Lanes Merge Ahead

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Since the talk of merger, UCT, ICT, etc., have emerged again I thought I'd post the exact language from the ATSB loan document. When reading this keep in mind that "the borrower" is US Airways, Inc. (mainline) and that US Airways Group and other divisions are "quarantors".

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 6.9. MERGER OR CONSOLIDATION. Neither Group nor the Borrower will consolidate with or merge with any other Person or convey, lease or transfer its properties and assets substantially as an entirety to any Person, unless: (i) (a) in the case of a consolidation or merger involving the Borrower, (I) the outstanding principal amount of the Loan at the time the transaction is consummated does not exceed $500,000,000 and (II) the Borrower is the surviving entity or if the Borrower is not the surviving entity, such surviving entity or the Person that acquires by conveyance, lease or transfer the properties and assets of the Borrower substantially as an entirety, shall be a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the United States of America or any State thereof or the District of Columbia and can make the representations contained in Section 4.1(B), and shall expressly assume, by an agreement executed and delivered to the Agent and the Board in form reasonably satisfactory to the Agent and the Board, Borrower's obligations to repay the Loan and all other obligations of the Borrower under the Loan Documents, or
(B) in the case of a consolidation or merger involving Group, Group is the surviving entity or if Group is not the surviving entity, such surviving entity or the Person that acquires by conveyance, lease or transfer the properties and assets of Group substantially as an entirety, shall be a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the United States of America or any State thereof or the District of Columbia, and shall expressly assume, by an agreement executed and delivered to the Agent and the Board, in form reasonably satisfactory to the Agent and the Board, all of Group's obligations under each Loan Document to which it is a party; (ii) immediately before and after giving effect to such transaction, no Default or Event of Default shall have occurred and be continuing and immediately after giving effect to such transaction, Group or if applicable, its successor, shall be in compliance, on a Pro Forma Basis, with Section 6.4 (in the case of Sections
6.4(B) and ©, based on Consolidated EBITDAR for the four quarters ended as of the end of the most recently ended fiscal quarter); (iii) immediately following such transaction, neither the Borrower's nor Group's (or if applicable, their successor(s)) credit rating is lower than immediately prior thereto; and (iv) the Borrower has delivered to the Agent an Officer's Certificate and an opinion of counsel from counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Agent, in form and substance reasonably satisfactory to the Agent, stating that such consolidation, merger, conveyance, lease or transfer and such agreement comply with this Section 6.9 and that all conditions precedent herein provided for relating to such transaction have been complied with and addressing such other matters as may be reasonably requested by the Board and the Agent. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Section
6.9, (i) any Obligor may merge or consolidate with any other Obligor, provided, that in the case of each such merger or consolidation involving Group and/or the Borrower, Group and/or the Borrower (as applicable) shall be the continuing or surviving Person and (ii) any Obligor (other than Group or the Borrower) may convey, lease or transfer its properties and assets substantially as an entirety to any other Obligor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BoeingBoy said:
Since the talk of merger, UCT, ICT, etc., have emerged again I thought I'd post the exact language from the ATSB loan document. When reading this keep in mind that "the borrower" is US Airways, Inc. (mainline) and that US Airways Group and other divisions are "quarantors".

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION 6.9. MERGER OR CONSOLIDATION. Neither Group nor the Borrower will consolidate with or merge with any other Person or convey, lease or transfer its properties and assets substantially as an entirety to any Person, unless: (i) (a) in the case of a consolidation or merger involving the Borrower, (I) the outstanding principal amount of the Loan at the time the transaction is consummated does not exceed $500,000,000 and (II) the Borrower is the surviving entity or if the Borrower is not the surviving entity, such surviving entity or the Person that acquires by conveyance, lease or transfer the properties and assets of the Borrower substantially as an entirety, shall be a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the United States of America or any State thereof or the District of Columbia and can make the representations contained in Section 4.1(B), and shall expressly assume, by an agreement executed and delivered to the Agent and the Board in form reasonably satisfactory to the Agent and the Board, Borrower's obligations to repay the Loan and all other obligations of the Borrower under the Loan Documents, or
(B) in the case of a consolidation or merger involving Group, Group is the surviving entity or if Group is not the surviving entity, such surviving entity or the Person that acquires by conveyance, lease or transfer the properties and assets of Group substantially as an entirety, shall be a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the United States of America or any State thereof or the District of Columbia, and shall expressly assume, by an agreement executed and delivered to the Agent and the Board, in form reasonably satisfactory to the Agent and the Board, all of Group's obligations under each Loan Document to which it is a party; (ii) immediately before and after giving effect to such transaction, no Default or Event of Default shall have occurred and be continuing and immediately after giving effect to such transaction, Group or if applicable, its successor, shall be in compliance, on a Pro Forma Basis, with Section 6.4 (in the case of Sections
6.4(B) and ©, based on Consolidated EBITDAR for the four quarters ended as of the end of the most recently ended fiscal quarter); (iii) immediately following such transaction, neither the Borrower's nor Group's (or if applicable, their successor(s)) credit rating is lower than immediately prior thereto; and (iv) the Borrower has delivered to the Agent an Officer's Certificate and an opinion of counsel from counsel reasonably satisfactory to the Agent, in form and substance reasonably satisfactory to the Agent, stating that such consolidation, merger, conveyance, lease or transfer and such agreement comply with this Section 6.9 and that all conditions precedent herein provided for relating to such transaction have been complied with and addressing such other matters as may be reasonably requested by the Board and the Agent. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Section
6.9, (i) any Obligor may merge or consolidate with any other Obligor, provided, that in the case of each such merger or consolidation involving Group and/or the Borrower, Group and/or the Borrower (as applicable) shall be the continuing or surviving Person and (ii) any Obligor (other than Group or the Borrower) may convey, lease or transfer its properties and assets substantially as an entirety to any other Obligor.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it appears if all is met then something could happen. but a liquidaiton appears more likely. :unsure:

