LAA employees watch out for LUS gate agents

AirwAr

Senior
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Twice this weekend, I had LUS gate agents try to convince me that there were no more First class seats available.  In reality, in both separate cases, there were 3 seats available and I'm traveling with 4.

This last one, the agent told me that all First class seats were given out to people ahead me in the list.  
Me:  "I believe the non-revs were rolled to another flight".  
LUS Agent: "Oh, there are revenue standbys ahead".  
Me: "I thought there was only 1".  
LUS Agent:  "Oh, well, there are 3 seats, so you would have to split up".
Me:  "Sure, we're willing to split"

It then took them quite a few minutes...to release the seats from the non-revs on the list BEHIND me...so they could issue them to me.

The first interaction went down pretty much the same way.  Except this time, I challenged the agent asking if this was a standard for LUS, that they didn't offer to allow the party to split.  She said "no" and that she DID offer it to me.  Not wanting to continue the discussion at the gate...I let it go.

Wow...I really hope this isn't widespread, cause if I wasn't on my game...I'd be sitting in coach for a total of 6 hours this weekend.

Reactions: 5 people
A PHX agent assigned me and my daughter coach seats. We were listed for 1rst and there were seats available. I asked him about it and his reply was that he holds back seats in case upgrades show up. I gave him back the seat assignments and asked if I could wait. He was okay with that, we waited and got assigned the 1rst class seats.

The jetaway app is crucial for watching agents shenanigans and calling them on it.

Something Similar happened to me in MIA with AA Agents.  The List showed us as No Answer and they gave seats to Non-Revs behind me.  Called them out and they were not happy but fixed it.   Non-Revs MUST watch as not to get screwed.

Reactions: 7 people
Hope777 said:
Something Similar happened to me in MIA with AA Agents.  The List showed us as No Answer and they gave seats to Non-Revs behind me.  Called them out and they were not happy but fixed it.   Non-Revs MUST watch as not to get screwed.

I realize during boarding, it can get hectic , and the agents are pressed, but you have to be vigilant.
I've been at gates where they announce names without the PA, so if you aren't close, you won't hear it.
I'm always right next to the podium with antenna up and on, logged on to jetnet travel planner, hitting refresh every other second watching seat distribution. 
Some agents are great, unfortunately, there's not uniformity across the system, it needs some tweaking. 

Reactions: 3 people
Hope777 said:
MIA agents are notorious for giving F/C upgrades to friends and family regardless of position on the standby list.  You did good by calling them out.  Two other f/as and I were deadheading A1D from MIA to DFW on a 777.  The agent assigned us the 3 middle seats in the middle section in coach 3 rows from the back of the airplane, and put 3 D3s in F/C (they had to skip over several D1s and D2s as well).  The agents refused to discuss it.  I insisted they print out the standby list with seat assignments, and I filed a formal complaint.  Don't know if anything was done about it.  Probably not.  If you are LUS, just get used to the fact that MIA is not a 3rd world, it's a 4th world whose employees operate on the policy of "whatever I want to do is the right thing to do and nobody has the right to challenge me on any decision I make."  Always remember, we are talking about a hub station where flight attendants were wearing the uniform vest with no blouse underneath, and almost caused us to lose Known Crewmember at MIA by trying to circumvent being picked for random screening.

Reactions: 1 person
I have never understood the somewhat contentious relationship some gate agents have with Nonrevs. When I worked at the airport I treated them like royalty. I realize some are jerks (Non revs) but I never really experienced that. Sometimes a guest  pass pax got snooty but that was almost exclusively because they were not informed by the employee of the process and rules. I noticed early on in the industry that when I went to an out station that was manned by an AOL they treated me better than back in my home hub. I was flying once form PHX-LAX and asked the gate agent some benign question (I know longer recall) about either FC availability or Maybe loads into another LA area airport. A few days later on my return flight I went to the ticket counter to change my return and the agent said "oh my gosh, they wrote a book about you in the PNR for trying to defraud the airline and game the non rev system". I was shocked, I had her print out the PNR I gave it to the Pass Bureau myself.

Whatever became of that employee that was selling a app for your phone that would automatically put you at the top of the standby list? I've heard lot's of crew members talk about it, but didn't know if it was true or not. Was selling the app for $25 or $30.

Hope777 said:

Boarding by seniority will put and end to all of that. Also a boarding board at every gate would help.

Rogue…..

Reactions: 2 people
Ramp Rogue said:

Boarding by seniority will put and end to all of that. Also a boarding board at every gate would help.

Rogue…..
that could be circumvented just as easy as by check in time

Reactions: 8 people
Traymark said:

I realize during boarding, it can get hectic , and the agents are pressed, but you have to be vigilant.
I've been at gates where they announce names without the PA, so if you aren't close, you won't hear it.
I'm always right next to the podium with antenna up and on, logged on to jetnet travel planner, hitting refresh every other second watching seat distribution. 
Some agents are great, unfortunately, there's not uniformity across the system, it needs some tweaking. 
Trust me, after 34 years I always park my hASS right next to the podium with my family close by the jetway door if possible and ALWAYS let the agent know Im there before the flight even boards.   Non Rev travel may be a Benefit but the Traveler needs to be well prepared and have Jetnet up on their phone or computer to protect themselves.

Reactions: 3 people
Ramp Rogue said:

Rogue…..
No, it won't. Seniority just adds different issues...

Ramp Rogue said:

Rogue…..

Yeah right...cause it's sooooo difficult to read down a list of names that are already compiled in order for you.  Can't be any easier.

I've worked the gate before and NEVER did I have an issue offering the standbys what they deserved.

Reactions: 1 person