New Attendance program

In order to do this you had to check the box which states that you
"undestood this policy". You could not complete this obligation without claiming that
you understood it. I undertand it allright ....as a clear violation of our contract.

Thanks BF

BF I agree with you completely. Then they want us to have Q&A sessions with the managers after we complete our iLearning course if we have any questions regarding this new policy.

let's not confuse taking FMLA the same as taking a throw down sick day when you are not really sick. the people that do this ( and its more than a just a few ) feel its their right and they want a day off with pay & still keep their vacation time. the bigger the company, the more people do it. no matter how unethical it is. It cost companies lots of cash, so of course you should expect a company to crack down on the practice. and when you have unions involved. the policy has to be generic so that it is difficult for a company to signal out a few abusers. makes it a challenge to get under control. In the Ideal world folks show up for work every day and on time like they promised to do when they were hired and none of this would be an issue. I've never paid attention to my company's attendance policy because it's never been an issue for me. I am always there when i'm supposed to be

let's not confuse taking FMLA the same as taking a throw down sick day when you are not really sick. the people that do this ( and its more than a just a few ) feel its their right and they want a day off with pay & still keep their vacation time. the bigger the company, the more people do it. no matter how unethical it is. It cost companies lots of cash, so of course you should expect a company to crack down on the practice. and when you have unions involved. the policy has to be generic so that it is difficult for a company to signal out a few abusers. makes it a challenge to get under control. In the Ideal world folks show up for work every day and on time like they promised to do when they were hired and none of this would be an issue. I've never paid attention to my company's attendance policy because it's never been an issue for me. I am always there when i'm supposed to be
The point is this should be a negotiated item. If the company came up with
a clever way to catch the irresp;onsib le ones then they deserve to save money.
This is not clever nor IMO is it within our CBA. It has to be negotiated.
For instance if they want to do this then there has to be a dividend for FS
like full Vacation pay or a wage increase or five sations off the outsource
list.

The point is this should be a negotiated item. If the company came up with
a clever way to catch the irresponsible ones then they deserve to save money.
This is not clever nor IMO is it within our CBA. It has to be negotiated.
For instance if they want to do this then there has to be a dividend for FS
like full Vacation pay or a wage increase or five sations off the outsource
list.

Your point that it is hard for the company to enforce any sick policy is well
taken. However to not understand that this is an integral part of any CBA
is I think' short sighted.

ATTENTION WEST EMPLOYEES

13. Article 13 (Sick Leave) Will apply to West Employees on 1/1/2009. In addition, any remaining unused sick leave days from the Employee’s sick leave bank that were rolled over on January 1, 2007 and all unused sick days accrued in 2007 and 2008 by West Employee will be placed into the Employee’s sick leave bank.

Effective on OEI amend CBA as follows:

· Modify paragraph B so that the first three (3) days of each occurrence will be paid at fifty –percent (50%) and decremented at fifty-percent (50%) rate.

· Employees who have one hundred (100) or more days in their sick leave bank on the date of the sick leave occurrence will be paid one-hundred percent (100%) and one-hundred percent (100%) deducted from their sick bank.

· Employees hospitalized overnight within the first three (3) days of any occurrence will have applicable sick leave days paid at one-hundred percent (100%).

Even if the attendance policy sticks, the west employees should not be under until January 1, 2009.

P. Rez

This attedance policy sucks doney :censored: ... we only get HALF of our pay if we call in sick for the first 3 days , EACH TIME WE CALL IN SICK!!!

Outrageous that they would even DARE to modify the sick policy even MORE to their benfit!!! we let you continue to have a sick policy that was negoatiated in BK!!! and now that's not GOOD enough for you ? kiss it !!! i say take them to court , aka arbitration and just watch how fast the arbiter finds in our favor!!!

Dear arbiter , our company is trying to make the sick policy even more oprressive than it already is

Arbiter : what do you mean ?

well dude , look if we actually do get sick and have to use one of our sick days , until we have 100 days saved up (one third of a freaking year! ) we only get paid 50% of our sick day for the first three days . then on top of that their going to ding us AGAIN by adding points to our disclipnary record , so not only are we sick , BUT we're getting in trouble merely for being sick and using what little and i stress here little sick pay and days we have !....

Arbiter : go on

Did you know we can sometimes work in subzero tempeatures all the way to temps over 130 degrees ? our work is physical and sometimes very demanding .....so it's only reasonable to assume that when compared to say an indoor work group in a climate controlled enviroment we're bound to get sick more than others , we work in the rain , in the sleet , in the snow .... in the summer and in the summer storms ....

so on and so forth as we kick the companies arse in the aribters room .... case closed ....

