Hand Pay

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
As we approach March, and hopefully the filing date for an election the nearly 9000 of us that have already filled out cards can do more to help the AMFA drive.

The time has come for Hand Pay.

Some would ask what going to "hand Pay" would accomplish?

It will put pressure on the union. It will strain their resources, resources that would otherwise be directed at fighting off AMFA. By denying the TWU its uninterupted dues flow that it now gets free of cost and automatically the TWU has plenty of money to use to fight AMFA. They are using our money to fight the union that we want-they are using our money to fight us. By going to hand pay the union will tie up huge amounts of time and expense collecting our money. They will no longer just automatically have our money transferred into their accounts. Instead they will have to monitor and notify us to pay. They have to notify us by registered mail which costs at least $3 per member plus the time to write up the notifications and process. I estimate that for each notification, between postage, time and materials the union will have to spend at least $10 to recover their dues from us. If we dont pay until notified, every 60 days, it would cost the TWU over $500,000 dollars to try and collect their dues. Thats $500,000 less that they have to fight AMFA. In the meantime if they cut back on anything else it would simply strengthen the case for AMFA and could leave them open to a DFR lawsuit.

There is no penalty for going to Hand Pay. Members can be in good standing and on Hand Pay and are entitled to all rights as members if they are hand paying.

Lets go on HAND PAY Now!

Lets not help the TWU fight AMFA!

Lets no longer give the TWU a free ride at our expense. If they want their money they will have to come to us for it!

Make them work for their money.

We cant hold them accountable but we can at least make them come to us for the money they extort from us!

Its easy to do. Simply notify Payroll through JETNET that you no longer give AA authorization to withdraw dues from your paycheck and that you will take care of it yourself. Also, notify your local.

The company may resist at first as they did with me, claiming that the Union must give them permission but that is not the case. Depending on what state you live in the only one who has permission, other than the courts, to grant authorizations for payroll deductions other than taxes is the employee. You have every right to withdraw the authoriztion that you granted when you filled out the authorization form when you hired on.
In the case of TWA workers they may not have ever filled out an authorization form.

Are you advocating members to be fired?

Are you advocating the members to pay late fees and re-instatement fees?

Or are you requesting them to remember to pay each month?

That's right CIO, just like they have to remembber to pay their Mortgage, utility bills, car payments, etc.

Checking it Out said:

So the TWU is going to fire 9000 mechanics?

Where does the union have the right to charge late and reinstatement "fees" if they never even notified the person to pay?

That will make a nice lawsuit.

Checking it Out said:

No, Bob is advocating that AMTs fight FOR their profession and drive home the message that the twu is finished at AA representing AMTs. Where will all the no name alias posting twu officials go when AMFA kicks out the twu?

I believe what Bob Owens is advocating is the right of the member to use the contractual language of Article 38 of the AA/TWU agreement.

Anyone who would like to exercise your contractual right under Article 38, ensure that you read and understand it in it's entirety. I have been on Hand Pay for many years. Actually I have practiced No Pay while I wait for the TWU to enforce Article 38. I have been as much as 14 or 15 months in arrears. Do not be intimidated, stand up for your rights. Do not believe the lies that CIO will spread and is already spreading. If you follow the contract you cannot be fired. If you were to find yourself in the position of termination, it is the TWU who has the company fire you and only if you violate the contract. The TWU does not want you to go on hand pay because it makes them work for your dues. Become educated concerning this subject, it is your right.

Again I have a lot of experience with this issue. If you have any questions, just ask.

Checking it Out said:

I've been on hand pay for many years now. The longest I've gone is 2 years without paying. There are no late fees or re-instatement fees. It's no big deal although the twu does go through alot of postage. Thanks to the ruling at Alaskan, there may be quite a few twu members receiving refunds. We're still checking it out.
Here's to the twu...........
Helping lead the way for AMFA at AA...............
cheers..........

Everyone should go to hand pay across the system, The TWU is the most corrupt Union. You are well within your rights to go to hand pay and come off check off. Better yet file for agency fee status. Its not much of a difference in monies due, but it better reinforces the message. This needs to go system wide across the board not just one local. Show unity and keep your money, the TWU damm well does not care about the membership or our problems. :ph34r:

MADAMT said:
Everyone should go to hand pay across the system, The TWU is the most corrupt Union. You are well within your rights to go to hand pay and come off check off. Better yet file for agency fee status. Its not much of a difference in monies due, but it better reinforces the message. This needs to go system wide across the board not just one local. Show unity and keep your money, the TWU damm well does not care about the membership or our problems. :ph34r:
Its too late to go Agency Fee for this year. However Hand pay can be done at any time.

Bob Owens said:
Its too late to go Agency Fee for this year. However Hand pay can be done at any time.
NOT TRUE Bob,

Although the TWU Agency Fee Policy claims you must submit in January, Supreme Court has overturned this position and you can go to Agency Fee anytime of the year you wish.

This has been the case for a few years now.

The current TWU Policy also claims that you have to go through "arbitration" to challenge the calculations of non-germane expenditures. However Miller vs ALPA, decided in 1998 also proves that this position by the TWU is not consistent with Federal Law either.

Miller vs ALPA

I will try to find the case that makes the January only policy illegal also.

TWU informer said:
NOT TRUE Bob,

Although the TWU Agency Fee Policy claims you must submit in January, Supreme Court has overturned this position and you can go to Agency Fee anytime of the year you wish.

This has been the case for a few years now.

The current TWU Policy also claims that you have to go through "arbitration" to challenge the calculations of non-germane expenditures. However Miller vs ALPA, decided in 1998 also proves that this position by the TWU is not consistent with Federal Law either.

Miller vs ALPA

I will try to find the case that makes the January only policy illegal also.
Thanks. Once again I stand corrected. Thats what I get for believing what the TWU writes.

Ok fellas lets start going agency fee also.

I sent mine in Jan 29.

Hand pay interesting Idea ;)

I will have to check into it. :shock:

Mainly because it will upset the pathalogical liar CIO :lol:

If AMFA does win then I guess I won't have to pay any money owed right.

God Damn Bob you still don’t have that $100,000.00 Dollar a year job you must not be trying to hard to find one as smart as you are you shouldn’t have any problem to find one unless NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU.

James T. Kirk said:
God Damn Bob you still don’t have that $100,000.00 Dollar a year job you must not be trying to hard to find one as smart as you are you shouldn’t have any problem to find one unless NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU.
Now that was a well thought out and very intelligent statement.

The thing is though, I don't understand the meaning?

"God Damn Bob you still don’t have that $100,000.00 Dollar a year job you must not be trying to hard to find one as smart as you are you shouldn’t have any problem to find one unless NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that proper grammar is the real "final frontier."