Mechanic Openings?

blacksab1

Mar 23, 2008
I'm an 18 year experienced A&P/Avionics tech with a major airline and have been trying to get an interview with FedEx. I have applied for many openings over the last 2 years online and have yet to get a response. I noticed they posted a Memphis position this week.(Which I applied for). Does anyone know how many techs FedEx will be hiring this year? Whats the secert to getting to an interview? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm an 18 year experienced A&P/Avionics tech with a major airline and have been trying to get an interview with FedEx. I have applied for many openings over the last 2 years online and have yet to get a response. I noticed they posted a Memphis position this week.(Which I applied for). Does anyone know how many techs FedEx will be hiring this year? Whats the secert to getting to an interview? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.
What airline and when?

If you don't get an answer then you will have your answer..

I have been employeed by America West Airlines since July of 1990....Since the merger we are now called "USAirways". I guess you are saying that no reply from FedEx is all I can expect? I am disappointed that I didnt even receive a "no thanks" letter especially after some of the openings had me overnight my resume to FedEx at my expense. Of course, I will continue to apply hoping for my chance.

I forgot to add my experience to the last post. I am a Lead Mechanic with A&P and Avionics experience on B747's, B757's, B737's, Airbus A319/A320's, EMB 190's, DHC-8's and some experience with 727's, DC-9's and MD-80's on contracts with other carriers. I have also previously held a QC Inspector position and am a Run/Taxi instructor. Maybe someone can tell me what FedEx doesnt see in my experience to grant me an interview?

I forgot to add my experience to the last post. I am a Lead Mechanic with A&P and Avionics experience on B747's, B757's, B737's, Airbus A319/A320's, EMB 190's, DHC-8's and some experience with 727's, DC-9's and MD-80's on contracts with other carriers. I have also previously held a QC Inspector position and am a Run/Taxi instructor. Maybe someone can tell me what FedEx doesnt see in my experience to grant me an interview?

I have heard that same complaint from other guys who have applied. I don't know why some get the reject letter and some do not. I would guess that the competition is still pretty fierce applying from the outside or external candidates. I think you have all the experience they would want. But one thing I do know is that when you register with the online website and do the questionare answer all questions that you are the best..i.e. typing skills with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent answer 5 even if you don't type real well. The computer kicks a lot out . First get the interview then you can show them what you know.. Also as hard a road as it is getting another job internally like throwing boxes for a yr puts you ahead of applicants from the outside..A lot of NWA guys came in this way. Also if throwing boxes inn't you style and need full time the other route I would suggest would be to apply for a planner position which a lot of times goes to the street it is salary and you would have to go to MEM but it starts at about 5000/mo. Sometimes the Maint Control jobs also go to the street but not as much as the planner ones do and they start at around 6300/mo. But look for some planner positions to come out soon. It also helps to know someone also but I guess you might have guessed that. If you do get a planner job they will hold you anywhere from 18 to 24 months before you could bid on a line or hanger job..Hope this helps..Good Luck.. :up:

I have heard that same complaint from other guys who have applied. I don't know why some get the reject letter and some do not. I would guess that the competition is still pretty fierce applying from the outside or external candidates. I think you have all the experience they would want. But one thing I do know is that when you register with the online website and do the questionare answer all questions that you are the best..i.e. typing skills with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent answer 5 even if you don't type real well. The computer kicks a lot out . First get the interview then you can show them what you know.. Also as hard a road as it is getting another job internally like throwing boxes for a yr puts you ahead of applicants from the outside..A lot of NWA guys came in this way. Also if throwing boxes inn't you style and need full time the other route I would suggest would be to apply for a planner position which a lot of times goes to the street it is salary and you would have to go to MEM but it starts at about 5000/mo. Sometimes the Maint Control jobs also go to the street but not as much as the planner ones do and they start at around 6300/mo. But look for some planner positions to come out soon. It also helps to know someone also but I guess you might have guessed that. If you do get a planner job they will hold you anywhere from 18 to 24 months before you could bid on a line or hanger job..Hope this helps..Good Luck.. :up:

Thanks for the info Lineguy....I will consider a planner position if an opening comes up.....

lineguy43 is right. If you can gain any Fed Ex express permanent pt positon in the cargo dept and do your time -usually a year. You can bid mech jobs and be ahead of EVERYONE on the outside. The jobs post internal first. Its almost automatic if you qualify that you get a mech job.
I was one of those NWA guys who did it. Every one I know (NWA guys) who did this route gained a mech/tech position at BIG PURPLE.
I'm sooooo glad to be away from the instability of PAX airlines.....peace and security at last. I should have done this 12 yrs ago instead of NORTHWORST aka SCABair !!!!!!!!!
If you need some help, just e-mail me later.....

How often are positions posted internally? I rarely see any postings on the fedex website. I would like to get into EWR....somehow.

How often are positions posted internally? I rarely see any postings on the fedex website. I would like to get into EWR....somehow.

Internal openings happen often..But not too many hit the street which are the ones that would be on the website. However, if EWR is where you want to go you have a better chance than other locations.. I know a couple of NW mechanics who worked in EWR then went to CO after the strike and are now at FedEx. EWR is a service station for FedEx so they have more mx there to do more assigned work. The main places that would have the most turnover tend to go to the street like LAX, OAK, EWR and they pretty much are not going to hire external at those places unless they are locals.. So if you live in the EWR area you have a fair chance to get hired if your qualifications are good. Those jobs generally post as Sr tech which would be 42 months minimum of heavy jet or like type equipment.

Thanks for the reply.
Are kinko's employees eligible for mx transfers? Also I guess minimum time before transfer is 1 yr?

Thanks for the reply.
Are kinko's employees eligible for mx transfers? Also I guess minimum time before transfer is 1 yr?

No, I'm pretty sure Kinko employees "cannot" transfer. You have to be employed with Fed Ex Express in a part time or full time capacity....not Fed Ex freight, ground or any other subsidaries.

Transfer time is generally a year from when hired.

No, I'm pretty sure Kinko employees "cannot" transfer. You have to be employed with Fed Ex Express in a part time or full time capacity....not Fed Ex freight, ground or any other subsidaries.

Transfer time is generally a year from when hired.

That would be correct...FedEx Express is where you need to be to move internal.

Have you tried brown? WIthin the last year we have hired in abot 5 techs in EWR. Usually get hired there and bid to Louisville.