Line Stations Pay the Price

I'm sure there are a lot of techs in Tulsa that are against what the company and the TWU are doing. A lot of guys from Tulsa voted no on the concessions and Burchette got into office with less than a third of the eligible vote. But thats part of the problem. By not producing decent candidates for office Tulsa allows guys like Burchette and McDonald to be their voice, so the voice we hear from Tulsa says "Screw the line".
No truer words could you speak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough of the name usage within the public forums gentlemen. Take it to PM if you want to get personal.

Enough of the name usage within the public forums gentlemen. Take it to PM if you want to get personal.
:huh: ...who's using real names of posters on these boards?

the statement "I don't get it Big Dan" was taken from a movie called "Oh Brother where art thou"

I went to the big pow wow in Dallas on the 27th and 28th of March, for the line maintenance cost savings brainstorming. Anyway, after seeing the costs of actually closing six of the smaller line stations - the value was minimal. The big plan is to get the productivity up - per typical shift worked for a (line) AMT from 4 hours to 5 or 6 hours per shift. To achieve that, a system wide thinning is expected. However, the stand in stead program is still in play for line MX. So far, three possible plans are being studied. One is a 5 and 5 type plan, the next would be a 1 and 1, and the next would be the $10k extra along with the SIS. This could set off a landslide of retirements - we all know guys that are close, but not close enough - well this just might do it. The company would meet or most likely exceed the savings expected from line MX alone with this early out offer. As far as Tulsa goes, they were tasked with saving almost $50 MILLION for 2006; in addition, to the $500 MILLION commitment they signed on for. Word is, nobody hits the street unwillingly - everybody will be offered a job for what thats worth. B)

I question the validity of the figures. Sure it costs money to have maintenance in class 2 stations, just like it costs money to have them in Class 1 stations. From my experience productivity in Class 2 stations is if anything higher than Class 1 stations. Cutting out maintenance in those stations may actually cost them money because the work that is done in those class 2 stations makes the fleet more reliable. So while it may be easy to calculaute how much they are saving by eliminating those stations its harder to calculate the cost in terms of delays and cancellations until after the money is lost.

The logic is flawed, so is managements approach to running the business. Management is more focused on reducing labor costs instead of generating revenue. Like Gordon Bethune said "You can make Pizza so cheap that nobody would buy it"?

I question the validity of the figures. Sure it costs money to have maintenance in class 2 stations, just like it costs money to have them in Class 1 stations. From my experience productivity in Class 2 stations is if anything higher than Class 1 stations. Cutting out maintenance in those stations may actually cost them money because the work that is done in those class 2 stations makes the fleet more reliable. So while it may be easy to calculaute how much they are saving by eliminating those stations its harder to calculate the cost in terms of delays and cancellations until after the money is lost.

The logic is flawed, so is managements approach to running the business. Management is more focused on reducing labor costs instead of generating revenue. Like Gordon Bethune said "You can make Pizza so cheap that nobody would buy it"?

Bob,

Your point was expressed over and over to management. We would explain the scenario (AMT goes out fixes an A/C at departure - that would have otherewise CXLD - saves the company thousands of dollars - hell, that AMT has just earned his pay for the next two months. Consider the alternative, call some third party mx contractor wait a couple hours for him to show up, if he does. Then he has probably never worked on the A/C or is unfamiliar with the system affected - well there's your cancellation and/or HUGE delay. Then here comes the field trip. The problem is, it's hard to capture these saves our line AMTs make every day and express them on a pie chart or power-point presentation. The only way the company learns is by having to relearn past lessons already learned. We have new leadership, and they have to relearn by making the same mistakes their predessesors made. Pull back on the class twos; hell, they're an easy target. Then five years later realise that pulling back was a mistake when system reliability drops dramatically.

Bob,

Your point was expressed over and over to management. We would explain the scenario (AMT goes out fixes an A/C at departure - that would have otherewise CXLD - saves the company thousands of dollars - hell, that AMT has just earned his pay for the next two months. Consider the alternative, call some third party mx contractor wait a couple hours for him to show up, if he does. Then he has probably never worked on the A/C or is unfamiliar with the system affected - well there's your cancellation and/or HUGE delay. Then here comes the field trip. The problem is, it's hard to capture these saves our line AMTs make every day and express them on a pie chart or power-point presentation. The only way the company learns is by having to relearn past lessons already learned. We have new leadership, and they have to relearn by making the same mistakes their predessesors made. Pull back on the class twos; hell, they're an easy target. Then five years later realise that pulling back was a mistake when system reliability drops dramatically.

One thing to keep in mind is that should maintenance be pulled out of a station, flight crews will be aware that they should not write up items unless they are "no-go!"
They will adapt to no more maintenance and will not be writing discrepancies they otherwise would have had mechanics been available.
Should a "no-go" or airworthy problem arise, they would call a contract maintenance outfit.

With respect to overnight maintenance, not every station has mechanics where aircraft spend the night. These stations coupled with not having a crew base strentghen the argument. A crew terminating an aircraft at a non-crew base, non maintenance station would also be aware that he/she will be flying that same aircraft out in the morning.
Now if the aircraft terminates with a "no-go" or airworthy problem, mechanics from Class I stations could go on a field trip for the repairs.

Need I remind you, there is no more Double Time for field trips!

One thing to keep in mind is that should maintenance be pulled out of a station, flight crews will be aware that they should not write up items unless they are "no-go!"
They will adapt to no more maintenance and will not be writing discrepancies they otherwise would have had mechanics been available.
Should a "no-go" or airworthy problem arise, they would call a contract maintenance outfit.

With respect to overnight maintenance, not every station has mechanics where aircraft spend the night. These stations coupled with not having a crew base strengthen the argument. A crew terminating an aircraft at a non-crew base, non maintenance station would also be aware that he/she will be flying that same aircraft out in the morning.
Now if the aircraft terminates with a "no-go" or airworthy problem, mechanics from Class I stations could go on a field trip for the repairs.

Hopeful, you're speaking a sad truth there. The flight crews are definitely part of the formula. Everything for us depends on what they write up.

Hopeful, you're speaking a sad truth there. The flight crews are definitely part of the formula. Everything for us depends on what they write up.

That's how SWA does it! No maintenance somewhere, no writeups unless they can ground an aircraft!

With respect to overnight maintenance, not every station has mechanics where aircraft spend the night. These stations coupled with not having a crew base strentghen the argument. A crew terminating an aircraft at a non-crew base, non maintenance station would also be aware that he/she will be flying that same aircraft out in the morning.

NO-Go items are the ones that wont be written up, crew placardable items will. I think what you mean is that Flight Crews wont be writing up items unless there is no way that they cant write them up.