Line Hanger Space

chilokie1

Senior
May 11, 2005
With all the talk about heavy checks being accomplished using
multiple phase checks instead of the way LAA schedules its maintenance,
are the line stations equipped to handle the volume of work ?
I'm talking hanger & ramp space not manpower, one question
from the ORD town hall was the lack of hanger space now.
Iam assuming hanger space in ORD, LAX, & JFK is pretty pricey.

It is scheduled on an overnight just like most other work is done, it changes nothing in terms of ramp or hanger space.

Reactions: 2 people
PMUS has line hangers in CLT, PHL, BOS, DCA, and I believe PHX does also, not sure about PIT.

They narrowbody airbus still gets a heavy overhaul every five to six years, which is an s-check depending when the plane was built, as does the widebodies get a phase done in PHL and they also get an annual HMV and a five to six year overhaul, which are S-checks.

PMUS 757s get annual HMV also.

The C12 is not an overnight check, that is several days for the narrowbody airbus.

I understand That LUS would have the capacity, it's their system. LAA
has a much larger fleet, could a station like ORD handle the workload
with its lack of hanger space and Chicago's weather (again Iam using ORD
because the hanger question came up at the town hall, that is my reference).

That type of maintenance is only for the Airbus.

US doesnt have a maintenance program for the 737s, 777s nor the 787s, they do for the 767 and 757, AA is adapting to the PMUS way for the airbus.

Reactions: 1 person
You might request the moderators to ask to fix the spelling on Hangar on the title so you don't get called out for a typo

700UW said:
PMUS has line hangers in CLT, PHL, BOS, DCA, and I believe PHX does also, not sure about PIT.

They narrowbody airbus still gets a heavy overhaul every five to six years, which is an s-check depending when the plane was built, as does the widebodies get a phase done in PHL and they also get an annual HMV and a five to six year overhaul, which are S-checks.

PMUS 757s get annual HMV also.

The C12 is not an overnight check, that is several days for the narrowbody airbus.
PIT's line hangar has 6 bays.  Each perfectly sized for a Convair 580 or a BAC 1-11. 

The center bay does have one aperture door that is used for A321 drop ins, such as the Wi-Fi mod or pre-ops mods. 

All this Hangar space being pricey, when TUL is practically free of charge. For the over cost they could part of these through TUL and save money .

Reactions: 1 person
chilokie,
Spoke to the LUS AMTs and they said they do quite a few of the NB 'Bus Phase Checks outside in warm weather stations like LAX and PHX. Managers around here are telling me the LAA fleets like the 777 and then the 767 will be migrating to the LUS type phase program and eliminate the BCs. So that tells me if they want to be like LUS then some of the phase and new 'bus type 15 man ACs will be the norm. That tells me that only HMVs will continue to hit the base. I doubt the line has enough HC so there must plans for a "realignment" of AMTs in the future.

Buck,
I think the idea is that by breaking the LC up in to phases they don't have to park a plane for 5 to 10 days while it gets and LC. Now AA can fly it after an overnight. LUS does their phases in a 10 hour overnight. That means each aircraft that doesn't get an LC has up to 10 days of extra flying.

realtired,
The LUS AMTs I spoke to said the rumor has been for a while PIT base MX was moving to CLT. That what you have been hearing?

Overspeed said:
chilokie,
Spoke to the LUS AMTs and they said they do quite a few of the NB 'Bus Phase Checks outside in warm weather stations like LAX and PHX. Managers around here are telling me the LAA fleets like the 777 and then the 767 will be migrating to the LUS type phase program and eliminate the BCs. So that tells me if they want to be like LUS then some of the phase and new 'bus type 15 man ACs will be the norm. That tells me that only HMVs will continue to hit the base. I doubt the line has enough HC so there must plans for a "realignment" of AMTs in the future.

Buck,
I think the idea is that by breaking the LC up in to phases they don't have to park a plane for 5 to 10 days while it gets and LC. Now AA can fly it after an overnight. LUS does their phases in a 10 hour overnight. That means each aircraft that doesn't get an LC has up to 10 days of extra flying.
Ok, this phase checks, I understand, but is there a term called MSP3 or something like that?

If you are talking about MSG3 almost all airlines started following that philosophy for years.

Latest posts