Management at US and UA--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

There is no comparison to WN in my opinion. SWA is a point to point carrier with just 737s. US is a mix of Airbus and Boeing and flies the USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, and Europe as well as Latin America. SWA has HAPPPY PEOPLE because they TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES AND THE EMPLOYEES TAKE CARE OF THE COMPANY AND SWA! US mgmt is so far out that there is no returning unless a whole new mgmt team is brought in. Bring on Bethune He did wonders at CO There is a reason why the FF are leaving-- mgmt dont care about anything or anyone except COST COST COST and that so far has been horrible with US

I can’t remember , but aren’t you out on furlough ?

It's beyond that point. A winning airline. That makes me so sad. Poor thing doesn't know what it's like to be employeed by a winning airline. If he really knew, he would be kicking himself in the a$$ for what he is saying, and would finally understand our passion. His only hope is when we are purged of the west, have a CEO that truly wants to run a good quality product (Paging Gordon Bethuen sp?) then he will really see what it means to work for a winner.

If they would just leave us the heck alone we would be an award winning airline, flights would go out on time, baggage would not be lost and our smiles alone would win back our customers that skipped out. I am just glad that he/she is not a front line employee. Could you imagine? He/she wouldn't last 1 hour in an east coast station with that "tude".

NO NO NO , the airline you speak of is GONE FOR EVER … accept that fact ….

We are in a RECESSION!!!! Americans don’t want to pay for service!!! They want point A to point B at the lowest price possible !!

But you all have been flying for free or having someone else pay for your flying that you’ve completely lost touch!!!

If those of you out there keep going on about service, a return to the old ways and a new CEO who will pay you more …….your going to walk yourselves right over the cliff and not even know it ..

The ONLY thing that will make the majority of us airways workers happy is increased wages , that’s it plain and simple , and the company can only do SO much … even less now that the industry is starting to fall down …

Folks ,this poster once tried to convince this board what a huge role Phx would have in a UA/US merger? unfortunately he has never been one to let facts stand in the way of his argument 'I have to admit I have been looking around for those tools he was speaking of but so far no luck. If you have said tools in PHX why is it you still can't zone load an airplane?

I haven't meet Parker personally just it's easy to see the long list mistakes he and his crew have made.just look at this board fleet,customer service, flight attendants, pilots and even passengers all agree and give example after example of this.
Are you so vain to just brush all that aside just to bleat I'm right I'm right
Your willingness to discount a passenger who fly 250,000 miles a years value to this company proofs your credibility in this matter.Do you have any ideal how many Ma and Pas and how many times they need to fly to get 250,000 miles??

I have meet Kirby and I can assure you the man has no clue of the working ground ops of an airline

btw in a recession your beloved southwest is paying fleet 7 dollars an hour more than any US fleet employee and has fuel hedged for years to come where does Dougie and the TACB stand on all this?

First , I’m not defending Kirby , I don’t like his performance overall , althou recently it has started to improve somewhat ( I think ), if they let him go tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear ..

As for all of the disgruntled employee’s on here , heck YES I’m ready and willing to brush them off .. I KNOW what the employee’s want and it’s NEW management , WHY ??? Because we’ve had sooooo much trouble making the kind of headway that we would all like in contract negotiations… we use different straw arguments to make our complaining about the senior management sound like it has merit , no tools , over compensated CEO’s etc… but I KNOW how you think …

Sadly I’ve crossed over , I LIKE my new contract , and it couldn’t have come sooner , thank god … and to those ends I’m going to take the BEST course of action to PRESEVRE my job and the rest of YOUR jobs to the best of my ability … many of you are blinded by despair and “numbness†, it’s the emotional effect of working under a BK contract … I’m sorry for you , truly am , but life will be harder for you if we go out of business , hence that’s why I want to KEEP PARKER…

As for your last point CLTRAT , even I don’t think fleet workers should be paid 26 dollars an hour … that just seems crazy , especially with full benefits .. But HEY , if your willing to turn a flight an hour all day ,every week, 365 days a year , then what the heck let’s give it a try eh ? You want to tell your co workers you want everyone to work 8 flights a day , 2 men a flight , by all means give it a try …

We are in a RECESSION!!!! Americans don’t want to pay for service!!! They want point A to point B at the lowest price possible !!

Shhhhh, don't tell CO that. They still provide outstanding service for a competitive price and they have the second strongest balance sheet only behind WN.

Was DoUgIe jilted again today? Wouldn't want to be in Tempe tomorrow....Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...wonder who he'll blame...probably place the blame with the employees or the customers...US isn't attractive to another carrier because they have bitter employees and a FF contingency that thinks they are above the law. :rolleyes: Chug, chug, chug...keep drinking that kool-ade.

Freedom,

You hear me talking but you are not listening. It's not personal with me either.

