New Director of Inflight for PHX

Jetsetter2Ord

Senior
Sep 1, 2005
On a Jetplane
Visit site
Brenda Van Sandt Named New Phoenix Director Inflight Services

On November 27, 2009, Hector Adler, Vice President Inflight Services announced the new Director of Inflight for the Phoenix base. Brenda Van Sandt will be joining the Inflight Services team managing the Phoenix base effective December 1, 2009.

In a letter sent out by Adler, "Brenda Van Sandt brings over 25 years of airline industry experience, including, most recently, as Managing Director, Operations and Administration for Northwest Airlines. She began her career in the airline industry as a flight attendant with Hughes Air West and continued in that role through the merger with Republic Airlines and subsequently Northwest.

Brenda brings a wide portfolio of experience in Inflight Operations, leadership, training, employee relations, quality assurance and regulatory compliance. Brenda was a union official for five years prior to rising through the management ranks. Her supportive and mentoring approach combined with a keen focus on processes, standards, and customer service have earned her the respect of everyone she has worked with over the years in various roles."

Brenda earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. She also holds certifications in management training and development.Van Sandt's responsibilities will include Base Operations in Phoenix, and she will report to Wendy Stockton, Managing Director, Inflight Services.

Brenda Van Sandt Named New Phoenix Director Inflight Services

On November 27, 2009, Hector Adler, Vice President Inflight Services announced the new Director of Inflight for the Phoenix base. Brenda Van Sandt will be joining the Inflight Services team managing the Phoenix base effective December 1, 2009.

In a letter sent out by Adler, "Brenda Van Sandt brings over 25 years of airline industry experience, including, most recently, as Managing Director, Operations and Administration for Northwest Airlines. She began her career in the airline industry as a flight attendant with Hughes Air West and continued in that role through the merger with Republic Airlines and subsequently Northwest.

Brenda brings a wide portfolio of experience in Inflight Operations, leadership, training, employee relations, quality assurance and regulatory compliance. Brenda was a union official for five years prior to rising through the management ranks. Her supportive and mentoring approach combined with a keen focus on processes, standards, and customer service have earned her the respect of everyone she has worked with over the years in various roles."

Brenda earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. She also holds certifications in management training and development.Van Sandt's responsibilities will include Base Operations in Phoenix, and she will report to Wendy Stockton, Managing Director, Inflight Services.

Her qualifications sound weak "Brenda earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology. She also holds certifications in management training and development." let's hope she's good at what she does .

While her academic education may sound weak for the role she's assuming, her work experience over the past 25 years or so sound good - FA, union official, various roles in lower/mid-level management. If she brings a memory of what it's like to be a FA or union official to her new job she might be a good PHX inflight director (isn't that the equivalent of the base chief pilot to the pilots?).

Jim

A college degree means that your liver lasted through four years of school. They're nice to have but in the end you have to produce. Credentials only get you so far.

Like Boeing Boy I think we should look at what she has accomplished in her work life rather then her credentials because frankly having multiple degrees and credentials out the wazoo doesn't make you a great leader or manager anymore then standing in a garage would make you a car.

To me she seems to have the "Street Cred" a job like this would require. I wish her well.

A college degree means that your liver lasted through four years of school.

Not if you went to a "study school" like I did, and spent your Friday nights in the library. (I'm still a geek. :lol: )

I agree, though, that experience and job performance count far more than one's educational pedigree once you are in the workforce. No fancy schmancy school can ever teach you how to effectively manage in a real-world scenario. I actually think that a degree in psychology would be very valuable in this role. And I suspect that someone with her background would be a far better fit for this position and do a much better job than someone with a Wharton MBA.

Latest posts