Jimmy Carter

Poor 700, punch drunk again....

PjqOYbB8y6ybu.gif

Gaza and the West Bank were never part of Israel -- they were/are both considered occupied territory.

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about Jimmy Carter?

eolesen said:
Gaza and the West Bank were never part of Israel -- they were/are both considered occupied territory.

and civil I believe

eolesen said:

It is about Carter. He's the other presidential failure that lit the match to the middle east.

Then we have Carter 2.0 (Obama) throwing gas all over it.

Carter, came the closest to having a foreign policy of non-intervention and by brokering the Camp David agreements stabilized the flow of oil into this country. This bought the oil and gas industry time to develop new technology that is being used today.

Want some failures from Carter? The hostage rescue attempt

The US Department of Education. Most thought it was a good idea at the time. However, it was the beginning of the sharp decline in test scores leading to the dumbing down of America.

Say what you will about Carter, Camp David was his shining star and it still glows brightly and what stability there is in the Middle East is likely a result of the Camp David Accords still being honored.

From the archives:

"Why does Carter wish he had sent one more helicopter to Iran?"

"But in between smiles and the occasional joke, he admitted to at least one regret: "I wish I had sent one more helicopter to get the hostages, and we would have rescued them, and I would have been reelected.

Carters seeming inability to resolve the Iranian hostage crisis, in which 52 Americans were held captive for 444 days by Islamic revolutionaries who seized the U.S. Embassy in 1979, played a major role in his crushing loss to Ronald Reagan the following year."

The failure of the military operation ordered by President Carter had a huge effect on the course of the nation.

It obviously still weighs heavily on his conscience.

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-carter-one-more-helicopter-to-iran-20150820-htmlstory.html

SparrowHawk said:
It is interesting to note a few things about the Carter years. Because of the crappy economy, inflation and the moves made by Fed Chairman Volcker it is conventional wisdom that Carter was a total failure.

Jimmy Carter: Added $299 billion, a 43% increase to the $699 billion debt level at the end of  Ford's last budget, FY 1977.
•FY 1981 - $90 billion.
•FY 1980 - $81 billion.
•FY 1979 - $55 billion.
•FY 1978 - $73 billion.

In raw number terms these were the lowest debt accumulations since FDR was President and fought WWII. Further under Carter Debt as a percentage of GDP was in the high 30percent range as compared to 835 under GWB abd 102% under Obama.

As I continue my research it is becoming clear that Jimmy Carter was a relatively conservative fiscally. While true he wasn't exactly an Austrian School economist, he did keep a lid on debt, especially when compared to those who followed him.

Those of you who are old enough recall Carter's WIN Campaign (Whip Inflation Now) coincided with the appointment of Paul Volcker as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank. Volcker through bold moves that made no one happy at the time tamed inflation and in many ways set the stage for the Reagan Recovery. It should further be noted that the current POTUS also hired Volcker. Volcker advocated tougher regulations on banks. He soon found himself replaced.

Jimmy Carter was/remains a quiet leader, NOT a great trait to have as POTUS, in my opinion.  

WIN was Ford's plan

townpete said:
Jimmy Carter Can Only Blame Himself
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2007/05/jimmy_carter_can_only_blame_hi.html

Carter's indecisiveness and incompetence became obvious to the rest of the World. The Soviet Union took great advantage of having Carter in the Oval Office. The Communist country invaded eastern neighbor Afghanistan, beginning an attempted power grab aimed at eventual Soviet takeovers in Iran and Pakistan. Carter's response to the invasion of Afghanistan was the U.S. boycott of the 1980 Olympic games held in Moscow. Need I say anymore?

You left out the part where the Soviet Union lost. 

Reactions: 1 person