AFA MEC E-line "New USAirways"

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Folks,

Below is an exerpt from the MEC E-line put out by Mike Flores, AFA MEC President.

As much as things change...they really do stay the same! Pass the kool-aide West brothers and sisters...the well went dry with the stuff on East end. B) Knowing Jerry G as I do, he will attempt again to force the union leaders to just move money around in the new agreements instead of real negotiations. I only hope the AFA MEC kicks their assez and brings this managements disresepect of the sacrifices made by the employees, the union and its representation out in public view and scrutiny. After all, there will be no ratification from the East f/as without improvments, and no BK to hide behind.

"NEW" US AIRWAYS

The merger between US Airways and America West was announced in May 2005 and the financial transaction closed this past September. Although merged on paper, the two airlines will continue to operate under separate operating certificates and will not completely integrate until sometime in 2007. To be clear, neither America West nor US Airways bought the other carrier. Financial commitments from outside investors such as General Electric and Airbus created what is now the nation's fifth largest airline-and the most well capitalized. The senior management, directors and managers selected to run the airline are primarily from America West with some US Airways personnel sprinkled in. As the last few months have passed we have seen new programs, initiatives and policies put in place-some good and some bad. Within the past 6 weeks the Company has made several announcements:

The addition of three new European destination; Lisbon, Stockholm and Milan.
The acquisition of three B757 aircraft to fly the aforementioned routes.
An order for Embraer 190 aircraft, scheduled to begin service in January 2007.
The large transfer posting to PHL and possible displacements.
The recall of at least 400 Flight Attendants during the remainder of 2006.
During the past six weeks there has bee a very disturbing trend developing with regard to the treatment of the Union by the Company. Rumors had been swirling in the days preceding each of these announcements. I was assured I would be notified prior to the formal announcements being made. In all cases my first formal notification came not from the Company, but rather, from Yahoo News Alerts. With regard to the new equipment and new international destinations, there exist contractual provisions that have been, if not outright ignored, delayed. The Embraer 190 order requires not only notification, but Union input during the design phase of the interior design plans. Apparently the aircraft interior design has been completed. I notified the Company of the contractual requirements regarding new aircraft and service. After each announcement by the Company I have been told, "This is not the way we do business and we need to do better."

The Union was informed on Thursday, March 9th of the decision to recall Flight Attendants. I was asked not to release any information until the Company made the announcement the following day as part of the scheduled "US Airways Media Day". The actual announcement was not made until the following Tuesday. With all the rumors and fear the transfer posting had caused I was forced to inform the membership of the Company's plans on Monday evening. When the formal announcement was made on Tuesday I again received my first notification from Yahoo. Again I was told, "This is not the way we do business and we need to do better". In Company communications to Flight Attendants regarding the potential displacements the process was referred to as an "involuntary shuffle". No one at the "NEW" US Airways seems to be able to adequately interpret or articulate our agreement.

In February the Company notified the Unions the policy of allowing certain Union leaders Space Positive travel was going to be restricted. For at least the last twenty years the Company, recognizing the fact that we have more than one domicile, has allowed MEC officers and certain designated MEC Chairpersons Space Positive travel from their city of residence to the MEC office in Pittsburgh or Crystal City. The travel was authorized on our term passes. The Company has now decided Space Positive travel for Union leaders will only be authorized for meeting that are directly with the Company. The previous Space Positive Travel policy has been significantly watered down and does not allow a seat to be held out of inventory until the day of travel, essentially making the travel Space Available. As an aside I have been on the jumpseat the last two times I have returned from PHX while Company officials have been in First Class. Internal Union business will no longer be included in Space Positive travel. This Company distinction between Company business and Union business will have a direct and adverse effect on our ability to represent our members. The Company has a contractual right to recognize AFA as the representative of the Flight Attendants in the employ of the Company and adhere to years of past practice. The Company has stated this is all about revenue. I believe the policy change is designed to make it more difficult for the Union to do the job of representing the membership. The Company seems to have the notion that our job is to plot against them. In reality our job has been, and will continue to be, to administer the contract and facilitate the relationship between both parties.

