IAM Stepping Up campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
aislehopper said:
One other point. I would be less against a union if there was a National Right to Work Act or the RLA did not specifically preempt state right to work laws.   Becoming a dues objector is relatively meaningless since contract maintenance fees can approach 100% of dues and dues checkoff is a priority for a newly elected union.
I agree completely, it would put the onus on the union to prove its worth the dues and truly pays to belong. It is an injustice if even a single worker is unwillingly forced to pay dues or an agency fee to simply maintain employment. I do wonder when organized labor will see the light of this. People would probably be less opposed to unions overall (myself included) but the unions that don't perform would be held accountable and wouldn't receive the same volume of dues blindly.

Josh

• Banned
You do realize the the ability to have a closed shop is only for railroads and airlines.

And if they receive benefits, pay, etc.. from the cba they should at least pay whats germane.

In open shops under the NLRA the union has to represent the freeloaders, how is that fair?

737823 said:
I do wonder when organized labor will see the light of this. People would probably be less opposed to unions overall (myself included) but the unions that don't perform would be held accountable and wouldn't receive the same volume of dues blindly.

Josh
Eliminating the AFL-CIO "no raid" clause and lowering the bar to call for an election accomplish that nicely.

700UW said:
You do realize the the ability to have a closed shop is only for railroads and airlines.

And if they receive benefits, pay, etc.. from the cba they should at least pay whats germane.

In open shops under the NLRA the union has to represent the freeloaders, how is that fair?
It's not. That's why I prefer the options I listed above.

aisle,
it is good to see you back. excellent piece and clearly indicative of the mindset of the majority of DL's non-union employees who have consistently chosen not to further unionize.

DL and its FAs got the message loud and clear regarding the changed voting rules and the vote came out to levels far higher than existed in the past.

Some people on here, including Kev, argued that DL was unfairly using its position to influence the election. DL's people were able to figure it out one way or the other. As long as the rules are clear, people won't make mistakes. The better the turnout, the better.

Kev,
I'm not doubting that DL's staffing models are different and aren't like what you might have seen at NW.... but it works and DL's operational performance says they have enough people to do the job. As long as the stats remain good, the shared rewards will keep flowing and the staffing will remain as is.

can you tell us the options the mechanics in DTW have been given and then would you update us when we know how many separated from DL rather than relocate?

shall we list the names and numbers of companies that NW outsourced work to?

apparently the majority of DL's employees do believe positive change is indeed taking place.

not too many pages ago you were telling us that B6's individual employment contracts were ok... don't your arguments here contradict what you said earlier?

robbedagain said:
Southwind im not saying that no one in union represented gets furlough but the fact is DL can tell their employees they dont need them and it can be done much faster also delta has been able to fend off unions ... as I said before big money talks and delta keeps unions out

I knew amfa rep the nwa maintenance folks but amfa stood up for what they believed was corp greed it may have cost them dearly but in the end they did what they felt they had to do
What company wouldn't do whatever was "Legal" in order to keep a union out? I guarantee the union is doing everything "Legal" that they can , to get in!

I actually feel for the NW amt's who struck and would "Never" cross a picket line myself!
What I never quite understood about them striking when they did was, "EVERYONE" knew NWA had scabs waiting in the wings ready to pounce on those jobs. Sounds to me like a work slow-down would have been more appropriate!

Kev3188 said:

There are at least 54 people in the Motor City who disagree with you.

Motor City is a dying city and has nothing to do with DL and everything to do with the local politicians!

Motor City is a dying city and has nothing to do with DL and everything to do with the local politicians!

Classic. Lemme help you here:

*The "54 people" I noted are DL employees.

*That is the number of affected positions in Tech Ops/stores for DTW.

*DTW is known as the "Motor City."

Now, remind us again how my comment has "nothing to do with DL."

Kev
Did ya tell us rhe options available to these personnel
can u address the issue of why it is so bad for a company to ask an employee to move when ops are reduced since it is well accepted in the airline industry that employees move regularly for the benefit of their own careers.

• Banned
They arent asking, they are forcing and unlike unionized carriers, they wont really have a choice where they go, they are given limited options and thats all.

And if I am correct, they dont get laid-off if they choose not to move, they get terminated?

As you said yesterday, they take a termination package, at least with a unionized airline, they have recall rights.

I have several friends who have been laid-off since 2005 from US Airways who are getting called back last year and this year.

Kev3188 said:
I'm sure no one's resting easy in any base. I've heard otherwise about NYC in general, but will take your word for it. Likely explains why there is so much focus there right now...

I hate to say it, but bababooey is right, at least among the NYC Delta new hires… The idea of a union is very unpopular with them because they are afraid of going back to a straight reserve system like NW had, among other things

• Banned
The bottom line is people need to educate themselves, but they dont.

It just like MSM, Fox makes you believe Obama is the anti-christ and cant does everything wrong, makes the right wingers to be golden childs and CNN does the opposite.

Its crazy, I was part of the largest organizing campaign and victory when we won United CSA and RES back in the day, people just need to take the time to educate themselves, and not believe the hype.

AdAstraPerAspera said:

I hate to say it, but bababooey is right, at least among the NYC Delta new hires The idea of a union is very unpopular with them because they are afraid of going back to a straight reserve system like NW had, among other things
I hear ya. 'Course the second part of that equation is that if F/A's want A Days to stay, then that's what will be negotiated for on their behalf.

700UW said:
The bottom line is people need to educate themselves, but they dont.

It just like MSM, Fox makes you believe Obama is the anti-christ and cant does everything wrong, makes the right wingers to be golden childs and CNN does the opposite.

Its crazy, I was part of the largest organizing campaign and victory when we won United CSA and RES back in the day, people just need to take the time to educate themselves, and not believe the hype.
And oh many employees has UAL slashed since they became organized, even considering the merger with CO?

PCE alone was 19,000 employees. What has it whittled down to today?

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/18/us/passenger-service-workers-unionize-at-united-airlines.html

Josh

• Banned
How many non-union airlines have cut people?

Guess you dont know about Leadership 7.5.

And mergers usually lead to layoffs, its the nature of the business.

Why did PMNW unionized employees make out better in Chapter 11 than PMDL non-union employees?

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/news/allrise/2009/01/30-years-after-airline-deregulation-who-is-the-big-winner/

Airlines have lost a total of $55 billion since 2001

The airline industry was already seeing a decline in yields and fares by early 2001, but it wasn't until September 11th that the real hurt began.
Since that day, airlines are in the red for $55 billion dollars

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-us-airline-industry-has-changed-since-911-2011-9?op=1#ixzz2qgEsuzzg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back