mechanic observers at ballot counts. Let's hope for a 75% NO vote this time

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
I feel pretty good about the count now that I heard most locals have secured observers. Hopefully there will be a 75% or better NO vote.

I feel pretty good about the count now that I heard most locals have secured observers. Hopefully there will be a 75% or better NO vote.

I bet you are wrong. Too many people are rethinking their position having cooled down. Too many old timers with too much at stake, too many people that put themselves in deep debt in better times, too many junior people voting for their severance pay, too many people with kids in college, too many hefty mortgage payments from all the moving around. If like minded people as yourself do prevail, it will NOT be a landslide by any means.

On 9/15/2002 7:40:02 PM sabre wrote:

Sabre,

My phone has been busy today with calls to/from mechanics in Pitt and Tampa. The sentiment in both places, according to friends, is another NO vote. You're right, thought, the locals must have secured observers. There's too much riding on this vote for the IAM.

Get out and vote Tuesday.

My vote is still a NO.

Jet Mechanic

Good move to have observers. The IAM got funny at UAL and NWA when concessions were voted on that included a BOD seat for union officials. Keep 'em honest. (Ok, stop laughing)

Well I have been through both the company roadshow and the union roadshow and my vote is still NO. Unfortunately this time it may go through due to the threats and people unwilling to stand up for what they believe in. Many junior utility have indicated they will change their vote and I wish them good luck and look foward to seeing them in about 10yrs or so if they ever get recalled. Just look at the ramp and see what happened, they passed the contract, they were thanked and then the packets went out!

The economy is worsening, fuel prices are rising, passenger loads are dramatically off industry-wide, and the United States is on the verge of a second war: The war on terror and the invasion of Iraq.

The simple issue is this company is bankrupt and its receipts do not cover its expenses. The DIP financing or Credit Facility and Loan Guarantee require both IAM & CWA restructuring agreements.

Without concessionaire accords, this funding will be unavailable and the company could liquidate. Who wins? AA, UA, DL, NW, CO, & WN.

However, the bankrutpcy court has a resonsibility to the debtor and the creditors. Therefore, Judge Mitchell will have no option, but to approve the company's motion to cancel any union contract that has not been restructured or the airline will fail.

Let's not forget the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said on the (IAM's) Web site advise members that if the proposal isn't ratified, US Airways will ask for deeper concessions in bankruptcy court. It also warns that the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern Virginia District, which is based in Alexandria, Va., and is hearing the case, has a reputation for moving cases quickly and being anti-labor.

Therefore, doesn't make sense to limit the pain and vote yes? Or is it worth being emotional and getting hurt more?

Chip

Chip you sure are good at keeping up this fear campaign.I'm also a mechanic at US Airways.I've been here for 13 yrs.I too am voting no on this deal.You act as if the judge is going to throw away our contract like an old rag doll.You and I both know thats going to be easier said than done.Criteria have to be met,and the judge will be walking on uncharted ground.
The VP of maint. was in philly last week,and he said that due to the increased fleet downsizing there will be about 1000 more mechs. layed off,with or without a new agreement.That will be my job then.You may not realize this, but when I first started here , a topped out mech. made about 22 an hour.If we vote this in we will make 28 and change ,for the next two years,and going to about 31 after 6.5 years from now. Allowing for the IAM time frame in negotiating a new contract which is about 3.5 years,we might be at about 32 an hour.So from 1989 to 2012 a topped out mech. will get a 10 an hour raise. 10 dollars an hour raise in 23 yrs.Less than .50 a year.I havent even accounted for the work rule changes.I will not be the cause of my professions downward spiral.In my heart I can't vote yes.I also feel this wont be the end when it is voted down.There will be another deal,either from the company ,or by the judge.The Sun will rise after the vote,this I know for sure. See you on the other side.

It seems like the NO voters are playing Russian roulette with 3 cartridges in the chamber . Best of luck to all......we're going to need it !

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/16/2002 7:58:17 AM oldcrow wrote:

It seems like the "NO" voters are playing Russian roulette with 3 cartridges in the chamber . Best of luck to all......we're going to need it !
----------------
[/blockquote]
More like 5....or even 6

at least some have the balls to play. And yes there is life after Usairways.

Chip;
In all fairness you would have to include SWA. SWA pays well but still has low costs.
Sure the buying habits have changed but low cost is not always the answer- look at K-Mart and TSS. Macy's is still there. How long do you think that business travelers, when they return, will be satisfied cooped up in coach with a bag of peanuts on a three hour ride? Back in 1982, the predictions were that all the majors would be gone; New York Air, Capitol, Air Florida and Laker were taking over. They are all gone, along with the weaker majors. We heard all this sophisticated BS before. One thing that is likely is the industry will continue to consolidate; Just like the Steel, the RR, automobile and oil industries. Right now there is too much capacity, how would pay cuts for the next six years fix that? Next year they could be booming again. History is on my side. Yea, yea, this is unique. Funny the experts said that we would not see any more recessions because of the New Economy-same term they used in the 1920s- but where are we now? In a recession. 9-11 Nope, the economy was already in a tailspin, the total number of passenger in all 4 planes would not fill one 767-300. Turns out it was all irrational exhuberence pumped up with the lies and accounting tricks from the same type of people that you expect the mechanics to trust now. Recessions end eventually, and boom times will come back. Do the airlines have to adjust? Yes of course they do. But to bind the workers into a 6 year concessionary contract is too inflexible and not in the mechanics best interests. The next expansion could easily come and go before they get to negotiate a new contract. Recessions usually only last a couple of years; we are two years into this one. A long-term concessionary deal is a bad move.

Good luck to my Brothers at USAIR tomorrow, whatever you decide. You have made the rest of us proud!