Huge aircraft order rumour

Would AA keep a dozen and 1/2 of the newest 767-300's as niche' A/C for JFK/LAX-SFO, ...because there is NO WAY IN HEL* that the demanding NY/LA crowd would EVER put up with 737/757 transcons !!!

NH/BB's
[/quote]

BB - UAL does 757 PS transcon and they do very well and no one complains b/c they would rather be on that plane than 767 for sure.. first business and eco plus only - pretty nice plane :up:

Then why is AA running almost twice as many flights and seats.
Cause everybody is most likely assured an aisle or window seat. There is only 1 middle seat per row on the 767 compared to 2 per row on the 757. Either way, I would not care if its a 757 or 767, just as long as it gets me to my destination. I never book the center seat so that doesn't make me care, I make sure before I purchase the ticket that they have an aisle or window available. A few times my flight got cancelled and all that was available on the next flight was the center seat. I think I only did that once. I'll wait or fly into an alternate airport.

You're probably right, but I discount the sub-fleet concerns when you're talking about three dozen airplanes, a subfleet larger than most other airlines' entire 777 fleet. Eight two-class 763s configured for Hawaii was a ridiculous sub-fleet (1999-2003) compared to, say, 36 two-class 777s for Caribbean/Latin American/NYC-MIA routes.

The real question is whether the eventual 787s will be configured as 3 class (my hope) or 2 class (ala the 763 experiment since 2003). UAL has not given up on 3 class international 767s (at least not yet). MRTC was deemed a failure. Perhaps 2 class 763s are a similar mistake?

IMO, there will be two 787 fleets. A fleet of 787-3s in 2-class and a fleet of 787-8 or 787-9s in 3-class.

Just curious, in your opinion, how is a new aircraft type "leverage" against the APA?

Getting the chance to fly the latest and greatest is something no pilot I've ever known can resist. Growth aircraft means more Captain slots, and increased opportunity for advancement is also a win for pilots.

If the growth aircraft are already in the pipeline before negotiations, AMR loses any chance of give-and-take.

E

What I'm curious about is what are the long term plans for a 757 replacement. While a great aircraft it's also out of production. My choice would be the 737-900ER. It's close in seating to the 757 and it has the range.

What I'm curious about is what are the long term plans for a 757 replacement. While a great aircraft it's also out of production. My choice would be the 737-900ER. It's close in seating to the 757 and it has the range.

My prediction is that by time AA's 757s are due for replacement (like in 2020-2025 or beyond), Boeing will be making a NGSA-carbon fibre fuselage 757 look-a-like with big, efficient engines. The 737-900ER is for someone without over 100 late model aluminum 757s already on the property.

MAH4546 said:
IMO, there will be two 787 fleets. A fleet of 787-3s in 2-class and a fleet of 787-8 or 787-9s in 3-class.

I assume the 2-class 787-3s are the AB6 replacements. Interesting. You're probably right, but I figured those would be almost exclusively for the Japanese short-haul, high density market.

3-class 787-8s or -9s? I hope so. I miss the 763 coffins (lie-flat seats that rumour has it are gonna be installed on the 762s in F).

A couple or three years ago, Arpey and Beer said during a quarterly conference call that the model they were most interested in was the 787-9, which wasn't due to EIS until sometime in 2010, so they said there was no hurry to order it.

I know you won't want to hear it, Bears, but the obvious replacement for the Airbus are the new 777s mentioned in this rumour.

Sure, they're a little larger than the AB6s, but that would permit AA to reduce frequency slightly on SJU flights if cargo/passenger demand didn't fill them up. 777s burn about 20% more fuel than AB6s, but hold more passengers and cargo. Business markets demand high frequencies, but not SJU. And if cargo and passenger demand did fill them up, then that's even better. Reduced maintenance and training expense would help pay for the size difference over the AB6s.

Will AA keep 763s to fly the transcons? IMO, no. The first two dozen 787s will be configured with horizontal flat beds in F and better seats in J and will replace the 762s. 787-8s would be the perfect size.

With the winglet announcement earlier this year, I don't see AA buying large numbers of 787s for quite a while, but I've been wrong before. Winglets on the 763s would probably enhance their resale value to a LAN or UPS or another buyer.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

NO, FWAAA....to the contrary.

I HOPE they replace the A-300 with 777's.
(I'm just skeptical that they will, BUT then again, What do I know).

I'd love to see just 737/757/777/787's..ONLY in the fleet, and eventually, just 37/77/87's !!!!!

NH/BB's

My prediction is that by time AA's 757s are due for replacement (like in 2020-2025 or beyond), Boeing will be making a NGSA-carbon fibre fuselage 757 look-a-like with big, efficient engines. The 737-900ER is for someone without over 100 late model aluminum 757s already on the property.

If this order does come about I suspect that it will be only for the 737-800 at this point.

Remember that in 2020 AA's oldest 757's will be over thrity years old. From what I've been reading Boeing and Airbus don't plan on launching a 737/A320 replacement anytime soon. We probably won't see an official launch until 2015. One also has to consider that AA is in the process of getting rid of the ex-TWA 757's. They could either settle for the -800 or go with something that is a bit closer in size to replace them.

So NOW(with a lot of Imput from my fellow posters) it is looking (Very Much) Like an ALL boeing fleet/3 models only.(737-800/777/787) !!!

If that IS the case, AA could stay with that Fleet for decades, and "not miss a thing"

Obviously AA will "grandfather in" the A-300s and 757's, until their "number is called", for the trip to Mojave.

Like the 787(probable 2/3 different models), I really hope AA gets a 1/2 dozen 777-200 LR "worldliners"(So we can go...."Waltzing Matilda") :up: :up:

NH/BB's

Very true on the 100 seat gap, but there's always the E190. AMR has been a very good customer to Embraer, and this little jet appears to have better short haul economics than the 737-700 does.

Guys like Bob Mann probably know better, but flying the 90 seaters at post-2003 adjusted mainline rates seems to be a much more realistic proposition than it was to fly 50 or 70 seaters at 1997 book rates.

Since Embraer is preety much the only game in town it be in AA's best interest to entice Bombardier to launch the C-seires. If they were to be a launch customer you know that means they will get a killer deal on them. However I have a feeling we won't see the 170/190 or the C-series in AA colors.

there are rumors that Boeing is talking w/ DL and AA about a lower weight version of the 737-700. Between AA and DL, Boeing could sell over 500 of those aircraft. Not sure if what Boeing would have to do but that could be the way Boeing could get Boeing to replace its MD80 fleet and keep the seat count comparable to what is on the MD80s.

While lots of you AA people want to see expansion, I don't believe you will see it until AA gets the labor costs it wants - which is an ever changing goal. AA could save alot of costs by beginning to replace some of its older aircraft but it is highly doubtful that it would buy enough aircraft to grow until it gets costs down where it wants....

there are rumors that Boeing is talking w/ DL and AA about a lower weight version of the 737-700. Between AA and DL, Boeing could sell over 500 of those aircraft. Not sure if what Boeing would have to do but that could be the way Boeing could get Boeing to replace its MD80 fleet and keep the seat count comparable to what is on the MD80s.

While lots of you AA people want to see expansion, I don't believe you will see it until AA gets the labor costs it wants - which is an ever changing goal. AA could save alot of costs by beginning to replace some of its older aircraft but it is highly doubtful that it would buy enough aircraft to grow until it gets costs down where it wants....

Traveler: Would you be happy if we took another 25% pay and benefit cut?

Latest posts