New International destinations for 2009-2010 ?

US Airways Files Application to Operate Tel Aviv Service from Philadelphia in 2009
Proposed route will be the airline’s first-ever service to the Middle East. US Airways continues its international expansion today as we apply to operate year-round service between Philadelphia and Tel Aviv, Israel. Linking the two sister cities with a daily non-stop, the service is set to begin in July 2009 and is subject to both U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and Israeli government approval.
Read more in the August 19 USNews Now

Advocating service to Poland on US is like saying you want service to Bratislava...

I DO want service to Bratislava!!! My grandmother was from Bratislava, and my great-grandparents AND great-great-great grandmother are buried in the Jewish cemetary there. :lol:

Come to think of it......no US carrier has service to BTS. They could market PHL-BTS as the "alternative airport" to VIE. Plus, Bratislava is cheap, which fits US's description, too. :lol:

Is Good News! It will require two Jets dedicated to the route. What wild flying times though, arrives at 5:15am in PHL from TLV. But that is good news!

Most of the flights to TLV are redeyes in both directions, though I believe CO does have a day-time westbound flight now that they fly 2 daily. By the time this starts, US should have a total of 3 A332s which will allow them to be used for TLV plus another route that would normally require more than 1 such as ATH or DME.

A few months back LCC applied for and recvd flt's to China. That was dropped because of fuel? Now why are they expanding to TLV? Is gas cheaper there? If they can't live up to their previous application why should the government grant this one?

Most of the flights to TLV are redeyes in both directions, though I believe CO does have a day-time westbound flight now that they fly 2 daily. By the time this starts, US should have a total of 3 A332s which will allow them to be used for TLV plus another route that would normally require more than 1 such as ATH or DME.
I thought that red-eyes only work from West to East?

A few months back LCC applied for and recvd flt's to China. That was dropped because of fuel? Now why are they expanding to TLV? Is gas cheaper there?

Parker said (if you believe anything that comes out of his mouth) that TLV will have fuel costs $10-12 million less than PEK.

I thought that red-eyes only work from West to East?

They can work both ways when the flight is 12 hours long.

I don't know everything about flight scheduling, but wouldn't it make sense to schedule it like this:

Depart PHL 3:15 pm..........Arrive TLV 9:15 am

Depart TLV 11:15 am........Arrive PHL 4:35 pm

That schedule would allow the returning A330 to fly a shorter overnight flight like London, Dublin or Paris, returning to PHL in time the next day to fly TLV. That would keep the A330s working more and would obviate the need to find a short daytime flight to fill the few hours during the day.

I don't know everything about flight scheduling, but wouldn't it make sense to schedule it like this:

That schedule would allow the returning A330 to fly a shorter overnight flight like London, Dublin or Paris, returning to PHL in time the next day to fly TLV. That would keep the A330s working more and would obviate the need to find a short daytime flight to fill the few hours during the day.

From a purely fleet scheduling standpoint, absolutely.

But the market prefers redeyes in both directions, so the high yields necessitate the plane sitting on the ground in TLV all day. All the airlines do it, unless they operate multiple frequencies. It's quite similar to the schedules used in flying to a market like GRU.

But the market prefers redeyes in both directions, so the high yields necessitate the plane sitting on the ground in TLV all day. All the airlines do it, unless they operate multiple frequencies. It's quite similar to the schedules used in flying to a market like GRU.

Could PHL-TLV be a high yield market? I was under the impression that USA - Israel flights are more of a leisure-type as oppossed to a business-type market? Anybody want to explain / correct me on this?

Here's another thought: with oil so "cheap" nowadays :lol: wouldn't it be wise for US to reconsider the suspension of their PHL-China route/flight?

Could PHL-TLV be a high yield market? I was under the impression that USA - Israel flights are more of a leisure-type as oppossed to a business-type market? Anybody want to explain / correct me on this?

It's not much of a business market, hence the small Envoy cabin. But it is a huge VFR (visiting friends and relatives) market, along with all the American Jews that want to visit Israel. And for whatever reason, those two groups are pretty price insensitive, so the coach yields are great. You're not going to see any $995 r/t sales on this route.

If I remember correctly the PHL-SJU-PHL turn departed PHL around 11am and then returned around 630pm. So there is a possibility for an SJU leg

1071 departed at 9:35a (that is if it left on time) which was only about 10% of the time. The reason they took the 330's off of it in the first place was because of the constant late departure. Ranging anywhere from an hour to 3 hours late which would result in a late 1024 IB and then cause MAN to depart late. Just not good for business. I couldn't see the company making that mistake with the 332s to be used on the TLV turn. There has to be somewhere it could go.

One would think however scheduling that way wouldn't help with the gate space issues The company seems to be scheduling a late bank (10pm) - which would include LHR, TLV, DUB, SNN and they'll probably compliment it with other cities that have odd ball time zones where it wouldn't be crazy for a flight to leave at 2200.

The 1800 bank is filled up, 2000 is pretty close, so next set would obviously be 2200. Now the arrival time is really off the wall but again it helps with the gate space. The gates are all filled or are getting filled from 1400-1630...

1071 departed at 9:35a (that is if it left on time) which was only about 10% of the time. The reason they took the 330's off of it in the first place was because of the constant late departure. Ranging anywhere from an hour to 3 hours late which would result in a late 1024 IB and then cause MAN to depart late. Just not good for business. I couldn't see the company making that mistake with the 332s to be used on the TLV turn. There has to be somewhere it could go.
LAX
PHL 18:30p
LAX 21:30p

RON

LAX 6:00a
PHL 14:00p

How about naples,no non stop service exists and many from naples settled in the northeast.Also nice in france,service to the french riviera,and prague.Just some future places I would like to non rev to!

Latest posts

Back