-stop compietition are Belize City and Liberia, and those are mainly American tourists. The only South American route which AA does not have non-stop compietition are Miami-Montevideo and Miami-Guayquil. That's it. In every case, they can fly another airline, non-stop. And they still choose to fly AA, because AA provides, in most cases, the most reliable service, with the best frequency and most friendly schedules. If they really didn't like AA that much, they can fly Copa, Taca, LanChile, Avianca, LanPeru, LanEcuador, Varig, TAM, Air d'Ayiti, DCA, LACSA, Aerolineas Argentinas, Southern Winds Lineas Areas...and so on and so on. There are plenty of choices in the market.

I am doubting US Airways will do well. They will, as there is plenty of room for them, and using the Lauderdale gateway is a great idea. I do, however, don't think they are going to hurt AA.

Also as Iberia is dismantling their MIA mini-hub that is one less carrier or flight per day in markets like MIA to SJO, GUA, PTY and CUN. I belive MIA-CUN is the only one IB cannot carrly local traffic between, so this should increase demand in the above markets with IB gone !
[post="171463"][/post]​

American Airlines and others are picking up the slack on frequencies. They are adding flights where Iberia is dropping. AA will be adding to SJO, CUN, SAP, and SAL, and TACA is adding to MGA and GUA, Martinair is adding more flights on MIA-SJO, and AeroMexico will operate MIA-CUN year-round now. The only market that, so far, isn't gaining capacity is PTY.

WorldTraveler said:
While you may enjoy speculating about AA's response to US' expansion in FLL, keep in mind that DL, not AA, is the dominant airline in FLL and every other Florida city expect MIA.
[post="171607"][/post]​

Delta couldn't care less. They don't fly customers between South Florida and the Caribbean/Central America, and have slowed their growth from Ft. Lauderdale as of late, reducing frequencies and dropping flights to Newark and, soon, Washington National. American Airlines cares. They have doubled their FLL presence, are now the second largest airline at the airport, and provide the airline with key links to cities like Port Au Prince, Santo Domingo, Caracas, and high frequency of flights to key markets like Los Angeles (4 dailies). American Airlines is protective of FLL, Delta is not.

I'm just excited to see US expanding service. I don't want to see ANY airline employee lose their job because of downsizing or liquidation. I think this is a positive move and I'm glad for my friends at US. Finally something positive for everyone. Sure, some people have to be negative and find fault in everything but these people would be unhappy no matter what!

MAH,
I think you will be sorely surprised when DL decided to lower the boom on US. I don't know of a business in the country that is going to sit by idly when a competitor shows up in town. DL could all of the sudden decide that BOSDCA really needs to be Shuttle service after all. CLTLLGA would fit real nice in their portfolio as well. You're delusional if you don't think DL and AA will both find someplace on US' route system to add a few of their aircraft.

Autofixer,
of course this is a huge carrot - attached to a very long stick. As soon as you and the creditors lean towards the carrot, you'll get whacked by the stick. The wage concession demands won't change one iota because of this announcement.

WorldTraveler said:
MAH,
I think you will be sorely surprised when DL decided to lower the boom on US. I don't know of a business in the country that is going to sit by idly when a competitor shows up in town. DL could all of the sudden decide that BOSDCA really needs to be Shuttle service after all. CLTLLGA would fit real nice in their portfolio as well. You're delusional if you don't think DL and AA will both find someplace on US' route system to add a few of their aircraft.

[post="171696"][/post]​

I have said numerous times that AA will respond. I have it with good sources that they are working on their response as we speak, and it likely includes FLL-DCA, FLL-SJO, and another surprise or two. I do not think Delta will respond, however. They have never been responsive in the South Florida marketplace.

nycbusdriver said:
FLL is, for all intents and purposes, a one runway airport for jet airline operations. The diagonal and parallel runways are noise sensitive in the EXTREME! Back in the Piedmont Florida Shuttle days, they tried to use the short parallel for F28 operations and the folks from the surrounding neighborhoods nearly had a lynching party for the airport manager. The airline had to promise NOT to use that runway for jets in order to keep the peace. The diagonal is only used by jets when there is no other alternative, and it is also fairly short.

The one runway operation should be sufficient under most circumstance as long as USAirways doesn't do a PHL number and try to schedule all the airplanes to arrive and depart at the same times. It may become a problem if USAirways actually becomes successful in the effort at FLL and the inevitable vultures show up to add competing service. Then runway saturation might be a factor.
[post="171540"][/post]​

NYC is right. FLL is essentially a one runway operation. Both arrivals and departures must use the same runway, making it worse then even PHL for hub type ops.

Back in the day, it wasn't so bad, but FLL has seen a high level of growth in the last couple of years with the addition of Spirit and JetBlue, plus the other operators who have increased their presence. The extension of the south parallel is years away, if ever.

It's not uncommon to drive by on I-95 and see a 10-12 plane line for takeoff. This is even in good weather. Add the common afternoon thunderstorms PLUS competing for airspace with the MIA arrivals and departures, and it can be a real mess.

Nu

Enough of the negativity. This is an uncharacteristically bold and positive move by the US Airways marketing team. For once, they are going on the offensive. Re-deploying assets from all the overlapping hubs in the Northeast makes a lot of sense. The yields are going to be a lot higher to Latin America, and it should slow any future plans by Spirit or other LCC's to get too much of a foothold in the region.

Maybe we can re-name Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood in honor of Dr. Big mouth........

How about FORT LIQUIDATION :lol: :lol:

Does this send mixed signals or what ???

"The yields are going to be a lot higher to Latin America, and it should slow any future plans by Spirit or other LCC's to get too much of a foothold in the region."

Doubtful, I think they will estalish routes as they deem fit.