I''ve changed my mind, voting YES

----------------
On 4/6/2003 10:47:51 AM WO/drone wrote:

The industry is changing...... It will change no matter if we like it or not. The steel industry, unions and corporations resisted the change, look at steel now. Yes we are a different economy, but this forces change. The auto industry changed, painful but they are still here. Airlines are a service industry, right?, the market will drive us. No matter who is in the white house, things are going to be different, cry all we want, wish for the old days, you still will be swept by the tide.

----------------​
But it is not the union representation that should be leading down this path. Yes the airlines are a service industry. The steel industry and or the auto industry will not fall out of the sky if maintained improperly. Being swept with the tide does not mean I cannot attempt to change so that my profession can survive. As mechanics we should be more concerned with safety than service to the customer. It is time for the mechanics to stand fast for their profession.

RV4,

Your arguments are all valid. But unfortunately the company''s management is doing the right thing. They have rode this out as long as they should have, and change will be inevitable. The country right now is grasping for heros not villians. If "we" send our company into BR,(which will be the perception of the world) then we will look like a bunch of greedy bas****s. You and I both know that that is not the case, but that will be the perception. Please understand that I agree with all that you have said but it is time to suck it up. How long are you with the company? The only reason I ask is because of the pension issue. These concessions do seem to be punitive and over done, but I will be making a sacrifice that will be remembered to the public only briefly but that will hopefully have long term successful consequences to AA''s future. God Bless, I know these are horrendous choices.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 12:35:08 PM xlurker wrote:

No problem. We will just raise the price of a ticket and call it a safety fee so the mechanics can keep their wages.

See how many go to the lower fare unsafe airlines.

----------------​
No, we should allow for supply and demand.

What do the airlines do when fuel prices increase?

No problem. We will just raise the price of a ticket and call it a safety fee so the mechanics can keep their wages.

See how many go to the lower fare unsafe airlines.

Buck - you go ahead and stand fast.

That is OK as long as the timing is correct.

The union negotiates your pay and the company pays it.

As you said a service based industry, the flying public sets the price. They are not willing to pay the high price for a ticket that high wages help to create.

I believe the times are changing. We can change with it or loose out completely by standing fast.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 11:56:19 AM AAMT wrote:

RV4,

Your arguments are all valid. But unfortunately the company's management is doing the right thing. They have rode this out as long as they should have, and change will be inevitable. The country right now is grasping for heros not villians. If "we" send our company into BR,(which will be the perception of the world) then we will look like a bunch of greedy bas****s. You and I both know that that is not the case, but that will be the perception. Please understand that I agree with all that you have said but it is time to suck it up. How long are you with the company? The only reason I ask is because of the pension issue.
----------------​
20 Years with AA, What about the "pension issue"? What do you fear about world perception?

I think you may have contradicted yourself.

You say labor costs affect airlines differently. Before you said those costs affect all of them equally at the same time.

You cannot compare labor costs with fuel costs.

Fuel costs change daily. The change is EXACTLY the same to every airline. Everyone can adjust the prices of tickets accordingly. On a daily basis.

Can you please explain how labor costs affect all airlines equally at the same time?

Other airlines have decreased their labor costs recently. ours are the same.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 10:39:23 AM RV4 wrote:

----------------

On 4/6/2003 9:41:05 AM AA80Driver wrote:

Bob,

I agree with most of what you''ve posted and I think we can all come to the same conclusion on the situation.  This TA and the situation we''re in sucks.  There''s no other way to put it.  However, what I''m trying to point out is that the alternative in BK will be worse.  Look at what is happening to our bretheren at UAL and U.

I''m reluctantly voting YES and I''m mad as hell about it.

----------------​

I must be uninformed.

Tell us exactly what is happening at U and UAL that proves BK would be worse? Or are you repeating a fear campaign?

----------------​

I''ll take that one. As an employee of U, let me first say the bks of U and UAL are like night and day. At four months into their bk, UAL has yet to sign any contracts on paper. With the exception of the IAM and CWA, who came on board quickly afterwards, U had their contracts signed as they went into bk. Now some of my bitter nasty coworkers at U will be more than happy to vomit their opinions about the entire U bk, especially the bitter ''burghers, but U started off on the right foot by having those contracts signed early on. People forget , the bk judge is there to appease creditors, not labor. That''s the reality of the situation.

Were there threats of Chapter 7? Oh yeah. Did management come back for more? You better believe it. Was labor happy about the cuts? No. Did labor like the threats and fear factor tactics? Absolutely NOT. But many in labor didn''t seem to understand that the financial shape at U was shattered. They wanted to play the blame game over and over again, when infact labor had ignored the signs of an unsuccessful U for years. How many CEOS and analyst needed to state that we had to change business as usual or risk them circumstances? Nobody was listening, just blaming. And many "leaders" in our union ranks decided they were Norma Rae and were willing to say no and let a judge impose his "impartial" (HAHA) might on the employees. Might I add that management at U WAS INDEED MOST OF THE PROBLEM, but SO WAS LABOR!! My fellow f/a''s from all airlines want to live in the pre-deregulation days when you could have those cushy contracts. And yes, I have enjoyed those cushy contracts. Then, prices were set by the govt and there was money for those sweet contracts, but those days are gone.

Management''s poor decisions isolated the employees and took away all trust. Management blamed the employees. Employees blamed management. This started with all the mergers of the 80''s and didn''t end until last August when reality finally kicked in. This went on for 13 years. We have survived to spite ourselves.

