US Airways Names New Vice President of InFlight Services

When you enter the briefing room the one with the most seniority to hold the position will automatically be at the head of the table like the president at his desk in the oval office.

Hey TP, thanks for the description on that. I've gotta tell you, I haven't actually laughed reading any of these threads in years, (they are too depresssing), but that one just took the cake.

It brought back memories of walking into some of the TWA briefing rooms at JFK years ago where a similar procedure was used, except that the lead position - "Flight Service Manager / FSM", was a dedicated position with special training. Seems like some of the same personality types involved though!

I appreciate the explanation, as it is different from the airlines I have been with in the past.

N905TW I'm glad you got a lil' kick out of that. It's so true though about some people. What a kick in the pants it would be though if the company did implement a purser program. Oh some would simply come undone if they couldn't "run the show". :lol:

Greetings from Madrid. I actually was bumped into the CSD position for MAD. Which is ok with me. I like flying lead on the A330. Pretty easy if you ask me . Very senior crew though. Leave to phl today the 3rd thn go back to Madrid on the 5th.

Reschedule her PHL town hall? Hell she might as well have just slopped pig blood on herself and jump in the ocean with the sharks. :lol:

Speaking of town halls, when do you think our new "leader" will come out and introduce himself to his "subordinates"???? :ph34r: I understand if he doesn't yet have a plan of action but a simple introduction maybe even a memo ... SOMETHING?

How is it that a boss who oversees a HUGE operation and literally thousands of employees hides and doesn't even come out to say "hello"? :blink: I have an issue with that.

Any news on Finn's replacement?

My opines are just that!

It never fails to amuse me when people bring up the purser thing. Who is it that you work for?

If US really WANTED a purser program they would have gotten it when Wolfe was at the helm.

They have never wanted to PAY FOR IT.

This is not the union getting in the way. This is a company that embraces low cost above all else.

And you think they'd consider a purser program?

Finally, they could solve all of the FC problems if they would just re-name it. "the Bigger Seat" or "Armchair class" whatever. It hasn't been FC for years. US just doesn't have that customer base to merit it. We are not Continental, nor do we have their hubs, it takes a whole package, and US just isn't in that position.

BTW, I occasionally work domestic FC and I would agree with what others have said. Three times thru with that snack basket and I'm getting irritated looks. I retreat to my galley with a newspaper and greet every bathroom goer with a "Can I get you anything?"

What else am I supposed to do? It is what it is!

US Airways today announced that Hector E. Adler will join the airline as vice president of InFlight Services effective April 1.

Adler brings 35 years of airline and inflight services experience to US Airways, and will oversee the airline’s 6,600 flight attendants. He will also oversee the airline’s inflight dining department and will lead all facets of onboard products and services. In his new position, which is subject to approval by the company’s board of directors, Adler will report to Captain Ed Bular, senior vice president, Flight Operations and InFlight.............

Someone should email this Trip Report to Mr. Adler. IMO it is one of the most accurate and fair accounts of the current US experience from the perspective of a European who does not appear to have a preset agenda.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/t...ad.main/148122/

Overall it sounds like he had a good trip with US. The only things he didn't like was the seats on the A333 (which are being replaced next year with slim line), the food (I can't say I've ever had "good" food in coach on ANY airline) and the lack of a moving map with the IFE. If these were his only problems I think we're doing pretty well! :D

Overall it sounds like he had a good trip with US. The only things he didn't like was the seats on the A333 (which are being replaced next year with slim line), the food (I can't say I've ever had "good" food in coach on ANY airline) and the lack of a moving map with the IFE. If these were his only problems I think we're doing pretty well! :D

He was complaining about the legroom, too -- a legitimate complaint. Why on earth US ever turned the Y cabin in the A330's into a torture chamber is beyond me!!!

My parents flew back from FCO in Envoy on Sunday, and they told me that they were speaking to another Envoy customer who said that he bought GoEnvoy for the way back from FCO: He had flown in Y on the way to FCO and said it was so awful that was willing to fork over the $500 "avoidance fee" so he would not have to suffer the effects of US's special brand of transatlantic torture.

I would not fly in Y on the A330 if you paid me. I would sooner swim across the Atlantic.

I've flown as a pax on the A333 (both B and C zone) and haven't found it to be that traumatic. I think it bears noting that I'm 6'1" as well. It's tight but not impossible. I find the entertainment boxes to be annoying but that's the trade off for AVOD. Both the seats and the IFE should be fixed by the end of next year. We'll just have to manage in the meantime.

I'm just wondering what Mr. Adler has up his sleeve. I had a good conversation with him a few weeks ago. He came off as wanting to change things for the better. Here's hoping!

Well with all of the reading Tempe seems to do on these boards I'm sure they have wind of the fact that NOBODY knows this guy. They need to get him introduced to the flight attendants. Writing a letter and having it burried in a little section of the HUB isn't cutting it. Look around the crew rooms at all the junk posted on the walls. Look at how much mail you receive in catcrew about various people coming and going from/to positions. There is absolutely NO REASON why this man isn't getting his vision for his group heard. Again, I don't think it's him but those that are to get his message out. :rolleyes:

Not so much he can do about the weight issue, but he can certainly require a certain uniform standard, and he absolutely should. It's way overdue.

At the very least: Ties on men, pressed shirt. Period. It's not that hard, boys.

Gate checks. If you are not in compliance and look and act like a total slob, you go home. Period. No whining and crying and begging. Send down an OPR from the dungeon. Stat! You're off to Rome.

People I fly with always say, "This company should be worried about more important things than how I am dressed." "When the company cares about me, then I'll look the part..." Drives me batcrazy. You look like a slob, and, sadly, have no personal pride.

Stop blaming the fact that you look like a washed up hillbilly on the fact that this company is a mess. Have some personal pride for cripes sake.

To jetjok:

You may be right, his hands may be tied too much to do anything productive, but that still makes me wonder: Why not promote a current "yes man" from within, instead of this seasoned guy, who may actually know what a nice service looks like?
I have to totally agree!! I fly Delta weekly from atl to clt to get to work, and i have to say even their fat girls look good. FOR GOD'S SAKE PUT SOME LIP STICK ON AND RUN A BRUSH THROUGH THAT HAIR. And guy's, please please tuck those sweaters in and put a vest or jacket over it. { and if i see one more pair of Reebok's or tennis shoe's I'm going to throw up } I thought when we went into this new uniform people would clean up their act, but i guess a sloth is a sloth.

standards? What are those? Oh you people crack me up! :lol: This place can't set a standard to save their lives. It's like trying to tame wild buffalo! You let it run wild too long....thanks Sherry GROFF! How is Carnival Cruises these days? :huh: And if the Supervisors ever find their way out of their office to set the standards it would be a miracle. To defend them a bit, Tempe gives them no support because they are little piddle poodles....they wet themselves and run. They are all there to avoid the line flying. We used to have decent ones, now they barely speak English and are downright rude. Mostly because they are lazy themselves and don't want the f/a lifestyle. The ONLY place where the supervisors make LESS than a line F/A but do more work. You know what PHX? Pay your supervisors what they are worth and set standards. but before all that, negotiate a fair contract. Without that, you are the joker.