I am not looking for things to return to the way they were because it's not possible. I am a realist. I am not living in fantasy land. However, CO, AA and DL appear to be in equal or better shape financially, even with announced cuts and mergers, yet they can offer value to their customer with a desirable product yet US cannot or will not. And stop using WN as a comparison. They used to be your primary competition in the west..in the east your competiton IS UA, AA, CO, DL, etc.......NOT WN.

The gist of what I am saying is that DP and team have made some stupid decisions, which have come back to bite, and they have cut too severely in order to keep the bottom line.

While US is not alone in making some of these changes, the planning and execution has been deplorable. Taking out closets, without realizing you needed to put the emergency equipment somewhere else--thereby taking up overhead space which should be usable to customers. Putting oxygen tanks next to the ovens on some aircraft....

Transitioning to a reservations system because it was cheaper--on the surface. It was not properly tested, it was not properly configured, and now- 15 months it's still not functionally sound--and has cost US MILLIONS in lost revenues and lost customers.

While there are some charges which should be considered, US continually nickels and dimes customers in ways that other majors don't. ONLY UA has joined the no 500 mile minimum...I know YOU don't care about that but most of my members do.

I am a realist. Fact is that US has the highest unit costs of any major. If they had been able to negotiate with labor, they would have gotten more efficiencies. If they had PLANNED the changes better they would not have incurred the costs they have, and might not have one of the worst DOT records.

Yes US is a success. On a recent trip to Europe, I was part of a group of 37 people. Of those 7 did not receive their luggage when they arrived in MXP. Of those 7, ALL were on US Airways.

Your team has things backward. Scotty says they will cut back on services and amenities because we won't pay for them.

Other airlines are offering the services and amenities and as a result people are buying up.

I just paid for F on CO EWR to SEA next week. It was a full coach outbound, and the difference was not great, but it was extra revenue. No one in their right mind would pay for US F, which is really CO economy with bigger seats.....

Nuff said my friend... just don't insult us because we don't agree with you. You will lose in that argument.

Art,
I agree with you 100%, Doug and company have made many mistakes, to both customers and employees. I am afraid that it is not realized in HQ. It is merely mentioned, and it is not followed up on.
The "freedoms" nose is trying to go places that no one wants to be. Hardly a "realist".
It is real and someone is stuffing their head in the Phoenix sand!

If US had merged with LUV instead of AWA, most of you would still be complaining about their managment and them not understanding "A real Airline" or a "Big International Airline". It would be of course laughable becuase they are one of the top companies in the world, but it would have nicely illistrated how out of touch most of you bashers are.

From freedom's email box:

Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:49 PM
Subject: Thanks!

Hi “Freedomâ€￾,

Thanks for sticking up for me at USAviation.com! Other than that teenager in ORD, you’re my only friend on there. That reminds me, I need to ask that kid’s parents if they know a good realtor.

I'm having a BBQ at my house on July 4th, why don’t you swing by? I’ll have my assistant give you the address. If you don’t mind, could you swing by Circle K on your way and pick up a few bags of ice? Derek will pay you back.

Keep up the good fight,
Doug

First , I’m not defending Kirby , I don’t like his performance overall , althou recently it has started to improve somewhat ( I think ), if they let him go tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear ..

As for all of the disgruntled employee’s on here , heck YES I’m ready and willing to brush them off .. I KNOW what the employee’s want and it’s NEW management , WHY ??? Because we’ve had sooooo much trouble making the kind of headway that we would all like in contract negotiations… we use different straw arguments to make our complaining about the senior management sound like it has merit , no tools , over compensated CEO’s etc… but I KNOW how you think …

Sadly I’ve crossed over , I LIKE my new contract , and it couldn’t have come sooner , thank god … and to those ends I’m going to take the BEST course of action to PRESEVRE my job and the rest of YOUR jobs to the best of my ability … many of you are blinded by despair and “numbness†, it’s the emotional effect of working under a BK contract … I’m sorry for you , truly am , but life will be harder for you if we go out of business , hence that’s why I want to KEEP PARKER…

As for your last point CLTRAT , even I don’t think fleet workers should be paid 26 dollars an hour … that just seems crazy , especially with full benefits .. But HEY , if your willing to turn a flight an hour all day ,every week, 365 days a year , then what the heck let’s give it a try eh ? You want to tell your co workers you want everyone to work 8 flights a day , 2 men a flight , by all means give it a try …
Your posts are just so nonsensical, immature, illinformed and completely foolish that part of me wants to beg a moderator to close this thread because their just so pathetic...and you just don't realize it yourself. Thankfully the other part of me wants it to keep on rolling 'cause your posts are just so d**n entertaining to laugh at. GREAT STUFF! :lol:

freedom,
Unlike most on this board, I know you and have had the pleasure of working with you. You are a good and decent person. You are intelligent and civil in discourse and a regular upstanding guy.

Now I beg you - please stop this madness. Let it go. :(

Back