Inflight

I say US should go back to the Bombay Sapphire gin and the Absolute vodka. And while I'm in this deep sleep I say they should go back to the Dom Perrignon champagagne in Envoy. Since Intl !st class is gone bring it to envoy. Oh s%^t I'm waking up. That Rapid Eye Movement gets me everytime.

Staying with the crew is great but limiting in BOS, DCA &LGA. Those f/as can only fly the airbus in BOS & LGA and 737 or airbus in DCA. It would be more cost effective and productive for a f/a in BOS to work all a/c types.

I confess, since I may have started it with US-East/US-West, that it was just to keep from sounding like I was leaving out the HP folks when using just US. It just seemed more inclusive since we're on our way to being one big happy family. Plus it was meant to avoid confusion - does "US" mean "new US", "old US", or what.

Technically, HP still exists as a subsidiary of US Group as does US (the airline), PDT, & PSA. So HP (or AWA) still refers to the same company/people it always did, as does US - as long as we're talking about the airline and not the holding company.

Jim

Wow it's great to finally see things calmed down and post again. I love the US East and US West designations ...makes it easier for us all to figure out how each does things. We also have a 'mystery shopper' program that will review in secret the entire crew and then report to the company. If we are found out of compliance with service parameters or announcements verbatim, a letter is place in our file for one year. Do you have anything like that or check rides on the US East side?

The AWA carts on the Bus/757 are the full size univeral carts. They can be used as a meal tray cart or a beverage/liquor cart.

The 737 cart is a beast. Catering calls it a 3/4 cart. There are thre types of 3/4 carts. Trash, beverage, meal. The meal cart has no slots on the sides for trays it only takes bulk meal boxes, and opens from both sides.

multitasker said:
As for crew positions we use 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. 1st is in the F/C cabing, 2nd in the middle position, and 3rd is the aft position on B737/Aribus. On the B757 4th is the aft position. We have no lead FA position, but the 1st F/A has to complete the paperwork if a problem occurs on the A/C. The liquor form is completed by the 3rd or 4th FA depending on the A/C type.
[post="306992"][/post]​
Don't forget that our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th positons translate to A B C D for bidding.

BoeingBoy said:
I won't be around long enough to see the integration, but I like the crews staying together. PI did the "musical crews" thing - different F/A's all the time (or different pilots from the F/A perspective) and I like staying together the entire trip a whole lot better.

Hopefully that's one thing we can keep.....

Jim
[post="307010"][/post]​
It's basic CRM to keep the crews together.

GalleyHag said:
Wow it's great to finally see things calmed down and post again. I love the US East and US West designations ...makes it easier for us all to figure out how each does things. We also have a 'mystery shopper' program that will review in secret the entire crew and then report to the company. If we are found out of compliance with service parameters or announcements verbatim, a letter is place in our file for one year. Do you have anything like that or check rides on the US East side?
[post="307136"][/post]​

we have check rides and gate checks but for the company to use the info against you the check person has to identify themselves before hand.......as always check the maifest for those pos people and quiz them feed the alcohol then they cant tell lol

BoeingBoy said:
I confess, since I may have started it with US-East/US-West, that it was just to keep from sounding like I was leaving out the HP folks when using just US. It just seemed more inclusive since we're on our way to being one big happy family. Plus it was meant to avoid confusion - does "US" mean "new US", "old US", or what.

Technically, HP still exists as a subsidiary of US Group as does US (the airline), PDT, & PSA. So HP (or AWA) still refers to the same company/people it always did, as does US - as long as we're talking about the airline and not the holding company.

Jim
[post="307115"][/post]​
I think it's a GREAT idea. There still are two different companies operating their own ways. Things are changing slowly to be common but I like the US tag to unify. :up:

At US-West the 1st F/A is the most junior, unlike US-East where the A is the most senior. From what I have seen on the West side for the last 2 years, the pilots and F/A do not generally get along as well as the East counter part. I think flying together for the whole trip makes a big difference on the CRM. I really miss the comradely but I guess the company gets a better utilization out of F/A's this way.

