US Airways Names New Vice President of InFlight Services

They have admitted that the sale of soft drinks and water was a mistake.

I'd like to see the quote where any top exec said it was a mistake. They've said it was unfortunate that the other airlines didn't follow suit and that the failure of other airlines to follow suit put US at a competitive disacvantage. In other words, it was a good idea that the other airlines weren't smart enough to emulate so US had to drop it. But I've yet to see them quoted as saying it was a mistake.

Jim

Anyone could spend a lot and make an airline really nice and lose even more money then we do now.
They key will to spend a little but in the right places and do little things that don't really cost but improve the overall product. So it is much more about vision and creativity then just lets buy nice china, crystal, upgrade the wines and champagne. I am hoping he has a creative/innovative side.

I don't think anyone thinks he's going to bring an EOS like level, just hopefully put US on par with the other major airlines since that is what it is. A lot can be done without spending a lot. There needs to be standardization for presentation and flight attendant image and service etc. At the very least present the same product. It's so obvious that the people running the show have no experience with anything remotely premium or businesslike. The whole brand looks childish and cheap and could just use some sprucing up so it doesn't come off so amateur and like US is out of it's leage. Like the press release said hes bringing global experience with inflight instead of America West experience which just has nothing to do with a lot of what US Airways does

the next clue Kirby gets will be the first one, he is the biggest single problem with this train wreck and Hemingway isn't far behind him

I agree PB. I will be the first to admit that most of the time I'm working upfront I feel nervous. I was hired and got furloughed before I ever had the chance the work up front. Then I get recalled and get zero service training. I remember the first time I got thrown into working the A position and had to cook meals I was clueless. Luckily I can read and I have a bit of common sense so I made it work. However, If I had received some training I probably would have done it better and quicker.

I'm still learning stuff as I go along and I'm becoming more efficient.

I agree PB. I will be the first to admit that most of the time I'm working upfront I feel nervous. I was hired and got furloughed before I ever had the chance the work up front. Then I get recalled and get zero service training. I remember the first time I got thrown into working the A position and had to cook meals I was clueless. Luckily I can read and I have a bit of common sense so I made it work. However, If I had received some training I probably would have done it better and quicker.

I'm still learning stuff as I go along and I'm becoming more efficient.
What are your thoughts about a dedicated "A" or purser?

He could also begin a focus group of Preferred members from different geographical areas. This would cost US nothing, as many of us have expressed a willingness to fly to PHX on our own dime to offer FREE advice on how to improve the customer experience. After all, we know their product better than they do!

He could also begin a focus group of Preferred members from different geographical areas. This would cost US nothing, as many of us have expressed a willingness to fly to PHX on our own dime to offer FREE advice on how to improve the customer experience. After all, we know their product better than they do!

You don't really expect that to happen do you ?

OK here is something that has bugged me for a long time. The fact that meals are sold in coach on some routes while first class gets the "tired and worn out" snack basket is an issue. It was brought up to Doug at a crew news session almost two years ago. Shamblin chimed in and said to "only make the announcement for inflight cafe' in coach". Thankfully a f/a added, "you can't make cabin specific announcements on the 767, 757 and the baby boeing aircraft". Then Doug admitted that if you have time to sell in coach you have time to SERVE in first. He also said he expected this to come back to him later. Well it was never fixed as it continues to happen today. Also the snack basket needs to be updated. It is little things that can make the biggest difference. I don't think anyone expects Adler to come in and implement an EOS type service but freshen it up. The inflight product is tired, botched and just flat out drab. There isn't anything special. I believe that as disgruntled as many flight attendants are, they would take a little bit of pride in serving a product that wasn't so embarrassing. On domestic alone we are SOOOOO below the competition.

I would LOVE to see Adler impliment a Purser program. I have friends that went through the NWA Purser Program and have nothing but good things to say about it. They are supposed to impliment the program at Delta.

They won't do it because it makes perfect sense. The old US Airways had it--it was called the Consumer Advisory Board and I was a member having been invited by Deborah Thompson.

Interestingly enough, they really LISTENED in those days.

The most memorable experience was having David Livingston Seagull himself stop in at one of the meetings and want to know nothing other than how we liked the bagels on the shuttle--since they were his idea.......so you see ineptitude in the higher ranks is nothing new at US.

I wish Mr. Adler the best of luck in TRYING to effect change--absent a change at the helm, I fear nothing will happen.

They won't do it because it makes perfect sense. The old US Airways had it--it was called the Consumer Advisory Board and I was a member having been invited by Deborah Thompson.

Interestingly enough, they really LISTENED in those days.

I think it is high time they reinstate the Consumer Advisory Board. Obviously they are not doing something right, because customers are fleeing in droves. They have shown a commitment to Inflight by making a change. The New Guy has not been at US long enough to have developed any "bad habits" yet, so I presume that he at least is going into this position with somewhat of an open mind.

I think his first order of business after settling into his new office and ordering his stationery and business cards should be to make a phone call to John Romantic, get a CAB going, and then meet with the CAB and an employee focus group to find out what the strengths and pain points are. Who better to ask than the experts? Then, and only then, will he have an outline for an action plan.

How about if Hector Adler created a presence for himself here or on FlyerTalk? When the Bonus Miles were reinstated Fernand Fernandez created an account for himself there and made one post with the announcement. Quite a number of FTers welcomed him, and hoped he would be an active part of the board, much like other airlines and hotels have “officialâ€￾ liaisons on FT.

Well, he never made another post, and the last time I checked never even logged into his account since about one day after his only post.