Even more disturbing were Doug Parkers comments during the previously mentioned Media Day event. When asked about the policy change by Melanie Troutman of the Wall Street Journal (to whom I had previously spoken) Mr. Parker responded:

"In the past, there had been a large group of union members who basically had a free pass to fly anytime they wanted. If they are flying in regard to a company matter, I have no problem with flying them. But if they are using the airline to fly on union business, that is what union dues are for." As a result, he said, "yes, US Airways had changed the policy. US Airways, by being a legacy carrier, had given away a lot of its product. That is an expensive way to do things. In our mind, you stop doing these [kind of things] when you have currency instead of beaver pelts or whatever you're going to use for barter."

Mr. Parker has also tried to equate Union travel with special free travel provided to vendors and travel agents saying, "The issue of 'free travel' was coming up from others, not just union leadership."

First of all I would like to point out to Mr. Parker that in AFA's case there was not a "large number" of union leaders allowed Space Positive travel. Only 6 AFA officials were allowed Space Positive travel: the MEC officers, MEC Grievance, Safety and Legislative Chairpersons. Secondly we never had a "free pass" anytime we wanted. We were allowed travel from our city of residence to the MEC office or to Company headquarter. This is a multi-council airline (unlike the former America West) and it not plausible to expect that all the MEC officers and the select Chairpersons live in the domicile the MEC office is located. And finally, the "beaver pelts" we used for barter included exactly $179.32 million dollars in concessions for 2005 alone and anywhere between $195.00 million and $108.49 million yearly during the duration of the 2004 concessionary agreement. Surely those givebacks are enough to offset the revenue drain from the alleged "give away" of the US Airways product.

During the past month all of the Unions have been writing to senior US Airway management in response to the new Union Travel Policy. Our complaints have been acknowledged but not addressed. I need to stress to the membership and the Company Union travel is not a perk or a "give away". It is a necessity and a cost of doing business. Furthermore this is not a personal issue for me. Although the new policy requires MEC officers, Chairpersons and negotiating committee members jump though numerous time-consuming hoops in order to attend meetings with Company we will ultimately be provided the necessary travel. Why? Because they need us to negotiate a merged contract in order to complete the operational merger that will ultimately make this company successful. That travel is necessary for the Company. Union business travel is in the view of the Company not as important.

There is a reason for this new policy-and it is not about revenue. The reason for the restrictions and differentiation is intended to make the day-today job of Union business more difficult. Ultimately this affects ALL of our members and I recognize the intent of the new policy. It is not about making me ride the jumpseat-it is about weakening and even busting this Union.

To try to draw a distinction between internal Union business and Company/Union business is insulting and damaging. To further equate Union business travel with the "free travel" previously doled out to peanut vendors and travel agents is ridiculous.

In order for both America West and US Airways to be in this position at all the AFA members at US Airways had to enter into and agree to concessionary bargaining resulting in the aforementioned cost savings to the Company. Subsequent to the merger, the AFA members at America West were forced to suspend their Section 6 negotiations. In order for the two carriers to be fully integrated and achieve the "synergies" that were sold to the financial community the Company must have in place both merged contracts and seniority lists. It is their turn to be concessionary. I am not going to stand by idly while this management continues the practice of violating our contract and years of past practice.

To Mr. Parker I say this Union will be a part of this Company only if we are treated with the respect we have earned and we will not be pushed aside and treated as an afterthought. If we are not treated with that respect we will be forced to withdraw form the process. The financial community has obviously prospered as a result of this merger as the stock has risen from the opening of $20 per share to over $35. To management I say, "Ladies and gentlemen, we have a job to do so let's quit throwing up roadblocks and get the job done." We are all going to prosper here or we are all going to fail.

The "NEW" US Airways company slogan "Fly with US" is quite catchy. Now, catch this slogan, this Company will get nowhere without us.

