Latest Numbers on the VBR & OVL's

Uncofirmed posting on aafa4m is stating the OVL's requested met the anticipated overage, so there should not be any involuntary furloughs. Offical annoucnement from the company tomorrow per APFA hotline. Good news all around.... those who wanted to take time off can do so and those who are junior will be saved from an involuntary taking of time off.

Special APFA News Update for July 29, 2008

APFA is pleased to announce that, based on the Overage Leave proffer results, none of our members will be furloughed effective August 31, 2008.

This is great news for all APFA members. Results of the Overage Leave proffer will be posted on the Flight Service website. Meantime, Flight Attendants can check their HI10 to see whether or not they were awarded an Overage Leave and the effective dates.

Due to the significant impact of the Voluntary Bridge to Retirement and the strong demand for Overage Leaves, many Flight Attendants were not granted their first choice for Overage Leave. Others were not able to hold any Overage Leave.

No Partnership Flying requests were awarded as the entire overage projected for August 31 was offset by the VBR and the leaves.

There were fewer than 100 full-year leaves awarded system-wide. The combination of the full-year leaves, coupled with the VBRs, satisfied the projected overage for the 12-month period. The remaining leaves awarded allow for increased staffing over the holidays, as well as the projected manning for the period leading up to the summer 2009 schedule.

Excellent news! Wonderful to hear the cooperation between the APFA, the Company and the flight attendants so as to avoid involuntary furloughs in this period of downsizing.

Excellent news! Wonderful to hear the cooperation between the APFA, the Company and the flight attendants so as to avoid involuntary furloughs in this period of downsizing.
You've said it all! Let's hope the other work groups will be able to follow this example.

That's fantastic news. I've been laid off several times in my life, so I know what it's like to face career uncertainty and I'm very glad that none of AA's FAs will have to go through that in the near-term. Congratulations to all that are getting out. I think this nicely illustrates that point that a TWU poster made recently: not everything between labor and the company is a zero-sum game. There are situations where collaboration yields more than antagonism, and this was clearly one of them.

I think this nicely illustrates that point that a TWU poster made recently: not everything between labor and the company is a zero-sum game. There are situations where collaboration yields more than antagonism, and this was clearly one of them.

oh puh-leeze....you're forgetting that this is a contractual item, offer leaves and early outs before furloughs. What do you think Management would do if this wasn't in our contract?

I still stand by my opinion, AMR management would rather have below minimum wage seasonal workers they can pay under the table, who don't complain and wouldn't know any better if they're being screwed over, doing all our jobs. Management's main and only concern is the bottomline , the bonus they can get every year, and how much they can get away with without getting caught.

I just worked a flight where our plane had arrived and been sitting at the gate for sometime before we got there. We enter the AC and it was filthy, carpet wasn't vacuumed, crumbs all over the galleys, lavs stunk as usual, and "folded" blankets everywhere (OHB and seats). Cleaners had already been onboard and left. I asked the CSM and agents if they could call them back and re-do the AC cleaning and the reply was "We could call BUT we're gonna have a delay." So freaking what!!, I said and CSM begrudgingly makes a call. Then they begin boarding before someone could come, so now it's too late for the "cleaning coordinator" to do any clean-up. I asked what the heck happened, the plane was there for almost and hour and it looked like crap insdie. he goes "That's how it works here...." and goes on a sad commentary about how short-handed he is and how Management has made the wise decision of "never mind a dirty AC, just as long as we have an On-Time departure" because that's what passenger surveys tells them. what a crock of BS!!!!

so if you think Management worked "hand-in-hand' with the APFA regarding these leaves, think harder. If it wasn't a contractual item I'm sure we would have seen something different.

oh puh-leeze....you're forgetting that this is a contractual item, offer leaves and early outs before furloughs. What do you think Management would do if this wasn't in our contract?
Overage leaves are contract, but the 15k bridge to retirement is not. As one of those saved, I'm glad the union and company were able to come up wih that option.

MK

Coldplay, oh my...such vitriol. :rolleyes: The fact of the matter remains that this is a positive for both AA and APFA members.

Latest posts

Back