Holly Hegeman FA smackdown!

Nov 11 Hotline:

The company has responded to APFA's request for mediation and has agreed to meet. The parties are in the process of scheduling meetings for next week. The company has made clear that mediation will be restricted to narrowing the issues to be presented in arbitration and determining the arbitration protocol.

As soon as the dates are finalized, APFA will update the membership.

That sounds pretty discouraging, at least for those who are still holding out for some sort of miracle to appear out of Parker's ass.

kirkpatrick said:
Nov 11 Hotline:

The company has responded to APFA's request for mediation and has agreed to meet. The parties are in the process of scheduling meetings for next week. The company has made clear that mediation will be restricted to narrowing the issues to be presented in arbitration and determining the arbitration protocol.
As soon as the dates are finalized, APFA will update the membership.
I hold out hope.

Now that the frustration vote is out if the way, I think you all can work with the company and tweak around the edges. Do this now using the mediation clause. I think the company and the union do not want arbitration. It will poison relations for the duration of the CBA.

Keep emotion in check and focus on the issues in contention and (IMHO) we will be discussing the newly ratified CBA by 2015.

jimntx said:
Senario 1:
Both the company and the union agree that the last sentence in Paragraph 5 of the Negotiation Protocol calls for one last-ditch effort at mediation before sending it to the arbitrators.  Mediation is not a forced finality.  If the company, the union, and the mediator come to agreement, it will be a Tentative Agreement.  TAs must be voted on by the membership in order to be ratified.

Scenario 2: (This thought just occurred.)
On the other hand, there is always the possibility that the company and the union will simply agree to a package to be presented to the arbitrator.  If that is the case, it will make the arbitrator's job infinitely easier.  All he/she has to do is rubber stamp the agreement.  Done and done.  No doubt the whiners will start up that they didn't get a chance to approve it.  That's what happens in binding arbitration which the whiners forced on the rest of us.  Someone else makes the decision for you.  And that someone is constrained from adding anything new to the contract.  They are there to decide what gets cut from the rejected TA to get it down to "market aggregate."  If the company and the union decide that in advance, the arbitrator won't have a lot to do.

I must be psychic.  Note the above quote from the APFA Negotiations Hotline..."The company has made clear that mediation will be restricted to narrowing the issues to be presented in arbitration and determining the arbitration protocol."

Evidently it is to be Scenario 2:  Find $92 million (or 82 or 88 whichever number your source provided) to cut out of the TA and impose what's left on the flight attendants.The company is just as pleased a punch that we are going to arbitration, and on the way the NO voters have just given back almost $100 million to the company that the arbitrator can not restore.  Hope they are all happy.  

Reactions: 2 people
That's consistent with Glading's earlier statements that there wouldn't be any more substantive negotiation if this TA were rejected, as Parker told her that it was the company's LBFO.

It's a $100 million a year the mechanics and pilots can fight over.

jimntx said:
I must be psychic.  Note the above quote from the APFA Negotiations Hotline..."The company has made clear that mediation will be restricted to narrowing the issues to be presented in arbitration and determining the arbitration protocol."

Evidently it is to be Scenario 2:  Find $92 million (or 82 or 88 whichever number your source provided) to cut out of the TA and impose what's left on the flight attendants.The company is just as pleased a punch that we are going to arbitration, and on the way the NO voters have just given back almost $100 million to the company that the arbitrator can not restore.  Hope they are all happy.
This is not over yet. Arbitrators will always side on mutual terms.

We will see.

FWAAA said:
That's consistent with Glading's earlier statements that there wouldn't be any more substantive negotiation if this TA were rejected, as Parker told her that it was the company's LBFO.

It's a $100 million a year the mechanics and pilots can fight over.
I expect formal thank you notes from those two groups.  None of this "purchased in the card section at Wal-Mart" commercial stuff.  Only formal thank you notes will do.  $100 million dollars is not chump change.  Merry Christmas pilots and mechanics.  :lol:

Reactions: 4 people
kirkpatrick said:
You can't even govern your own poeple.

We voted yes.

Get your own house in order.

ps. Do you guys even know what "me to's" are?

AA

I've been through one merger (TWA) and lost a lot more than you ever will. 

MK
I've been through FOUR count them FOUR mergers and you have NO idea what I have lost.

If you guys think failed leadership handcuffing us to a one shot vote should be allowed to stick around then you have another thing coming.

The stratetegic mistake was LG making a unilateral deal that gave the impression that:

1. She could have done this in negotiations.

2. What else can she fix?

For this yes voter it gave me an uneasy feeling that she is too close to management.

What is insulting is the lack of consequences for such a blunder.

You may have noticed that in the pilot negociations THE COMPANY made the announcement about the change in RJ scope.

Also, can someone please tell me WHO was the genius who committed blunder #1 where we would go BEFORE the pilots? Who does that?

Was it LG?

Reactions: 2 people
It seems that the APFA asks the co what they want and then try to sell it to the members, it should be the other way around. I don't expect too much from the APFA so im never disappointed! But I would never want to work as a FA without a union so we have to work with what we got. It seems like the union leadership starts out with good intentions but they gradually start getting too cozy with the co. (not all of them but LG has gotten too cozy with Parker and Kirby) Attending Kirbys wedding? Really?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't get why it's such a bad idea to have a good working relationship with management...? Southwest's labor unions are very cozy with management, and it works well for them: they lead the industry in compensation.

Reactions: 3 people
AdAstraPerAspera said:
I don't get why it's such a bad idea to have a good working relationship with management...? Southwest's labor unions are very cozy with management, and it workis part well for them: they lead the industry in compensation.
I think you example is a good one. The reason the Southwest model has worked is the fact that the management team there has always been happy employees makes for profits and thus happy shareholders. I believe there is a quote from Herb to that effect somewhere. of couse that has changed a little since Herb is not directly involved.

For US they have had revolving door management that for the last 20 years has been trying to merge with someone or spending time in Bankrupcy. Their philosophy has been the opposite. They have rewarded themselves with "retention bonuses" and other niceties while continually asking employees to donate to their cause in the name of shareholder value. I guess Southwest business plan was to reward everyone and not just themselves.

They can have a professional relationship with management without working for them. According to the union, "you are the union". They work for you, not the other way around.

aa philosophy with its employees is pretty much the same or "we are not happy till our not happy"
you think the apfa was bad wait till you see the twu in action.

AdAstraPerAspera said:
I don't get why it's such a bad idea to have a good working relationship with management...? Southwest's labor unions are very cozy with management, and it works well for them: they lead the industry in compensation.
Does WN contract out to a union-busing firm to negotiate it’s union contracts

By the way, can someone please point out where it states that in mediation they will only discuss what they will arbitrate? Maybe I am missing it but I only see the terms for arbitratimg. I am not seeing this gag they have put on themselves during mediation. In less I missed it everyone should be reading these terms to your leadership. Mediation is suppose to look at issues and concerns for why it was defeated. Mediation SHOULD BE negotiationg terms to get it to pass. Why in the world your "leaders" would be putting out info defending the c8mpany stance is beyond me. Again, I understand the terms of the arbitration, but I am not seeing any restrictions to what can take place with mediation. They keep putting out drible that puts you in a position of weakness. Even if there are written terms that I missed, they should be putting out things that show they are doing everything to represent you to the fullest. They were even praising the pilot offer saying yours was even better. This is for You to decide and not them.

Latest posts