MERGED CONTRACT TALKS

The joint negotiating committee (JNC) will meet March 21-23 with the Company committee in PHX (assuming we all get there per the new Union travel policy). The JNC met internally last week to prepare for the upcoming session. Our last meeting with the Company resulted in tentative agreement to sections relating to DUES CHECK OFF (Section 28) and COLLECTIVE BARGAINING SERVICE CHARGE (Section 29). At our last meeting we presented the Company with a proposal for MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS (Section 23). The Company will respond to that proposal this week. The agenda for this week's session also includes our proposal for SAFTEY AND HEALTH (Section 25). I will report the results of this weeks' session at weeks end (assuming I get home per the new Union travel policy).

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
The US Airways Master Executive Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think Dougie is missing the boat on this one regarding, what he sees as "free travel." I lost much respect for him when I read that.

Just a question/thought.....why not allow the MEC first come first serve for the F/A jumpseats when traveling on business? They are all qualified to ride the jumpseat, where officers are not. This does guarantee that a revenue seat is not removed from inventory unnecessarily. There are at least 1-2 jumpseats on every airplane that are not occupied. So, in the case of AFA, why not require them to ride jumpseat instead of a revenue seat?

While I do not necessarily disagree that union leaders should be afforded space-positive travel to certain union meetings and activities, including inter-MEC and LEC meetings, I might be a little more sympathetic to Mr. Flores' position if 65% of the overall message didn't drone on about this one issue that affects only a few people. I can definitely see this benefit getting abused. "Gee, let's have an LEC meeting in Cancun next week!" I think not!

Mr. Flores spends 130 words at the end of the post to update his constituency on the contract talks. That is after almost 1,200 "woe is us" words about a benefit which only a select few enjoy. By the time readers get to the contract talks, I dare say most have probably lost interest.

If Mr. Flores can find time to go on-and-on about the space positive issue, surely he can find time non-rev.

Mr. Flores is no Teddy Xidas. Where's the effort for the underdog that Teddy so ferociously fought for?

While I do not necessarily disagree that union leaders should be afforded space-positive travel to certain union meetings and activities, including inter-MEC and LEC meetings, I might be a little more sympathetic to Mr. Flores' position if 65% of the overall message didn't drone on about this one issue that affects only a few people. I can definitely see this benefit getting abused. "Gee, let's have an LEC meeting in Cancun next week!" I think not!

Mr. Flores spends 130 words at the end of the post to update his constituency on the contract talks. That is after almost 1,200 "woe is us" words about a benefit which only a select few enjoy. By the time readers get to the contract talks, I dare say most have probably lost interest.

If Mr. Flores can find time to go on-and-on about the space positive issue, surely he can find time non-rev.

Mr. Flores is no Teddy Xidas. Where's the effort for the underdog that Teddy so ferociously fought for?

DC,

You get no argument from me on that. I am NO proponent or advocate for Mike F. or his leadership. In fact, its the most I've seen him write out about in many months. The negotiating committees only meet 6 days a month. However, my point in posting this is to show that Dougie has a long way to go bridging in gaps with labor specifically on the East. Just another example of the lack of respect shown by management in light of all the renegotiations many times over from the union with agreements and saving the company. I believe that Mike was attempting to show this in his e-line as well.

What many f/as have to be observant for is any nogtiations where the company all of a sudden gives "space positive" travel to the MEC in exchange for WHAT??????

Knowing JG, he is shrewd like that. He loves pitting members against union and union against union.

This maybe all strategy on the part of the company to gain some monetary benefit from all the f/as in exchange for non-rev BS. You know, make the f/as pay for MEC space positive travel again via negotiations. I am sure the MEC members (LECs) will watch out for that "bling/blang".

I had to good friend that was at a Director’s Level….

He told me, anyone at my level gets FREE use of the Clubs and UNLIMITED POSTIVE SPACE TRAVEL. Talk about the ability to abuse…!!

SL

What a load of crap, How stupid does Doogie think we are?
We know that if he was TRULY concerned about giving away 'free travel', he would curb the tens of thousands of dollars worth that goes to the BofD and their families and cronies.

