My day in Tempe

LCC_#1

Veteran
Nov 16, 2005
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am back in my fabulous...ok adequate...hotel on my layover in Tempe and would like to share my day.

Since I very rarely make it out here, I decided to venture over to the Sandcastle (affectionately named by some) aka HQ to check things out.

I would like to say that the "new" headquarters is a welcome change from the staunch, stuffy atmosphere and the 700 or so ceo wannabees that use to be at CCY. "Old" headquarters was very uninviting and a part of hundreds of other businesses in Crystal City. When you step into the courtyard entrance of the Tempe HQ, you know who the place belongs to...one tenant...one owner...US Airways. AND, US Airways is displayed everywhere (besides old AWA ID's which are changing as we speak).

Now I know I am here on casual Friday, but the young men and women I encountered were friendly, enthusiastic, and layed back. And might I just add that there was ALOT of eye candy. Kind of makes me want to work there. :wub: From the front desk security to the recruitment office to the company store, everyone was warm and friendly and not a soul had a harsh thing to say.

I even stopped by the place where uniforms are tailored...I know, shocking. :shock: I spoke to a sweet lady, Dianne, who allowed me to see the uniforms the West wears and quality. She introduced me to Joanne, who has a little say with regards to uniforms and was informed that marketing has taken a role in uniforms and they HAVE gotten the message that we want quality, some color, and something to be proud to wear and to be proud of when sitting in a van with other crew members. She said to tell everyone to keep emailing [email protected]. They ARE listening. They are back to the drawing board and admit to thinking too much.

After leaving the HQ, I walk up the street where there was a music/street festival. Lots of fun and lots to do without the festival. You are right at the campus of ASU (more eye candy) and lots of food and shopping.

I went back to the hotel feeling an element of pride that I never felt before and a true belief that we are in good hands. Even the airport terminals are feeling more like the new US Airways. There were about 5 or 6 ac with the new ac colors when I arrived and there is increasing new look signage everywhere. Yes, there will be glitches and God knows not everyone will be happy, but I feel it is time for all of us Easties to truly give our leaders in Tempe a chance to do their thing. If the pride they have in their HQ is ANY indication to what they have planned for the new US Airways, we will be just fine.

In a word, the HQ AND Tempe experience was REFRESHING!!. If you are on a layover, the van will drop you off and pick you up. Oh btw, the company store rocks and has alot of good stuff.

I really feel you will walk away encourage, enthusiastic, and proud. No kool-aid here, just an observation. ;) :)

i have been there. like you said lcc ,it's very refreshing. i also took time to visit the flight center. the instructors there were awesome. they even gave me a tour of the soc. i spoke to the schedulers the dispatchers . even met some pilots in the sims. they were very happy to see an "east " employee there. the instructor who gave me the tour was mindy. she is a little hottie. very spunky. all in all i had a good and informative time there. and your right there is alot of eye candy there . especially at asu. those girls were driving me crazy.

I had four days in Tempe this month.

Also went to the "new" HQ and was also impressed by the friendly, hospitable atmosphere. Bought some stuff at the company store. They have really cheap M&M's there and sell See's candy too!

Also enjoyed the eye candy in Tempe. Blast from the past being on a college campus, but the students are a lot younger than when I went to school...

Didn't rest very well at the layover hotel of choice. Train whistles blaring at 0230 and beyond don't make for a very good nights crew rest.

Our crew agreed we would all rather be at the previous long layover hotel and location. Now that was a comfortable bed!

If you want to go to Scottsdale, just catch the number 72 Bus either on campus or at Rural and Apache. Took about 45 minutes in rush hour to get there.

I would like to extend a sincere invitation to anyone on a layover from a Friday to Sunday for a trip on my boat out to one of the beautiful lakes surrounding Phoenix. I have a Skeeter 18ft that I can take two plus myself. Possibly 3 plus myself if fishing is not involved. Just PM me in advance so I can set things up. This is provided I'm not fishing a tournament on that given weekend. Like to show ya some southern hospitality out here in cowboy land. :up:

That sounds awesome. They are really doing alot of things right, and it would seem to me if the heart is positive and welcoming that should hopefully spread to the rest of the body.

well i will be in phx the whole day on the 11th then work the redeye back to the east. i get in on the 10th. i might go to the the flight center to visit my fiend who is in f/a training

That sounds awesome. They are really doing alot of things right, and it would seem to me if the heart is positive and welcoming that should hopefully spread to the rest of the body.

I'm actually going to head out there to take a look in a few weeks. I want to check out the area and see if I want to make to make a little change. Glad to hear it's so close to ASU. As a person who is just 6 months out of college that is very good news! :up:

I'm actually going to head out there to take a look in a few weeks. I want to check out the area and see if I want to make to make a little change. Glad to hear it's so close to ASU. As a person who is just 6 months out of college that is very good news! :up:

jonnyd

You are literally at the campus. You can see Sun Devils Stadium from HQ and the area behind the HQ is very cute with lots of shopping and food esablishments. Even a Hooters :blink: and the ASU bookstore is in that area. Only downside? Lot's of traffic, but that's life in a large city.

well i will be in phx the whole day on the 11th then work the redeye back to the east. i get in on the 10th. i might go to the the flight center to visit my fiend who is in f/a training

etops1 and f/a training girl, sittin in a tree
....well, you get it you old horn dog!! :p :lol:

You shoulda let me know you were gonna be there, I'd buy you a guiness at Rula Bula

Darn, maybe next time. thanks

Forget Hooters, there are wet t shirt thursdays in a bar located in a office/restaurant complex across the street. :up: :p B)

etops1 and f/a training girl, sittin in a tree
....well, you get it you old horn dog!!
it's definately not like that. plus, i am married.

Forget Hooters, there are wet t shirt thursdays in a bar located in a office/restaurant complex across the street. :up: :p B)

A few years back on a long layover I went to a place off of Mill Ave. called The Library. It was quite an experience what with the girls dacing on the Bar and the outside air temp about 115.

See if that place is still around especially just prior to an ASU game.

Mtnman

You had better stop by the "high b" concourse and say hello!!!