New F/A's?

Greany

Mar 10, 2006
I know that AA has been recalling former-TWA Flight Attendants and also know that quite a few still remain on furlough.

Does any one know ( I know union is trying to extend recall rights), as it stands today, how many remain furloughed? Is there any chace that we will see AA hiring F/A's "off the street" in the near future?

Thanks!

I know that AA has been recalling former-TWA Flight Attendants and also know that quite a few still remain on furlough.

Does any one know ( I know union is trying to extend recall rights), as it stands today, how many remain furloughed? Is there any chace that we will see AA hiring F/A's "off the street" in the near future

Thanks!

The faster they recall, the faster they can hire off the street. As of today, IF there are no more recalls, they can hire in July of 2008. However, if AA has an epiphany of need at that time, you'll see legal action. (again)

Does any one know ( I know union is trying to extend recall rights), as it stands today, how many remain furloughed? Is there any chace that we will see AA hiring F/A's "off the street" in the near future?

Thanks!

About 1600 remain to be recalled. Off the street in the near future, not likely under any circumstances until past July 2008.

1454 on the recall list; all ex-TWA. 410 were supposed to drop off the list on Nov 1, but the company and AA agreed to extend their recall rights two months while they discussed the issue.

A little more than 300 are due to drop off on Jan 31, 300 more on Apr 1, about 220 on May 1, and the rest on July 1. If there's another recall in the first quarter as rumored, that would take care of the July people and maybe dip into the May or Apr groups. If no agreement is reached, then the company would be free to hire off the street.

As far as litigation is concerned, no doubt someone would file a lawsuit. But that would take years to resolve. My hope is that the APFA and AA can come to some agreement about recalling the remaining furloughees. Time will tell, and we should know the outcome in a few weeks.

MK

No doubt the company would rather hire off the street and get some younger FA's, plus the fact that they'll be paid a lot less than the high pay seniority TWA FA's. My guess is AA sees no upside to bring back the TWA FA's. I expect AA to slow leak this issue into oblivion.

No doubt the company would rather hire off the street and get some younger FA's, plus the fact that they'll be paid a lot less than the high pay seniority TWA FA's. My guess is AA sees no upside to bring back the TWA FA's. I expect AA to slow leak this issue into oblivion.
The company does not care whether they are "younger" FA's. In fact they prefer hiring older F/A's, who are more reliable and will not collect retirement. The issue is always money.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='549049' date='Dec 2 2007, 12:38 PM']Bingo![/quote]

And it is hard to ignore the experience coming back to the line. Already passengers are noticing those recently recalled. My friend received a commendation (kudos) on her IOE flight. The "honeymoon" factor is in full swing. And those who have had to work without the extra "help", I hope will have the opportunity to be home with loved ones for the holidays. Maybe there will be less extending this Christmas. Garfield has been mighty quiet. How are the recalled doing with scheduling?

The company does not care whether they are "younger" FA's. In fact they prefer hiring older F/A's, who are more reliable and will not collect retirement. The issue is always money.
Good point. I cost less to train, and even if I fly ten more years I'll collect a lot less retirement than someone else with 40-45 years.

MK

Good point. I cost less to train, and even if I fly ten more years I'll collect a lot less retirement than someone else with 40-45 years.

MK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey kirkpatrick,
I know you posted some of the answers a while back, but I don't remember what you said :p , so let me ask again.
When do you take to the sky for the first time ?

If you have already, what was your first line ?

NewHampshire Black Bears said:
Hey kirkpatrick...When do you take to the sky for the first time? If you have already, what was your first line?
Bears, I don't know about his first line; but I've read about his first flight here at the 12th post by Life_Platinum and here on this Board by Mike himself (which you must have missed).

And it is hard to ignore the experience coming back to the line. Already passengers are noticing those recently recalled. My friend received a commendation (kudos) on her IOE flight. The "honeymoon" factor is in full swing. And those who have had to work without the extra "help", I hope will have the opportunity to be home with loved ones for the holidays. Maybe there will be less extending this Christmas. Garfield has been mighty quiet. How are the recalled doing with scheduling?

Thanksgiving is usually only a bump in the road and the held true this year. The only way we will know if anything worked is en Jan 5th or so rolls around and we see what happened once the dust settles.

I know some other things were done in terms of lay over times, reduction of schedules and the like. Supposedly the back end of Dec has been loaded up with AVBL and RSV's so we will see what happens. I know we ended up with so many reserves at the end of Nov it was scary. I think I heard someone say JFK had 150+ and that was after releases.

I have heard that we have 600 extra reserves for the month of Dec. If everyone of the 600 show up for work, that will offset the sick calls by about 50% which will be a big help. There will still be reassignments and I am sure a few flights will go out under staffed but it will be less tan normal. Again, that is only if the 600 are real and the 600 show up. If the sick list increases and the reserves do not show or there are not as many as we were told or if they are ot in the bases where they are needed most en it will be just lie every other christmass.

Every year I am hopeful but so for I have been disappointed each time. We will see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey kirkpatrick,
I know you posted some of the answers a while back, but I don't remember what you said :p , so let me ask again.
When do you take to the sky for the first time ?

If you have already, what was your first line ?
I was officially on the payroll on 11/13, and flew 56:22 in November; six turns to ATL, ORD and MIA, and two two-day trips; one which layed over in ORD and one in SEA. In December I'm on reserve and was called out for the JFK-LAS nonstop tomorrow, the 3rd, returning Tuesday.

My crews have been great and I'm having a wonderful time.

Thanksgiving is usually only a bump in the road and the held true this year.
I was released from AVBL days on Wednesday and on Thanksgiving, which surprised me.
I have heard that we have 600 extra reserves for the month of Dec.
LGA is bidding 209 reserves for Dec instead of the usual 170, and 96 recalls will come on line here on 12/18. That should ease the pain a little.

Do you ever work LGA?

MK

I was released from AVBL days on Wednesday and on Thanksgiving, which surprised me.

LGA is bidding 209 reserves for Dec instead of the usual 170, and 96 recalls will come on line here on 12/18. That should ease the pain a little.

Do you ever work LGA?

MK

39 extra in LGA won't make a dent in it. The 96 recalls might if no one bombs in.

I try and not work LGA. I worked it for 2 years and it was a PIA. Dealing with the new hires was strenuous. I got tired of explaining 30/7 and 7D legalities. I also got tired of explaining that EWR was indeed a airport that was part of the LGA base and that even though you don't like the fact that it is and your preference does not include EWR there are times when you do not get what you want and life really does suck. Then there were the times that I used JFK to back up LGA and got the "You do know I am Intl right? Did you use all the domestic reserves?" No, I am just calling you because I am bored and wanted to have an argument. Geez, you would have thought I burned their house down and beat their kids.

I guess LGA is not unique in that sens but they do have a special place in my heart B)