AA to expand domestic flying out of MIA

WorldTraveler said:
there are a half dozen routes that DL could add at MIA that are from cities where DL has more than a strong enough following to justify additional flights.
Which ones?

And if they're so (potentially) lucrative, why are they not being flown already?

Reactions: 2 people
where did I say lucrative?

like AA's SLC-MIA they could be just barely profitable but just enough profitable to justify the costs.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at AA's top markets from MIA and figure out which ones have the potential to be just as valid for DL as MIA-SLC is for AA.

Okay, how about:

"will cover DOC's?"

or

"not absolute drains on the system?"

or

"might lose money on a segment basis, but overall owould be a plus on a system-wide level?"

or whatever description you had in mind when you wrote that.

So again, why isn't DL flying them already?

Reactions: 1 person
precisely.

DL could add a half dozen routes that cover DOC costs, add even more than really are profitable on a fully allocated cost basis, and certainly could contribute to the latter... good for you for seeing the difference.

and, I fully expect that AA is approaching MIA-SLC on the basis of 1 and 3, not on the basis of being profitable on a standalone basis.

Hub raiding strategies often can be justified that way and Parker and co. was famous for doing it at US.

Surprisingly, he still argued that US was too small to compete with the big 3.

WorldTraveler said:
DL could add a half dozen routes that cover DOC costs, add even more than really are profitable on a fully allocated cost basis, and certainly could contribute to the latter... good for you for seeing the difference.
You seem surprised.

Nevertheless; what markets did you have in mind when you originally wrote that?

Reactions: 1 person
I've mentioned LAX and BOS multiple times. those are just starters.

Closer to S. Florida, draw a circle 1000 miles from MIA and use even a CR9 and you have a lot of territory that isn't that hard for DL to pry its way into.

Take the 319 and draw a 6 hour circle around it and you include major chunks of AA's Latin America system.

All are large markets, many have or are getting low fare competition which makes it even easier for another legacy carrier to get into the market while allowing the LCC to stimulate it, and all have enormous strategic impact to AA.

remember that DL just started flying LGA-MIA 2 years ago and DL already has 40% or so of the local market.
LGA-MIA is one of AA's largest markets on its system.

those who talk about how superior AA's route system is never quite seem to understand that it is far easier for another carrier to enter a large, major market than it is for a carrier to enter a medium sized market.

DL already serves MIA-LAX, one daily 738. Hardly competive against 7x+ AA 763/777 in the market. And the product on the DL flight is far inferior to AA.

BOS? Would love to see it happen but DL has largely abandoned BOS-Florida flying (ex-MCO and a few seasonal frequencies) since 2010. Again AA has 7x MIA-BOS how will 2x 319 be competitive?

Josh

I may be mistaken, but I thought this thread was about AA starting several new routes from MIA. So how come so many posts are discussing Delta Air Lines?

Reactions: 5 people
DL threw a bunch of RJs into Florida point to point flying because they had them.

DL could just as easily put some much nicer RJs into other markets where they would matter.

Finding 60 people to get on a flight from many key markets within 3 hours of MIA is really not that hard to do.

DL also could easily add several more LAX-MIA flights if they decided it was a market worth going after.

WorldTraveler said:
DL could add a half dozen routes that cover DOC costs, add even more than really are profitable on a fully allocated cost basis, and certainly could contribute to the latter...
I'm still waiting for the list of markets that apply here, and why DL isn't already flying them.

DL spent a bunch of money building the SkyClub in Concourse H  back in 2008/2009 and is already gutting the whole place and renovating it.  Makes no sense to me, especially when so many of the PM-NW clubs haven't been renovated to the DL style.

Josh

737823 said:
DL spent a bunch of money building the SkyClub in Concourse H  back in 2008/2009 and is already gutting the whole place and renovating it.  Makes no sense to me, especially when so many of the PM-NW clubs haven't been renovated to the DL style.

Josh

It makes sense when you consider it's not just a SkyClub, but the lounge for most Skyteam partners at MIA - Alitalia, Aeroflot, Air France, AeroMexico, Air Europa, Aerolineas Argentinas (although off the top of my head I don't know which of those share the Concourse H/J with Delta, most do I think) - so it's just as important as a long-haul lounge as it is a domestic lounge. It needs to be invested in. 

WorldTraveler said:
DL threw a bunch of RJs into Florida point to point flying because they had them.

DL could just as easily put some much nicer RJs into other markets where they would matter.

Finding 60 people to get on a flight from many key markets within 3 hours of MIA is really not that hard to do.

DL also could easily add several more LAX-MIA flights if they decided it was a market worth going after.

So what the hell is Delta waiting for? You've been saying this for 8+ years and nothing has happened!

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts