Kirby to speak at MRO conference

Doug Parker has said hes willing to open up the contract no matter which union succeeds.....

hmmm,makes one wonder here.....

also its interesting to note IBT still has no scope language agreed to,no status either.....

no scope??

looks like U management has in mind the way it will go if IBT gets the vote :lol:

VOTE IBT FOR JOB SECURITY! trust us :lol:

Just read the article and I did not see the quote from Kirby stating Usairways does not wish to do in-house maintenance?

The topic is a bit misleading, but it looks as though they are leaning that way....

I love how a certain two love to turn this in to an IBT, IAM issue, last time I checked the east side of U provides a great deal of work to MRO'S as well. And what happened to the statement about how even if the IBT wins the IAM contract will remain in place?

Let's see . .the conference is held in PHX, and Scott Kirby is an EVP of the hometown airline. Why would someone in that position NOT be there? As the article states:

"The 2006 MRO event, the largest MRO-dedicated conference, combines both commercial and military segments to help maintenance executives in civil and military sectors identify and implement strategies to improve safety, turn- times, cut costs and increase profitability of their hangars and facilities."

Nowhwere does it day he or DP is against doing work in-house.

Consider the topic starter. :eek: Really, how did it wind up being a union issue?? Again, consider the topic starter. :D
Obviously, some have never attended. It's a "conference" of airlines, OEMs, suppliers and service providers involved in aviation. It's open to all. Attend and educate yourself.

Just read the article and I did not see the quote from Kirby stating Usairways does not wish to do in-house maintenance?

The topic is a bit misleading, but it looks as though they are leaning that way....

In-house MTC is more costly from a staffing standpoint. It costs a lot more in pay and benefits to have employees versus letting an outside vendor make a bid and absorb the costs paying their own employees while meeting the letter of the contract.

While I don't like it any more than most people, it is a fact that can't be disputed. My only problem with a vendor arrangement is this. Does the vendor have the same desire to do the job correctly as the airline employee does? I know for a fact that if I were a US Airways mechanic and I and my family might possibly fly on a particular aircraft, I would make sure the job was done right. Mistakes do happen, even among the airline employees, but if I were a vendor employee, I might not take the same amount of care into my daily work.

Safety is never guaranteed. There are good vendors and good employees, just like both have their bad apples. The difference comes at the personal level where the airline employee will almost always go above and beyond to protect themselves and their family. The marginal cost difference between the vendor and the airline employee may be the difference between making it to your destination safely, and becoming an NTSB statistic.

Something for the folks in Tempe, and across the industry to think long and hard about.

Spin

Latest posts