Management In Clt

workngd

Jul 8, 2004
Name your pick in CLT. They are suspending people here for jumping in and parking aircraft without an orange vest. " Any violation of a safety rule will result in suspension " There are memo's now posted on the walls.

Last night we were told to download an aircraft even though maintaince had blocked the cargo doors with cones for a safety reason. But we ended up having to download it anyway with maintance telling us the beltloader rail would catch the door but it was our decision. Needless to say it was downloaded.

What is next?

Can't hire people in both hubs(PHL & CLT) but they want to fire the ones that have 20+yrs.

You tell me :unsure:

Think of it as a benefit of working for this company - they won't pay you more so they'll give you more stress.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim

Have these suspensions been grieved? You can't discipline someone to the extend of loss of pay, without due process.

OTOH, there are a lot of safety items one should be aware of. For instance, the marshaller must complete a walkaround of his a/c within 10 minutes of arrival. If un-noted damage is observed during the walkaround, the marshaller or his lead MUST contact MC (not the crew, not local maintainence) immediately. If the damage has not been previously logged, the a/c MUST be inspected by qualified personnel before further dispatch.

I think it to always be a good idea to be fully aware of all safety requirements and follow them religiously.

FWIW, the safety vest is a chickens%$t idea, but the FAA will have your a$$ if THEY catch you without one.

It doesn't have to make sense.

Dio they can...Maybe you will get your money back with due process but it doesn't pay this weeks bill.

Maybe CLT should start behaving a little more like PHL ( nothing against PHL, I am behind you guys all the way) so that this company is running like management wants it to be run.

Not sure where that is.....after 23 yrs. still don't have the big picture yet from them. I have a big picture but it is like trying to get rid of a roach.....they keep coming :angry:

we used to work the ramp with lightning all around...i know in the hubs they stop everyhting in its tracks with there red light system.

The safety vests are a great idea to wear.

The DL ramp worker that was killed in BOS prior to X-Mas was not wearing a vest, and could not be seen in the early morning snow storm.

I don't blame the company for enforciong safety regs

Singleflyer said:
The safety vests are a great idea to wear.

The DL ramp worker that was killed in BOS prior to X-Mas was not wearing a vest, and could not be seen in the early morning snow storm.

I don't blame the company for enforciong safety regs
[post="250441"][/post]​

Singleflyer,

I don't think you will find any disputing the absloute merits of using safety gear...and following "Safety Regs" to the letter....but the issue at hand was people being punished for a momentary slip in one instance...then being ask to go against safety procedures in the next. Remember the comment about the safety cones being ignored at "Managements Instructions" to off load a B737 without clearing it with Maintenance first?

You cannot "Pick and Choose" what you are going to elect to enforce if "safety" is the first and foremost concern here?

You CAN "Pick and Choose" what you elect to enforce , if being punitive is your sole motivation however.

I do believe the contradiction of deed / actions Vs. reward and punishment is what is being taken to task in this thread , not the Merits of being right or wrong with safety vests.

The issue is injury and damage prevention , which this company has had more than its fair share of...with that in mind, it pays to be safe and right across the board..not at someones discretion for the sake of momentary expediance.

diogenes said:
FWIW, the safety vest is a chickens%$t idea, but the FAA will have your a$$ if THEY catch you without one.
[post="250403"][/post]​

In Europe, everyone on the ramp has to have an orange vest on, or you can be fined supposedly. Our 767's and A330's have several orange vests stored in the cockpit, to be used by any of the flight crew going down on the ramp for pre-flight walkaround, etc. I felt a little silly putting one of these on over my uniform prior to pre-flighting the plane, but you never ever saw anyone on the ramp without a fluorescent vest on either.

supercruiser

supercruiser said:
In Europe, everyone on the ramp has to have an orange vest on, or you can be fined supposedly. Our 767's and A330's have several orange vests stored in the cockpit, to be used by any of the flight crew going down on the ramp for pre-flight walkaround, etc. I felt a little silly putting one of these on over my uniform prior to pre-flighting the plane, but you never ever saw anyone on the ramp without a fluorescent vest on either.

supercruiser
[post="250444"][/post]​

Maybe you are right. Everyone should wear an orange vest while on ANY part of the SIDA. Would the rules be enforced with you? Would you get time off?

workngd said:
Dio they can...Maybe you will get your money back with due process but it doesn't pay this weeks bill.

Maybe CLT should start behaving a little more like PHL ( nothing against PHL, I am behind you guys all the way) so that this company is running like management wants it to be run.

Not sure where that is.....after 23 yrs. still don't have the big picture yet from them. I have a big picture but it is like trying to get rid of a roach.....they keep coming :angry:
[post="250420"][/post]​

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

workngd,

You've made an EXCELLENT point. "mabey Clt should start behaving like PHL"

No disrespect "workngd", but when it comes time to tell the "man" to go *uck himself, it's not in the DNA of folks south of the MASON DIXON line !!!!

CLT seems to have performed very well during the xmas fiasco. So what did it get you ?? "BALL brakeing" from management !!
What did the PHL guys get ?? "Chances to win TV's if they'ed PLEASE come to work""

I'm speaking from experience. I started my career with a "southern cult/mentality " airline, that you folks in CLT know a lot about PIEDMONT.

Piedmont was "the balls" south of the M/D line, but when it came to northern stations like PHL/EWR/LGA/BOS, their "red neck manageagement" BS , NEVER was respected !!!

I swear to GOD, I'll never understand "southern mentality" !!!!!!!!!!

Mabey I should enroll in UNC, and take a course in sociology. Perhaps the dept. head/professor can explain to me what "magic/OR detriment" the M/D line has over people.

NH/BB's

It wasn't only because of a vest, he also didn't use any wands and that day we were being visited by the company safety people. {who saw all of it}...

Wrong place at the wrong time, does happen to all of us..

Sounds like they deserved to be suspended. If you cant follow safety guidelines, then you dont need to be out there ... right?

No fliboi,

It is called progessive steps of discipline, the crime has to fit the punishment.

Do you give a jaywalker the Death Penalty?

You have to give a person the opportunity to improve their behavior, you don't kill them right away.

Hey NHBB,

Your generalization is as accurate as this one.

"Every #### I ever met was a Yankee."

We both know that's not so, it just seems that way sometimes. :lol: :lol:

The fact is, the South doesn't have a union tradition because it is historically rural, with single family farms. The North was industrial well before the South (the deciding point of the "Late Unpleasantness"), giving rise to the conditions for, and the abiliity to form, unions.

One of the reasons the Teamsters were decertified at U after the PI merger was the Teamsters brought their big-city, industrial attitude with them, and treated Southerners as ignorant rednecks (they were half right!).

BB, if someone treated you as a dumba$$, how well would you respond to it? Moreover, you have to assume the Teamsters wanted to win. How smart were they to treat voters shabbily?

As a result of the single family farm history, Southerners are all about holding their ground. Had the Teamsters capitalized on that (the company is taking food out of your baby's mouth, and we can help you stop them), they would have stood a better chance. And actually have been as smart as they thought they were.

Fast forward a bit.

Wilmington, NC was where the very first PI flight originated from. In 1995, fleet was still populated with good ol' boys, every one PI true blue.

They voted 100% FOR union representation.