IAM M&R CONTRACT UPDATE AUG-2013

Internet+Troll+Defense.png

Who the flip cares how they got there.. the point is they went there n theyre building solidarity even stronger.. not sure what ur obsession is josh esp since ur all up tight about the iam n 700 n ur hatred of usairways. Dont know if now is the to grow up but its my opin its beyond time. 700 I saw that pic on fb keep up solidarity for both iam groups

Reactions: 2 people
Ill ask again who the flip cares how they got there they there to build solidarity even stronger regardless stop turning every dam thread into an antinunion anti iam anti crap you do not work fornus and u dont give a rats arse about us or the folks who work there

Reactions: 1 person
They dont make leaders like this anymore, RIP Charlie.

Former IAM District 100 President and leader of the famed IAM strike at Eastern Airlines in the late 1980’s died at a retirement community outside Orlando, Florida. He suffered from leukemia and Parkinson’s disease.

Born in the coalfields of West Virginia, Bryan began his career as an aircraft mechanic in 1952 with American Aviation before taking a job as a mechanic with Eastern Airlines in 1956.

A diligent and respected worker and union brother, Bryan was an introspective and well-read man who preferred the midnight shift. Bryan rose through the ranks of the Machinist’s Union and became president of IAM District 100.

The economic woes of the early 1980s and cutthroat competition from airline deregulation prompted carriers—such as Eastern Airlines led by Frank Borman—to embark on drastic cost-cutting schemes, and labor was a prime target.

Borman advocated a plan that would tie the wages of IAM members at Eastern Airlines to the financial performance of the airline, but IAM members and Charlie Bryan would have none of it.

“The Gestapo tactics of Martin Ludwig Borman and his Nazi scorched earth policies will not work with this union leadership,” wrote Bryan.

After Frank Lorenzo’s Texas Air Group bought Eastern in 1986, the inevitable clash with the IAM and Bryan happened when Lorenzo brought Eastern into bankruptcy court and demanded draconian wage and benefit cuts from IAM members.

IAM members, backed by their leader Charlie Bryan, said no and struck Eastern from 1989-1991 when the carrier ceased operations.

“Charlie Bryan was at ground zero of the airline labor battles in the 1980s,” said General Vice President Sito Pantoja. “IAM members at Eastern said enough is enough and they had rock-solid leadership in Charlie Bryan.”

In retirement, Charie Bryan lived a quiet life in Florida.

Click here to read the story in Forbes.​

700UW said:
They dont make leaders like this anymore, RIP Charlie.
Yep, the leadership of unions, especially the IAMAW are business unionists concerned only about advancing their own careers within the union and holding onto as many dues payers as they possibly can. Buffy, Roach, Sito, Ira Levy, Rich Delaney et al haven't done anything for workers, they are more concerned with maintaining the structure of the IAMAW.

Josh

when i worked in bos in 99 to 00   joe macaron was dam good    he was one of the best if not the best   i dont know what happen to him but he sure was a dam good union leader in bos at that time

700UW said:
Joe was the Fleet AGC in CLT, good guy and a good trade unionist, knew him well.
You said the same about Sito:

700UW said:
Roach hasnt been GVP of Transportation in over a year, see if you read the boards better you might have known that fact, since it has been discussed on this board before. Roach is GST of the IAM.

Sito Pantoja is GVP of Transportation, a good union man, a big supporter of the AMT and is a fighter, his pet project is Aviation High School in Queens and has done lots of good things for the students.
I know Sito personally and have worked with him on US issues many times when he was our GLR. He is old school, tough and a fighter, a good union man who hasnt lost sight of the goal.

Sito's pet project for many years is Aviation High in Queens, NY, has done a lot of good for the AMTs.
http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/54613-understanding-history-of-unions-in-the-airlines/?p=952510

How did things turn out at UA under Sito's leadership?

Josh

In your over zealousness you have no clue.

Sito doesnt negotiate the CBA, that is done by UA reps and rank and file.

Try again.

And the UA rank and file ratified it, so I guess they are ok with it, so what does it matter to you?

M.O.M.

Latest posts