The F/A's here fly more hours than pilots. I see them regularly flying over 8 scheduled hours a day.

"Turn" (West) = "Out and Back" (East)

"Line Holder" (West) = "Block Holder" (East)

I would have to think of other differences later ............

Happy_People said:
COKE would be a great change!!!! I am so sick of saying.. Diet Pepsi okay? We have 7up. Pepsi alright? Sometimes I just can't bring myself to do it because I just told the guy in 13A that we have pepsi and then the oh so attentive guy in 13B orders a coke I just give it to him without saying anything. ANd then 50% of the time he will return it because he hates Pepsi. Trying flying into Texas without Coke product it is hillarious!!!
[post="307055"][/post]​
Try flying into the southern states without Dr. Pepper. They look at you like you have 5 heads. I would love to have Pepsi versus Coke! Maybe they will let the employees decide which one we keep!

MitsubishiSam said:
At US-West the 1st F/A is the most junior, unlike US-East where the A is the most senior. From what I have seen on the West side for the last 2 years, the pilots and F/A do not generally get along as well as the East counter part.
[post="307513"][/post]​

Absolutely wrong as to the positioning and I would disagree with the observation.

West bids positions. There is a mix of seniority at all positions. Some love First, others won't touch it. Same for all the other positions. You are allowed to change positions at check-in, but only if those changing agree. There is no seniority bumping at check-in.

West pilots and FA's get along just fine.

FlyUs said:
Staying with the crew is great but limiting in BOS, DCA &LGA. Those f/as can only fly the airbus in BOS & LGA and 737 or airbus in DCA. It would be more cost effective and productive for a f/a in BOS to work all a/c types.
[post="307087"][/post]​
Even though our bases are equipment specific, we are qualified on all equipment in the fleet. With the exception of the A330. You are only qualified on that if you flew international or you are based in a base that flys the A330. Example, in LGA they do not fly the 737's, however they are qualifed on them, and can be called to fly an a trip on that equipment. It does happen occassionally, if a f/a on a 737 trip gets off sick, say for example in LGA, they need her replaced they will call a LGA f/a to replace her on her trip. So I guess what I am saying in response to your post is, any US f/a can fly any equipment that they are qualified on, an US qualifies all f/a's on all the equipment in the fleet regardless of which base you are based in.

MitsubishiSam said:
At US-West the 1st F/A is the most junior, unlike US-East where the A is the most senior. From what I have seen on the West side for the last 2 years, the pilots and F/A do not generally get along as well as the East counter part. I think flying together for the whole trip makes a big difference on the CRM. I really miss the comradely but I guess the company gets a better utilization out of F/A's this way.

The F/A's here fly more hours than pilots. I see them regularly flying over 8 scheduled hours a day.

"Turn" (West) = "Out and Back" (East)

"Line Holder" (West) = "Block Holder" (East)

I would have to think of other differences later ............
[post="307513"][/post]​
This is not necessarily the case. US f/a's bid a line an position. If they fly that line that position is theirs and no one can take it. If they just pick up that trip off what we call the AIL list (availablity and Improvement list) or better known to us as the bid sheet, your position is up for grabs. Yes our positions are chosen when scheduling calls you for your trip, however, when the briefing is started position preferences are taken, seniority dictates. The most sr f/a can take what ever position he/she wants, down the the line to the most jr. UNLESS it is your trip in your line, then regardless of seniority they cannot take your position unless you give it up. The A position is considered the senior f/a, but that doesnt mean they are the person on the a/c with the most seniority. "A" position works f/c. The rest of the positions work coach. Some east bases, are more position specific on who does what, ex...b works the aft end of the cart, c picks up trash...other bases are more relaxed...as long as the job gets done, it doesnt matter what end of the cart you work or who gets the trash or who passes out headsets and meals...you just work together to get it done. Believe it or not we do for the most part have a great relationship with the pilots, they have a lot of respect for what we do. They even help us "tidy" the airplanes, they will go get us food, sometimes they even bring us coffee... :up:

Back