Latest Numbers on the VBR & OVL's

The 240 figure was as of 08:00 CST, July 20, according to the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement page on Jetnet. Surely there have been a few additional requests since then.

The proffer has been open for a long time now. Realistically, how many do you suppose were jumping on it at the last minute? My guess is not many.

The only thing I can see people wanting at the last minute was to hold partnership flying. From what I understand (through what people have told me) the partnership flying goes by the highest seniority, you can fly however many days you want if the other person agrees, and if they are not on reserve than neither are you. THAT alone is priceless.

According to APFA officials, historically many members waited until the last minute before they responded to retirement incentives or put in their requests for leaves of absences.

If Airline mgmt is so horrible and airline industry sucks and union sucks...why doesn't everyone quit and work at a job they enjoy...it's depressing to read this board about how horrible the airlines are, yet everyone still works there....I don't get it. I am not in airline biz, but I fly them a lot....

That's quite a solution you got there buddy, "if you don't like it then quit". Where'd you get that idea from, Arpey & Horton? because that's exactly what they've told numerous people when questioned about their bonuses and cutbacks.

It's sure does look easy for you to say that especially when it does not concern you, being "not in the business but fly a lot...". How about a pilot or FA telling you the same thing when you have a complaint about your flight...if you have several then quit flying with us. how would you feel?

There was a time when working for the airline was great. Even today there are some great advantages. Now, when management does things that benefit a select few, namely themselves, with no regard to the hardworking employees then yes, we reserve the right to complain about them because believe it or not we airline employees do care about our jobs, our company, and the industry, which we don't want to see fail.
The problem is, bad management is what's truly ruining this industry, not the high price of fuel, not the economy, and not Bush or the government. Take that away and place competent people who know how to run a business and who truly care about the business instead of how much they can get away with and their golden parachutes in case of BK, then you'll probably see a happier and content workplace.

"it's depressing to read this board about how horrible the airlines are, yet everyone still works there....I don't get it" - well, if management had their way they'd rather hire those guys you see hanging around the corner by the Home depot, you know the ones who look like they just crossed the river, because they wouldn't complain and wouldn't know any better when they're being screwed over. You think the airline customer service reputation is terrible now, just wait until that happens and let's see how much you'd enjoy your flying experience.

Edited by Moderator. Please do not quote entire posts when replying or responding directly below the original post. It wastes disk space and bandwidth. Use the Add Reply buttons at the top and bottom of the page.

Amen!

Great News!!

**PRELIMINARY VOLUNTARY OPTION NUMBERS**
WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE ARE 307 ACTIVE AND 61
INACTIVE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WHO HAVE BEEN AWARDED THE VOLUNTARY
BRIDGE TO RETIREMENT. WE ARE VERY ENCOURAGED BY THE NUMBER OF
VBRS AWARDED AND BY THE NUMBER OF OVERAGE LEAVE AND PARTNERSHI
FLYING BALLOTS SUBMITTED, AND ARE OPTIMISTIC THAT INVOLUNTARY
FURLOUGHS MAY NOT BE NECESSARY.
AS A REMINDER, OLOA AND PARTNERSHIP FLYING BALLOTING REMAINS
OPEN UNTIL JULY 25 FOR THE 900 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WHO ARE
SUBJECT TO FURLOUGH. AFTER ALL VOLUNTARY OPTIONS WINDOWS
CLOSE, AND WE HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PROCESS BALLOTS, WE
WILL KNOW BY JULY 29 THE FINAL NUMBERS FOR ALL VOLUNTARY
OPTIONS, AND IF AN INVOLUNTARY FURLOUGH IS NECESSARY.
A LIST OF AWARDED VBRS WILL BE POSTED TO THE FLIGHT SERVICE
WEB SITE LATER TODAY.

The proffer has been open for a long time now. Realistically, how many do you suppose were jumping on it at the last minute? My guess is not many.

128 did. That is equal to 53% of the 240 figure reported over the weekend.

WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT THERE ARE 307 ACTIVE AND 61 INACTIVE FLIGHT ATTENDANTS WHO HAVE BEEN AWARDED THE VOLUNTARY BRIDGE TO RETIREMENT.

P.S. MiAAmi, thanks for the update.

This is great news regarding awarded VBRs. It will be interesting to see how the rest of it shakes out. You all are truly setting an example of how in light of negative news, some positives can emerge. I really hope no furloughs are necessary. Best of luck to you all.

This is great news regarding awarded VBRs. It will be interesting to see how the rest of it shakes out. You all are truly setting an example of how in light of negative news, some positives can emerge. I really hope no furloughs are necessary. Best of luck to you all.

Agree 100%. Well done all around for taking a creative approach to a bad situation and minimizing the negative impact to employees.

Over the last month there have been many within the Comany and the Union who encouraged and "sold" these options to those folks who were considering retirement/LOAs. Its a huge decision. It never went unsaid that not only is it beneficial to you but that you were saving the job of a flying partner. I cant think of a better way to exit your career.......or take a nice chunk of time off.
Good work people..

Special APFA News Update for July 23, 2008

VBR results have been announced and there has been a long-awaited decision regarding the remaining lawsuits filed over the Restructuring Participation Agreement.

First, the VBR:

This morning the company announced the results of the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement. A total of 307 active Flight Attendants were awarded the VBR. 61 additional Flight Attendants who have been in an inactive status for over 6 months were also awarded the VBR. These numbers include Flight Attendants subject to furlough.

APFA is extremely encouraged by the number of Flight Attendants who took advantage of the VBR which is just the first step towards reducing the number of Flight Attendants who may be furloughed. A breakdown of VBR results by base is posted below.

It will still take Crew Resources until next Tuesday, July 29, to process the results of both the initial Overage Leave and Partnership Flying proffer and the current Overage Leave and Partnership Flying proffer open to those subject to furlough. Although we will not know for certain until next Tuesday, we are encouraged by the number of Overage Leave ballots received. In fact it is very possible that the Company will not be able to award all of the Overage Leave and Partnership Flying requests.

At this point we cannot guarantee that no one will be furloughed. However we have made significant strides towards reducing that number. Our ultimate goal will always be not one Flight Attendant furloughed.

Well the good news is that furloughs will probably be eliminated.

The disappointing (for me) is that partnership flying may not be awarded as they will count any overage leaves that those subject to furlough elected to take. I will hold out hope...I just wish the process had been better explained :( .

Like I have said earlier this did nothing but give extra cash in the pocket to those that were going to leave in the next 6 months or so anyway.

Another Great Management move! Give 'em a bigger bonus.
TWU is partially correct here.... The VBR was taken mostly by those who were eligible for retirement regardless. It offered them the carrot of the extra $15,000. It did not entice many that were close...and did not take advantage of the hundreds who would have taken it that were between 15 and 19 years below 50.

Regardless, it is good that some of those who were eligible took the carrot!

The VBR news is encouraging. I am holding out hope for the rest of the numbers to play out in our favor. So far, the grass is looking greener everyday.

Latest posts