MarkMyWords, West mgmnt is authorized to ride cabin jumpseat.
There is no reasoin Union LECs should have to ride jumpseat for Union business, especially if this has never been policy.
DCA flyer, 'non-rev' is not that easy, and I personlly was glad to see the comments by Mr. Flores. So I know whats going on on the East side. It affects us all.

Desertgal...

What is the big deal about LEC or MEC members riding jumpseat instead of blocking a revenue seat? Revenue is the name of the game. If you want raises and benefit changes, then INCREASING revenue is what we need to do to become profitable. Just because "we've never done it that way before" doesn't mean it has to be that way for life.

Desertgal...

What is the big deal about LEC or MEC members riding jumpseat instead of blocking a revenue seat? Revenue is the name of the game. If you want raises and benefit changes, then INCREASING revenue is what we need to do to become profitable. Just because "we've never done it that way before" doesn't mean it has to be that way for life.
MMW
While we're at it, We should cut down on some of managements [free riders].
Revenue is the name of the game.

On a west a/c, does Doug ride the jumpseat? He IS allowed ya know? Why first class then? Isn't that taking away revenue?

ok guys i e-maild parker on this. here is what he had to say.....

A: . I had not seen this letter, but Mike and I have talked about this
issue a number of times so it doesn't surprise me. This is one of the
changes we've made at the new company that is unpopular with many at the old
company (much like retiree flight benefits was) and we're apparently just
going to have to agree to disagree.

The new policy is a compromise between what existed at AWA and at old US. At
AWA, we allowed positive space travel only for union members on company
business. If they wanted to travel for union business, it was space
available just as if they were non-revs on a leisure trip. At US, positive
space was allowed for all union business. We compromised by saying that we
would provide positive space for all company required travel and a higher
space available level for all union business.

This of course was good news for the AWA unions but worse than what the old
US unions were used to. Mike has argued that the difference is due to US
having multiple domiciles, but this of course is only relevant to AFA and
ALPA. Each of the other AWA unions had employees all over the US and made
this work. Furthermore, as we added a LAS domicile to AWA, no one suggested
we needed to change the union travel policy.

The fact is the difference is philosophical, like a lot of things we've
found at "legacy" US. I'm not sure how it came about and I understand the
resistence to change, but on differences like this we do what we think is
fair to all concerned and what we would do if we were starting a new
company. I am certain that when GM asks Detroit based UAW members to travel
with them to their Saturn plant in Smyrna, that GM pays for the ticket(as
they do for management). I am equally certain that if the UAW members decide
to make a similar trip on their own, then the union pays for the trip.

In the case of US' unions it is no different except they have one key
advantage -- they have the ability to non-rev for free! Better yet, in
recognition of past practice, we've given them a higher boarding priority
than any of our other non-revs. That seems very fair to me and I'm happy to
defend it to anyone who asks.

Hope this helps you better understand where we're coming from. Thanks for
the note. Doug.

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue Mar 21 10:21:56 2006
Subject: hey doug

This is a crock the company is wrong, for example the IAM M&R have four General Chairman who represent 20 stations, they require extensive travel to represent the members.

The company is totally wrong.

MMW
While we're at it, We should cut down on some of managements [free riders].
Revenue is the name of the game.

I agree with you 100%. If it isn't related to company business, then they can 1) purchase a ticket or 2) travel SA like the rest of us. Who can afford to buy a "personal travel" ticket more? The agent making 7.50 and hour or the Executive making 250K.

I'm (sort of) with Parker on this.

The IAM and AFA "business" when not meeting with the company is union business. Ergo, why should the company pay for it? "Representing the members" is a problem of the union, not the company. "Representing the members" is not company business. I'm sort of suprised that the old US paid for this type of thing in the first place.

That said, VPs should only be space positive on company business, and only then in Y. On their own time/dime, it's to the back of the bus. I would not be flying vendors around either (in fact, I'd require potential vendors to buy their freaking tickets on US).

The former is the more important point here. That AFA has multiple LECs or that the IAM has one GC representing 20 stations is the unions' problem, not US'.

Desertgal...

Why not? CEO and senior management get bonuses and huge compensation regardless of company profits. Why? Because that is the way it has always been done!