Bk saved this company. We were bleeding for years. All 9/11 did was finally put an end to the road of denial. If that horrible event hadn''t happened, we at U would still be playing the blame game. BUT, bk IS the last resort. We were at the end...no choice...nothing....nada.

AMR employees, you must decide if you feel your company is as bad off as they say. Have the books been openned for labor to see? Are the cuts proposed enough to gain favor with creditors without bk? Remember, if your personal credit is bad, if you have defaulted on payments, or if you have too much debt, no bank would think of giving you credit. Businesses aren''t too different. Has Carty got a promise from banks or creditors that they will get funds if the employees give? Is this a ploy to get the employees to pony up so they can get rid of debt and file bk anyway? And then will they want more?

All of you must think carefully about your decision. Had I voted on U''s contracts based on emotion, I would had voted NO, but, I had to put aside my hate and disstrust for management and think logically about what I was doing. I was not willing to play chicken with a bk judge or with perhaps the threats of Ch.7. I had to stop and take a look at my job and the benefits of it. The cuts hurt like hell, but I do enjoy my job. I enjoy the flexability that I STILL have. I am not stuck in an office and I enjoy multible days off. I work two extra days and now fly international to make up for the cuts. Do I like doing it? No, but times, they are a changing and I''ll be damned if I was going to contribute to the sacrifice of my job and those of 30,000 others to make a point or somehow play the 2003 version of Norma Rae.

It''s up to all of you. Carty will get what he wants, one way or another.

Now is not the time to implode as a company. There is more than enough emotion and blame to throw around. Go someplace quiet and think about your decision and do so putting all the built up emotion aside.

Listen, there are no promises of survival. U isn''t projected to make a profit until 2004, if then...but at least for now we have some breathing room. If this war ends and people start flying and airlines CEOs finally "get it" and change way they do business, the industry might turn around. If not, I might be changing careers, but for now I can say I still have a job and when it ends, my belief in something greater than myself will provide. BUT, I can honestly say my decision was well though out and for now has provided a positive and not a negative. Don''t listen to others. The energy of the naysayer and deeply negative people will only get stronger. Most of them see no logic...just hate and negativity. They wouldn''t be happy if Jesus Christ and the 12 disciples ran the company and could provide all the miracles they wanted. And I''m sure those same people will blast me for saying this.

Good luck to all of you at AMR. Make your decisions wisely.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 12:17:21 PM xlurker wrote:

Buck - you go ahead and stand fast.

That is OK as long as the timing is correct.

The union negotiates your pay and the company pays it.

As you said a service based industry, the flying public sets the price. They are not willing to pay the high price for a ticket that high wages help to create.

I believe the times are changing. We can change with it or loose out completely by standing fast.

----------------​
The public has no idea about the real labor price structure. If you ask a customer they are more than willing to contribute for a safe flight. They would rather their body get to there destination than their baggage. They pay their car mechanic the high price and hardly blink. When their precious car fails they can pull it over and pay the wrecker service their acceptable fee. But you cannot just pull the aircraft over. If you believe that aircraft mechanic wages are high, hire a plumber or electrician.

Yes times are changing and I want to change also. I want to change the form of union representation I have, a union for my craft. I have no problem for the other ground workers to acheive what they can. But please do not allow this acheivement at my expense. I am not suggesting that any labor group other group stand fast, I am only concerned with my profession. The others are grownups they are able to decide for themselves.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 1:00:26 PM xlurker wrote:

Can you please explain how labor costs affect all airlines equally at the same time?

Other airlines have decreased their labor costs recently. ours are the same.

----------------​
Ask the company which cost items are the highest. Labor and Fuel. Yes recently labor costs are being reduced. Labor costs effect each airline differently, depending on their size and the type of maintenance program they have. This is a decesion based on the airlines business plan. I agee that labor at all airlines is not exactly the same. But the cost of labor effects the airlines the same.

RV4 and BUCK,

Having been in the Corp when I was a younger man, I really didn''t have an intelligent concept of fear until I became a father. Having said that, I have always admired what FDR said after Pearl Harbor. But I have not based my decision on fear but reality. The reality of this situation is that we are in the most politically unfriendly labor climate that I have ever seen. I also understand that with everything that is going on that the reality is we will have no sympathy from the flying public. You may not have any concern about your pension but the reality is that if AA goes to BR that probably would change substantially. Maybe you have done remarkably well in the market during the good times and had the insight to seek the shelter of the bond market during its colapse, but that may not be the case for many others. Remember, I do not disagree with your arguments and could easily add many reasons why we should not vote yes, but unfortunately we have been put in a very ackward situation and will be giving a very negative perception to our customers by making them worry about purchasing a ticket from us. I realize that fixing the planes is our responsibility not selling the tickets, but that will be the outcome. Perception is reality.

----------------
On 4/6/2003 7:26:45 AM RV4 wrote:

----------------
On 4/6/2003 3:21:19 AM rampguy wrote:

Just someone that gets tired of your bullying tactics as if those who disagree can't think for themselves. You have accused everyone that says they will vote yes as caving in to fear. You are the one that called everyone cowards.
----------------​
The TRUTH seems to always bother you the most, doesn't it?

----------------​

You just don't know the truth. I was the one on this board quite some time ago that was stating we were all going to take cuts but some just didn't know it yet. This was long before the union even approached the subject. Therefore, no union fear factor here. You see, some of us think for ourselves.
So what truth are you talking about? Yours? You just can't stand an opposing view.