MIA-FRA

CLT-FRA existed long before US joined Star, and, of course, US was never invited to share revenues/profits in the TATL joint venture. If CLT continues to attract lots of middle-management Americans who work for the big German companies in the Carolinas, then I see new AA keeping one CLT-FRA frequency year-round. Why focus on whether those business travelers are middle-manager Americans? Because if the traffic on that route were heavily skewed toward German-based top exectives of those companies, then I think LH would already be flying FRA-CLT, like it does MUC-CLT. And as nice as they are, US+AA will never out-class LH, so if enough of the high-yielding traffic between CLT and FRA were those German execs, then LH could begin FRA-CLT and chase off US. Connections at CLT? German executives could always interline at CLT to get to the smaller places in the Carolinas if necessary. What matters are the longer TATL flights, where they probably prefer LH.

I also see new AA keeping some FRA flights from its big hubs, much like DL does, flying to FRA from DTW, JFK and ATL. FRA is a big business center in a huge economic powerhouse, and both AA and DL will have some traffic to Germany.

a 777 is way too much airplane to start a new route competing against LH.

remember that AA has flown CDG-MIA for years and, IIRC, it is still a 767. AA's position in the CDG market is far stronger than AA/US in Germany. in fact, most of AA's continental European schedule is 767s.

but I do agree with FWAAA that new AA can use the US merger to develop a stronger presence in FRA and other major continental European markets where AA's difficulty in establishing itself goes back decades.

once again, though, US priced very low in a number of continental European markets compared to what other carriers and LH did - which is not only why they weren't welcome in the Star JV but also the only way they could compete as a small network carrier.

what US did in a lot of markets cannot be reflective of what AA wants to do if they want to make money. the 332 after cabin standardization will be a good airplane for larger European markets.

Reactions: 1 person
LH use to fly CLT-FRA and exited the market as they couldn't compete and this was before US was in star.

LH flew a 747C FRA,CLT,IAH,CLT,FRA.

A 777 on the third busiest local market between the United States and Germany is not too much plane.

MIA-MAD/CDG/BCN are all going to be switching to 772s. Madrid switches first in December. 

MAH4546 said:
A 777 on the third busiest local market between the United States and Germany is not too much plane.

MIA-MAD/CDG/BCN are all going to be switching to 772s. Madrid switches first in December.
Awesome I see CDG is going to the new configuration 763 in a few weeks too. MAD hasn't been a 772 since late 2008/early 2009. I'm hoping SCL gets upgauged especially now that th LOPA is more appropriate for the market.

Josh

a 280 seat 777 on any new route is a risk compared to other aircraft which are smaller but....

thanks for the update on the upgrades but what routes on AA's network are being downgraded to free up the aircraft?

with new planes coming online almost monthly or weekly  they should not need to down grade equip to free up planes  or if the original route was seasonal that can explain

then planes are being parked, robbed.

and I don't think, but I may be wrong, that there are any current retirements of AA's int'l widebodys over the next couple months.

I'll wait to hear MAH's answer.

AA is and has been far stronger to LHR and it is a JV partner hub. FRA is not.

and starting a new route with a 280+ seat airplane increases the risk and decreases the ability to push for yield which is traditionally low when a route is started.

perhaps you CAN jump in and tell us what AA is cutting to supply these 777s.

WorldTraveler said:
AA is and has been far stronger to LHR and it is a JV partner hub. FRA is not.and starting a new route with a 280+ seat airplane increases the risk and decreases the ability to push for yield which is traditionally low when a route is started.perhaps you CAN jump in and tell us what AA is cutting to supply these 777s.
WT new 77Ws are arriving which are freeing up 772s and the first 788 will be delivered by year end. The standalone USAIR plan was to have their 762s gone and replaced with 332s by now but the 762s (however abysmal they are) aparently are staying around to facilitie the763 and 772 CIPs.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:
so we have a bunch of upgrades while 763s and 772s go in for cabin refurbs?
Also domestic wide body flying is down considerably at the present time. Onky 1x 763 and 1x 772 MIA-LAX (has been as many as 5x before)

No JFK-SAN, MIA-SFO, or BOS-LAX all markets that regularly see 763s.

Josh

in fact, AA's published schedule between now and April 2015 is down in every month.

if they are upgrading a few flights in one place, they aren't doing it across the board or it is coming from someplace else.

MIA-MXP, BCN, CDG, and MAD are all still loaded with 767s.

the biggest cuts that are coming to AA's European schedule are coming at JFK where AA and LH both have double digit cuts in their capacity which is being replaced by other airlines including DL in a market where overall capacity is flat.