Per my comments yesterday, asset sales could be used to pay down the loan guarantee and with further amendments the EBITDAR requirements could be adjusted. Furthermore, RSA has the ability to effect the loan guarantee requirements and be an equity investor in either US Airways or its potential merger partner.

Again, once US Airways reaches agreements with its unions, stabilizes its business plan, reaches long-term accords with GECAS and the ATSB, and United proves it can emerge, the two companies will merge.

The unknown question -- who will be the surviving business entity?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The unknown question -- who will be the surviving business entity?

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Here's another one for you captain... how many times are you going to ask that question and who cares anymore being it's out of our hands?

Respectfully, Cav.....

USA320Pilot said:
Again, once US Airways reaches agreements with its unions, stabilizes its business plan, reaches long-term accords with GECAS and the ATSB, and United proves it can emerge, the two companies will merge.
it really should say IF USAirways can reach agreements with the unions, and IF it can stabilize its business plan, and IF it can reach agreements with GECAS and the ATSB, and IF United can emerge.

Thats a lot of if's. Could it happen, sure. But a lot has to happen, and even then, how do you know the unions at United won't derail it. They don't want to merge with us. We are way too senior.

michael707767 said:
USA320Pilot said:
it really should say IF USAirways can reach agreements with the unions, and IF it can stabilize its business plan, and IF it can reach agreements with GECAS and the ATSB, and IF United can emerge.

Thats a lot of if's. Could it happen, sure. But a lot has to happen, and even then, how do you know the unions at United won't derail it. They don't want to merge with us. We are way too senior.
Exactly! The UAL folks will never allow a "merger" to happen. Look what happened last time. Savy

Savy:

Savy said: "The UAL folks will never allow a 'merger' to happen. Look what happened last time."

USA320Pilot comments: Last time the United employees had ESOP influence, however, the other option for United employees could be a liquidation of their company.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot comments: Last time the United employees had ESOP influence, however, the other option for United employees could be a liquidation of their company.
Ok so I'm a VERY strong US supporter and fly them often. But, apply some business common sense here ... US will liquidate long before UA does (though I think both companies are still in precarious positions).

There is no question that Usair would like to merge with someone, United being the preferred airline, but United is still in Ch11 and frankly is not interested in merger.

There is one thing certain, Usair will not survive as is. And the rest of the industry including United know this. Knowing this no sane CEO will want the headaches and intergation problems that a merger will bring. (considering the senior usair employees and furloughs at all the majors)

Sorry to say this, but the only solution is a sale of assets from Usair and even employee concessions are not going to stop that.

As far as United, ATSB will give the company a conditional offer, based on resolving the Pension issue. It will get resolved either by congress or by termination. UAL has 2 billion commitment from banks and it is not interested in no equity investors either.

As far as codeshare between USair and United, Mesa is sure to pick up some assets from Usair and so it will be able to contiue to feed passengers to United. The ATSB has to make its decision on UAL loan with current facts so future revenue affects of USAir codeshare fallout can not be assumed.

BTW, Usair has pushed back release of 4 quarter/ full year numbers to February 7.

Maybe we can get the 32 VP's out the door FIRST then maybe we can talk.
Any idea how much they make a year all to gether?
U is like a truck over loaded to the top everytime there is a bend in the road it tips over because it's to TOP HEAVY....................................

USA320Pilot,

You are dead wrong.

The question is not who will be the surviving entity. The question is where will UAL get the cash to buy UAIR. I am doubting that RSA and/or other shareholders will accept stock in a 'doomed to fail from the start' airline. I say a UAL/UAIR merger is 'doomed to fail from the start' because I have NEVER EVER heard of combining two insolvent companies and coming out a success story.

So, that would imply that UAL's ATSB loan would need to be sufficient that UAL's ATSB loan could be used to pay off UAIR's ATSB loan... Sounds quite a bit like paying off one credit card by using a different credit card.

QUESTION: If a UAIR/UAL merger is so imminent, why is it that UAL did not express any interest in UAIR to Morgan Stanley... Morgan Stanley is the consultants that UAIR is paying to essentially market its assets to other airlines for possible liquidation.

ANSWER: UAL cannot afford it.

Kind of says it all, doesn't it?

batman said:
BTW, Usair has pushed back release of 4 quarter/ full year numbers to February 7.
This is no big deal. My firm isn't releasing until late February and we don't have any major issues at our doorstep.

Funnyguy2:

I never said a merger was imminent. Once US Airways stablizes its situation and United can prove it can emerge from bankruptcy, then there will be a corporate combination.

However, today's news regarding United's earnings (See Story) clouds the future.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot