Petition to keep US Airways Headquarters in Tempe

I know you do, but many want to place blaim on Parker and HP for the demise of PIT. I won't argue that he wasn't around in the end, but the wheels were already in motion when the merger took place. I think that it was/is a great facility, and wish that it was still what it once was.

Don't know if this was to me but if it was, read on, otherwise disregard...

CEOs much like presidents, kings and pontifs get blamed for anything that goes wrong during their reign, regardless what or how things happened to lead to the outcome. In SYR the big gripe is over Las Vegas more than PIT, as far as I can determine. To them, LAS(?) was an easy bread and butter profit for US. Not so? Tell them that. From what I understand about PIT, Pittsburgh had spent millions on renovation for US to stay there, only to see them go BK, 2 times on them.

Unfortunately, PIT is surrounded by more profitable centralized locations such as Buffalo and Cleveland to name a few, in my opinion. And lets not forget that populations are shifting, and if PIT is a great retirement community, well trhen air travel is less or seasonable, imo.

Nothing is totally safe, but I would bet (in the event of a merger) anyone who wants to live in base for an entire career could feel reasonable safe near DFW, CLT, MIA, ORD, and maybe LAX. Everything else could go away within a decade (crew base and hub-wise.).................
Putting CLT in the same category as the other 4 could be Very risky. If it comes down to Either CLT or MIA (as Hubs), I doubt very much CLT would be the choice - from an economic standpoint. Obscenely low airport fees, a windfall for US, will only take them so far with a huge new AA. Counting on CLT to survive as a domestic east-west-middle SE connecting point is probably a good bet though. How well this plays out (for CLT) probably will have a lot to do with how the JFK/PHL relationship is defined - i.e., if PHL retains/grows its international routes because of limited JFK slot availabilty (the current situation), then significant E-W-N-S domestic feeds (to PHL) will be required, otherwise CLT would seem to be a better choice - because of its location.

Don't know if this was to me but if it was, read on, otherwise disregard...

CEOs much like presidents, kings and pontifs get blamed for anything that goes wrong during their reign, regardless what or how things happened to lead to the outcome. In SYR the big gripe is over Las Vegas more than PIT, as far as I can determine. To them, LAS(?) was an easy bread and butter profit for US. Not so? Tell them that. From what I understand about PIT, Pittsburgh had spent millions on renovation for US to stay there, only to see them go BK, 2 times on them.

Unfortunately, PIT is surrounded by more profitable centralized locations such as Buffalo and Cleveland to name a few, in my opinion. And lets not forget that populations are shifting, and if PIT is a great retirement community, well trhen air travel is less or seasonable, imo.

LAS was a victim of a huge downturn in the local economy, as well as a drop in leisure travel to the area. An attempt to stimulate traffic with low fares led to big losses. The merged airline gave management the opportunity to deploy the flying to more profitable markets, and they did so. Had HP not merged with US, there is no telling what other actions they may have taken to cut their loss.

Reactions: 1 person
Putting CLT in the same category as the other 4 could be Very risky. If it comes down to Either CLT or MIA (as Hubs), I doubt very much CLT would be the choice - from an economic standpoint. Obscenely low airport fees, a windfall for US, will only take them so far with a huge new AA. Counting on CLT to survive as a domestic east-west-middle SE connecting point is probably a good bet though. How well this plays out (for CLT) probably will have a lot to do with how the JFK/PHL relationship is defined - i.e., if PHL retains/grows its international routes because of limited JFK slot availabilty (the current situation), then significant E-W-N-S domestic feeds (to PHL) will be required, otherwise CLT would seem to be a better choice - because of its location.

American would have a Raleigh-Durham hub today if it weren't for the US CLT hub. There wasn't room for two, and CLT was better entrenched with better facilities. The distance between ORD and DFW is only about 800 miles. CLT-MIA is about 650...very similar. Do you think AA sees their two midwest hubs as competing with one another for survival?

More like the closet.
American would have a Raleigh-Durham hub today if it weren't for the US CLT hub. There wasn't room for two, and CLT was better entrenched with better facilities. The distance between ORD and DFW is only about 800 miles. CLT-MIA is about 650...very similar. Do you think AA sees their two midwest hubs as competing with one another for survival?

CLT will do nothing but grow if this happens. It is the best counter balance to DL in ATL. No Executive in their right mind would give up on an Airport where costs are low and is willing to build whatever you want. New Intl Terminal etc.

Agreed about CLT. I also feel that PHL & JFK can coexist even though they are close to each other. The draw off different traffic bases, and don't compete with each other for passengers.

Latest posts