Free Passes,

Trin03 said:
Not when it is a bribe. Look, sometimes you just have to stand strong and stand up for yourself.

So they throw a dog a bone? Big Deal? What good does it do when you have to chase the bone down like a greyhound at a dog race?

All the employees at this company wanted was truth, honesty and a fair shake. Instead all we get is lies and more deceit.
[post="199172"][/post]​

The only time they "reward" employees is when they are simultaniously picking their pockets. :angry:

Maybe the company will pay any taxes due on these "free" passes. That's what they do for the top execs and directors when they use the free F/C travel included in their contracts.

Jim

Well, I have to say (from the outside) that at the very least, it's a nice first step in the right direction to reward employees for doing the right thing. Yes, it does stand in contrast to the lack of rewards/recognition in the past, but they've got to start somewhere. Yes, you would probably have to pay tax on positive space tickets. And I suppose I'd want to see what sorts of restrictions (if any) were on the tickets (i.e. how difficult will it be to redeem them). But if cash is tight right now, seats may be one of the few things they can afford to give away.

Continental's Ford Explorer giveaways are probably one of the best investments they've ever made. I think they've said several times that they spend far less on those Explorers than they would have spent trying to cover employee absences, and that absenteeism dropped dramatically. Of course, the company has also walked the walk in treating its employees with dignity and respect during the years that Bethune has been CEO.

If I were a US employee, I'd have to view this as a bit of a gamble. The reward is only useful if the company makes it through to February -- so if you believe in the future of the company, you try your best to get those free tickets.

This "Free Passes" stuff ranks even lower than the Cheese Wheel we got years ago.......I take my "mental health" days off as needed, thank you.

sfb,

Although I don't disagree with the gist of what you said, a couple of points come to mind....

1 - Space positive for the employees generally means ahead of the other non-revs, not a guaranteed seat. Whether these will be different is an open question.

2 - If taxes are due, it's generally on the value of a full fare coach ticket. With fares where they are, and obviously depending on the tax bracket of the individual, a regular discount ticket could be as cheap plus have all the benefits that go with being a "regular customer".

Jim

OK....to all the nay sayers on here....if you knew the holidays were coming, and your employees were disgruntled to say the least, what would you do to offer an incentive to ensure that the biggest revenue producing days of the 4th quarter went off without a hitch? And before you say it....returning the concessions is not an option and cash is extremely tight. They are usiing the resources that cost the company very little in cash to try and give the employees an incentive to come to work when they are supposed to.

The items listed in the lottery are probably corporate doantions and not something the company had to go out and purchase. Perhaps US donated space positive tickets to those companies to be used at their holiday parties. Again, paying out cash is not an option, so how would you motivate employees to work their shifts and get us through the holidays?

BoeingBoy said:
1 - Space positive for the employees generally means ahead of the other non-revs, not a guaranteed seat. Whether these will be different is an open question.

That was one of the things that wasn't exactly clear to me, either. "Space positive" tickets would be great if they're like, say, a Southwest Rapid Rewards ticket, which you can use any time they have a seat available (aside from roughly 15 blackout dates, on average, per year). They're not so great if they're like restricted frequent flyer awards (i.e. Standard Awards in Dividend Miles). Or if it's still basically standby travel where paying customers can bump you.

2 - If taxes are due, it's generally on the value of a full fare coach ticket. With fares where they are, and obviously depending on the tax bracket of the individual, a regular discount ticket could be as cheap plus have all the benefits that go with being a "regular customer".

If the taxes due are calculated based on the value of a full coach ticket, I'd also say "thanks, but no thanks," given how much full coach tickets cost. You are correct in that a regular discount ticket would generally cost less than the tax liability. To take an extreme example, the Y fare from BOS to CUN is (are you sitting down?) $4246 round-trip. :D :D :D Discounted coach runs as low as $308 round-trip, so you'd be far better off just buying your own ticket.

I guess, as always, the devil will be in the details.

I think it's a step in the right direction, although what US employee other than management and above can afford to go anywhere space positive or not - most of us are worried about the house, the car payment, food on the table for family. Maybe grocery store gift cards would be more appropriate.......

ok my question is this: if mainline and midatlantic are in this program, does mainline express and the express stations get a chance or are they left overs from a thanksgiving meal with virtually no chance of trying to win these "free tickets"?

big deal they can keep there free ticket .there going to give them out because there wont be any paying pas.

WestCoastGuy said:
This "Free Passes" stuff ranks even lower than the Cheese Wheel we got years ago.......I take my "mental health" days off as needed, thank you.
[post="199260"][/post]​

HELL WITH THOSE PASSES..WILL HAVE TO PAY TAX ON THEM FOR SURE...NO TAX ON THAT CHEESE WHEEL AND IT CAN MAKE ALOT OF MAC -N- CHEESE SINCE AFTER THE HOUSE PAYMENT/CAR INSURANCE AND UTILITIES..THERE ISNT MUCH LEFT TO TAKE THE WIFE AND KIDS OUT ANYMORE. :(

There is an assumption that you have some money to spend when you get there - which rules out most destinations except the in-laws.

MarkMyWords said:
OK....to all the nay sayers on here....if you knew the holidays were coming, and your employees were disgruntled to say the least, what would you do to offer an incentive to ensure that the biggest revenue producing days of the 4th quarter went off without a hitch? And before you say it....returning the concessions is not an option and cash is extremely tight. They are usiing the resources that cost the company very little in cash to try and give the employees an incentive to come to work when they are supposed to.

The items listed in the lottery are probably corporate doantions and not something the company had to go out and purchase. Perhaps US donated space positive tickets to those companies to be used at their holiday parties. Again, paying out cash is not an option, so how would you motivate employees to work their shifts and get us through the holidays?
[post="199270"][/post]​

MarkMyWords,

I seem to remember a previous CEO saying that the employee's paychecks should be enough motivation. You do the math on that one. By the way, I've never heard of a "holiday party" at USair. I do remember some good ones at other outfits, familys and all. Nothing fancy, mutual respect, good food, holiday season, glad to be there. Even proud to be at some.

Well, I have to work Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years Eve, Does that mean I get 6 pos. space tickets? Even if I am credited with one set, if I use it will I get that "well it's really not positve space, you can still get bumped by a rev. pax BS?

Latest posts