How Did We Get Where We Are?

cavalier said:
Personally I believe you're still in denial hoping against hope there will be a place left for you "if" there is an airline left. I have more time than you do and hold every license there is and can move anywhere in the system, but guess what? I feel it's hopeless and thinking otherwise is only delaying the inevitable need to make a life change. The benefits part was the kicker for me. I can do a lot better elsewhere for benefits and that is "before" anymore cuts! You can too if you just look around and stop dreaming. I understand they want to take down the mainline A/C number further and at your seniority one A/C will be too many, and they are looking at a hell of a lot more than one A/C.

On the one hand I can appreciate your mind set, you will probably never again find such a place to work unless you are one lucky SOB or have some heavy duty pull at some other desirable outfit.

I will not lie, it was not easy to let go, but it was necessary and I really believe it will become necessary for a lot more and fast if not for everyone and fast.

Good Luck in the game called life.....
[post="188832"][/post]​
It is some denial because at times I feel the end is near, but I stated my reasons why I stay and intitialy posted it was MY OPINION. You made a decision and that is good for you, I hope you do well. I stated nothing about benefits and am not dreaming, just hoping and hanging on. I have just about as much pull in another outfit as anyone else who has not left yet or has been handpicked by a headhunter. I do however kknow a lot of people who have left and have a pretty good reputation for being a hard worker. If I ever need a job and want to stay in the industry and move, I hope I can use one of them as a reference.
Like Forrest Gump states, "And thats all I have to say about that"! ;)

PITMTC said:
It is some denial because at times I feel the end is near, but I stated my reasons why I stay and intitialy posted it was MY OPINION. You made a decision and that is good for you, I hope you do well. I stated nothing about benefits and am not dreaming, just hoping and hanging on. I have just about as much pull in another outfit as anyone else who has not left yet or has been handpicked by a headhunter. I do however kknow a lot of people who have left and have a pretty good reputation for being a hard worker. If I ever need a job and want to stay in the industry and move, I hope I can use one of them as a reference.
Like Forrest Gump states, "And thats all I have to say about that"! ;)
[post="188862"][/post]​

Best Of Luck to you guy, only the best!

Why should the IAM make massive workrule changes for work we all ready knew was ours?

A Federal Judge and the Arbitration backed the IAM's contract.

That makes no sense what so ever.

And the Airbus ruling is damages is running $10 to $15 million which will be paid in full, regardless of the company being in bankruptcy protection.

700UW said:
I am not advocating the unions put US out of business, I was merely explaining to NFS, that the workers do have some power to wield.
[post="188860"][/post]​
Your Quote was... "the unions can put this place out of business" That IS what you said, and it is this "steel mill" mentality mindset that is DESTROYING "true" Unionism!!! I don't dispute what you say about the employees wielding some power, and yes, we should have a say. But..... they are in BK....THEY hold the cards.....YOUR fate, and everone else's, is in the hand s of a JUDGE!!!!!!! You better hope the IAM has some powerful info to counteract The companys' crying!!! ;)

700UW said:
And the Airbus ruling is damages is running $10 to $15 million which will be paid in full, regardless of the company being in bankruptcy protection.
[post="189115"][/post]​
LMFAO!!!!! Hey, everyone, when we all split this huge award money, lets have a big beer bash at 700's place!!! :up: Hell, I can't wait until this is awarded to the IAM, with U being in BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!

PineyBob said:
Delusional or not you can make a case that a proactive union could have done some sort of preemptive move. Like massive work rule changes in exchange for keeping Airbus MTC in house.

That may have kept the management at bay for this round. When you are ahead of the curve you are in the power seat. When you're behind the curve you take it in the seat.
[post="189065"][/post]​
Bob I remember you "beforeâ€￾ your meeting with management, since then your flavor has changed to a bitter taste towards labor, this is "fact" Bob, it's written in your posts for all to see.

You go out and bust your Ice for your bread and butter and that pisses you off because some union hack is doing just as well minus your sweat, but given the chance, you would trade shoes in a heart beat. Saying it isn’t so will make you a liar because I "know" the human condition and you are very human bobby boy being you just had a birthday confirms it.

NeedForSpeedNFS said:
LMFAO!!!!! Hey, everyone, when we all split this huge award money, lets have a big beer bash at 700's place!!! :up: Hell, I can't wait until this is awarded to the IAM, with U being in BANKRUPTCY!!!!!!!!!!
[post="189154"][/post]​

Go ask Sharon Levine ESQ, all pre-petition grievances in the last bankruptcy were paid in full, as the same will happen again, they are considered secured and will be paid.

I guess you know more then a bankruptcy attorney and all the grievants who were PAID IN FULL last time.

Bob,

I frankly don't know how long you've closely followed the goings-on at this company, but judging by the above it's apparently not been long enough.

You imply that the U employees, through their unions, have just sat back doing nothing until very recently, and are still resisting any change. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Going back over a decade, the employees of this company have given management pretty much whatever they asked for to be competitive. If success only depended on employee compliance with management's wishes, this companyh would be wildly successful. So successful that 9/11 would not have been a bump in the road, it would have been a pebble in the road.

You talk about "arcane, cumbersome work rules" as though these haven't changed since the first airplane flew. Are these work rules arcane compared to what Siegel wanted and got? Or are they arcane compared to what Wolf wanted and got? Maybe they're arcane compared to what Seth wanted and got? Better yet, are they arcane to what management agreed to when the various contracts were combined in the mergers?

So when you imply that U's fate somehow is the fault of the employees, you're saying that all the previous concessions didn't matter. All that matters is "What will you give up today". And if the answer is "Less than management wants THIS time", that somehow makes everything the employees fault.

I don't think so....

Jim

BoeingBoy,

Good post and well said. The employees have stepped up time and again for US Airways. This can't be discounted. Meanwhile, the pay outs for executives who failed to perform continued.

Dea

Replying to How Did We Get Where We Are?
The topic stated:by definition management is responsible for lack of proper management.

Including the ongoing mismanagement of the corporations money.

From 1998 to 1999, Stephen Wolf spent $1.9 billion to buy stock. The shares traded as high as $83/share in July 1998. All shares were worthless after the first bankruptcy.

Could you imagine taking $1,900,000,000 in US currencies and throwing it into a bonfire?

Steven Wolf didn’t see anything wrong with it.
THE DUMBXSS!!!!!!!!

PineyBob said:
The gravy train that allowed for arcane, cumbersome work rules and "Hackery" abruptly stopped.
[post="189217"][/post]​
No, the "Hackery" is just beginning. A lot of the really talented employees are going or gone. They won't wait around forever for USAirways to get their act together. Tic-Toc Tic-Toc .......... good people are waking up in droves looking for jobs that provide hopes for a better future.

PineyBob said:
The gravy train that allowed for arcane, cumbersome work rules and "Hackery" abruptly stopped. Unions failed to recognize this and like the train anology sat and waited for the gravy train to restart.
[post="189217"][/post]​

Bob,

Got a steak dinner (and no, not at the Sizzler! :D ) for you if you can cite ONE cumbersome workrule, of a scope to reduce profits, in the agents' contracts, vis a vis WN.

Better yet, any work rule that YOU would consider significant.

You've got the connections, Bob, to get an answer.

I eagerly anticipate your response.

Best,

Dio

Latest posts