HNL service

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/6/2003 2:56:18 PM ITRADE wrote:

Wasn't this a result of some dispute between pilots and company re: rest seats or sleeping quarters?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Believe you are correct, and believe the nonstops ended in '01 when 767-400s replaced L-1011s on the HNL routes.

[BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/7/2003 7:54:33 AM JFK777 wrote: [BR][BR]This business of "sleeper Seats" for pilots to HNL on the 764 is ridiculous. Dal should have nonstop to HNL from ATL and DFW. DAL should put the seats in and be done with it. DAL's 764 have the WORST configuration of any 767 I can think of(any version). CAL, the other 764 airline (they are the only two), has Business FIRT and uses them to Europe. DAL uses them primarily from ATL for domestic flights. DAL should use the 764 a junior 777 for trip to Europe and HNL. If any airplane deserves the "Ultimate Sardine Award" it's DAL's 764. This is a great airplane, treat it as such, it should BusinessElie.----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]I'll agree with you that the 764 is a sardine can in DL's configuration. However, DL would be foolish to put BusinessElite in a plane that predominantly flies low-yield leisure routes to Florida and HNL. BE is targeted primarily at business travelers for long-haul international flights. It would be a real waste to install BE in a plane doing ATL-FLL runs all day long.[BR][BR]The 764 is not appropriate to fly most of DL's European routes. DL flies to many secondary European markets where the 764 would be too large....especially in the winter. Even on the routes where the 764 would be appropriate (ATL-LGW,ATL-CDG,ATL-FRA), DL would be better served using the 777. For future European/Asian growth, DL needs 777's not 764's.[BR][BR]As to the original question, DFW-HNL was axed not reallly because of crew rest issues, but more because of financial issues. The route was a huge loser. The only way DL could fill the plane was either award tickets or heavy discounting. I realize many flights operating to HNL aren't big money makers, but DFW-HNL performed terribly even by HNL standards.[BR][BR]ATL-HNL is a slightly different beast. There are the crew rest issues which are largely a battle of egos between DL management and DALPA. The question is who has the bigger ego? Tough call. [BR][BR]I believe DL could give the pilots the crew rest they want and still make money on ATL-HNL. However, other extraneous factors have blocked this from happening.

This business of "sleeper Seats" for pilots to HNL on the 764 is ridiculous. Dal should have nonstop to HNL from ATL and DFW. DAL should put the seats in and be done with it. DAL's 764 have the WORST configuration of any 767 I can think of(any version). CAL, the other 764 airline (they are the only two), has Business FIRT and uses them to Europe. DAL uses them primarily from ATL for domestic flights. DAL should use the 764 a junior 777 for trip to Europe and HNL. If any airplane deserves the "Ultimate Sardine Award" it's DAL's 764. This is a great airplane, treat it as such, it should BusinessElie.

Seems like HNL service has real pilot staffing issues. Somewhere in Aviation Daily or Aviation Week I read about a spat between AA's pilots and management over its DFW-HNL service. Apparently the journey is almost long enough to require a relief pilot. And, the acutal flying time actually exceeds the requirement if the wind is not very favorable. But, it seems the blocked time is just under the limit.

With the continued downsizing of DFW I wouldn't look for nonstop DFW-HNL flying to resume anytime soon, if ever. ATL-HNL would still make sense if the rest issues can be resolved.[BR][BR]Rumors abound that Hawaiian is going to start HNL-ATL service with 763's in the spring. I'll add that IF they do and IF a codeshare and/or marketing agreement with AirTran ever comes about, watch for DAL to resolve any crew rest issue ASAP.

Can somebody confirm if CO has beds on their planes going from EWR to HNL? If they don't DL pilots need to suck it up and stop whining! Otherwise, maybe we should ask CO to take care of hiring for DL...apparently they're able to find the superiorly engineered humans who can stay awake?!?!?!

flyhigh, Do you fly for a Major airline? I believe that your comment is pretty naive. Maybe you should become part of the international flying group before you make a comment like that. There is someone out there that will do your job for less than perfect situation and pay. There is a freight co. that I will not mention, that flys dc-9s and uses the jump seat for a rest station. Do you think that the industry should come to that? If you do not work for an airline I hope you get hired by that freight co. and then maybe you will change your tune.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/7/2003 6:56:13 PM flyhigh wrote:

Can somebody confirm if CO has beds on their planes going from EWR to HNL? If they don't DL pilots need to suck it up and stop whining! Otherwise, maybe we should ask CO to take care of hiring for DL...apparently they're able to find the superiorly engineered humans who can stay awake?!?!?!
----------------
[/blockquote]

http://www.uaw.org/hs/01/02/hs03.html

It sounds cool for guys to brag about how tough they are when commenting on sleep deprivation and flying, but the MEDICAL FACTS paint a dif picture. A pilot saying he can "fly just fine" on little sleep is no diff than a drunk who thinks he's "OK to drive" after a few rounds. The diff is a drunk driver isn't dealing with 300 pax and a significantly more complex task.

Sorry for believing that a union shouldn't be able to render a company uncompetitive. If it is legal, and CO's pilots can somehow make the journey, I fail to see the reason a DL pilot can't make the same trip.

I'm starting to think Boeing should invest more heavily in unmanned aircraft...those dronse sure looked like they could handle the flying ok...