This attedance policy sucks doney :censored: ... we only get HALF of our pay if we call in sick for the first 3 days , EACH TIME WE CALL IN SICK!!!

Freedumb,

That policy was in the POS agreement that you VOTED FOR! You can't cry foul now. If you did not like it then why did you vote yes? Oh, that's right you sold your soul, and the 19 field stations for your three pieces of silver. How are you liking the agreement now? Scratch that, wait until you have to pay the higher insurance premiums. As far as the sick policy goes, it flat out sucks. I will leave it in the hands of the New Direction team to handle it approriately. Until then, there is not much I can do but deal with it for now. Next time we vote on something, read it in it's entirety before you decide, because it not only effects everyone, but you as well. So I suggest that you deal with it.

Freedumb,

That policy was in the POS agreement that you VOTED FOR! You can't cry foul now. If you did not like it then why did you vote yes? Oh, that's right you sold your soul, and the 19 field stations for your three pieces of silver. How are you liking the agreement now? Scratch that, wait until you have to pay the higher insurance premiums. As far as the sick policy goes, it flat out sucks. I will leave it in the hands of the New Direction team to handle it approriately. Until then, there is not much I can do but deal with it for now. Next time we vote on something, read it in it's entirety before you decide, because it not only effects everyone, but you as well. So I suggest that you deal with it.

dear pjidit ...

i KNEW that we would only get half pay for the first three days in which we called in sick , if you had BOTHERED to read my post , you would have understood that i'm stating the fact that our SICK policy already sucks , and NOW the company is darining to make it WORSE ...

Oh and about the whole sold my soul B.S ... you STILL don't get it do you ? look at the us economy , i can't remember were you one of the many who wanted to wait until dec 31st 2009 ? oh well , thank goodness we voted this in , to pharpahse you " i suggest that you deal with it "

Even if the attendance policy sticks, the west employees should not be under until January 1, 2009.

P. Rez

Rez

The language of sick pay will stick because it was voted on. The change in the system for discipline is definitely in question.

My suggestion is for you to try and get the players together that were in the meeting where by you tried to get the point sys established a while back and present this to the ND08. If the company established the fact that a sys cannot be changed except thru negotiation ( ie sec 6 ) then why is it different at this point. ND08 I think needs this info/persons in case it is arbitrated.

Mike

There may be far more involved in this then has been said. Let me make it clear that I do not fully understand this, but this is an abbreviated description of how it was explained to me. This is NOT a Section 6 item. It's a Section 156 or something. That section deals with a change in policy, not in the CBA. Is attendance discipline spelled out in the CBA? I doubt it. One could argue that it doens't matter, but from what I'm hearing (from folks that I trust) it does matter. Basically because this is a change in POLICY, the Company must notify the Union, which then has 30 days to challenge it through the NMB. The Company, playing by the rules, has done their part; the IAM has not yet that I'm aware of, dunno about the CBA. File your grievances, I'll probalby be filing one as well. Know this, however. Your grievance may be legitimatly denied.

We need the IAM and CBA to notify the NMB TOMORROW that they strongly object to this policy change. Furthermore, I believe it should be know that the Company did not provide notice of the policy change to the Union. In my humble (and labor uneducated) opinion by providing training and stating it as fact prior to the 30 day period the Company has made the policy official, just not in effect yet. This to me is a direct violation of the notice requirement.

Ahhh...

How many points is it... if yahh call in drunk?
None, DUI DOUG could of answered that, but he's too busy trying to push the attendance points system. Go figure? Who reprimands them when they screw up? That's right they get a bonus to keep the team!

Next week on both of my days off, I'm going to call in sick just to see how many points I'm awarded!

Rogue

for the fleet side rest assured. YOUR UNION is on this like to paraphrase Nelson "2 coats of paint"

some very smart people are working on this as we speak..

sidnote: to all the young pups new to unions .. NEXT time your brothers and sisters tell you we need BETTER

Scope and Language . this is exactly what we are talking about. Yea the 3 pieces of silver are good for now

but won't help you when your points expire and are on the street because the company decides it wants

to change the rules mid stream..

NOW go to bed and repeat after me. SCOPE and LANGUAGE SCOPE and LANGUAGE

SCOPE and LANGUAGE

Latest posts

Back