New International destinations for 2009-2010 ?

Doesn't CO have several banks for their flights to Europe and beyond? Next time I fly out of there I'll look the board over.

CO at EWR has a pretty steady flow of arriving TA traffic starting at 1030am through 7pm. Although they can do this because many destinations see multiple frequencies. US has some early arrivals although it seems like a majority of them are scheduled to arrive 230-4

1030-1130
4 arrivals
1130-1230
7 arrivals
1230-130
4 arrivals
130-230
9 arrivals
230-330
4 arrivals
330-430
4 arrivals
430-730
4 arrivals

Also side question, can Carribbean flights depart from a domestic gate or are they precleared as Canada Flights?

They can depart from anywhere but some destinations have to arrive into the intl gates because they aren't precleared.

Perhaps the flights to TLV will be made up of American Jews making Aliyah so they can escape unfair stereotypes they find here in the States. :unsure:

I guess I should have included a disclaimer in my post that I'm a life member of Hadassah, thanks to my grandmother's very generous gift when I was in sixth grade. :up:

And for those who do not know what "making Aliyah" is......it's basically how Jewish people "officially" refer to moving to Israel. "Aliyah" translates to "elevating," and Israel, being the Jewish homeland, is perceived as the highest spiritual form of geographical elevation. You never "go down" to Israel.....you always "go up."

And because Israel has economic incentives in place to encourage Jewish people to "make Aliyah," there is a lot of demand for travel back and forth from the large centers of Jewish population. Alot of religious Jews study in Israel for a year or more, and many others own apartments in Israel, and between them, their family and their friends, tend to travel back and forth once or twice a year.

It is really impossible to convey the spiritual tug which Israel has on American Jewry.
But from what I know of growing up as a committed (but now partially lapsed) Jew in Northeastern PA......I firmly believe that PHL-TLV will be a profitable route for US, and I give them alot of credit for implementing it (or at least taking the first steps).

CO at EWR has a pretty steady flow of arriving TA traffic starting at 1030am through 7pm. Although they can do this because many destinations see multiple frequencies. US has some early arrivals although it seems like a majority of them are scheduled to arrive 230-4

1030-1130
4 arrivals
1130-1230
7 arrivals
1230-130
4 arrivals
130-230
9 arrivals
230-330
4 arrivals
330-430
4 arrivals
430-730
4 arrivals

The 1030-1130 and 1130-1230 arrvs are from Canada which can and do arrv in B and C terms

The first arrv that requires Customs is MXP which usually arrvs early at 1230 or there abouts

Customs will not open their doors until 100p sometimes which means we stand there looking at the plane and the capt is giving me dirty looks because Customs is playing macho games

I know we will have problems with a 500a arrv because there are no other arrvs at that time so they will have to staff Customs at 500a for one flt and boy are they gonna be cranky!!!!

Also as to the different banks we already have 3.....ath mxp and fra at 400-500......fco cdg bcn vce arn ...at 600-700 and the rest at 800-900 except lhr 1045.....

You have to remember the time difference in Europe...we generally leave between 10 and 12 from Europe...you want to pick up as many connex from other cities as possible and you are given a slot time that you cant just willy nilly change.....we are not that big of a carrier to demand prime slots.

And because Israel has economic incentives in place to encourage Jewish people to "make Aliyah," there is a lot of demand for travel back and forth from the large centers of Jewish population. Alot of religious Jews study in Israel for a year or more, and many others own apartments in Israel, and between them, their family and their friends, tend to travel back and forth once or twice a year.

It is really impossible to convey the spiritual tug which Israel has on American Jewry.
But from what I know of growing up as a committed (but now partially lapsed) Jew in Northeastern PA......I firmly believe that PHL-TLV will be a profitable route for US, and I give them alot of credit for implementing it (or at least taking the first steps).

There is a very large Jewish population in the Boston area, too. (And a really large Jewish population there in the winter with all the college kids in town.) So I'm curious as to why there are no flights from BOS to TLV.

Not that I would expect US Airways to be so forward-thinking -- heck, they don't even fly non-stops from BOS to Florida, another very popular destination for valuable Jewish customers -- but I'm surprised that no "real" airline has offered this service.

On another note, are the added security implications of such a flight at PHL being discussed? I'm sure the State of Israel has certain security requirements that must be met on both sides of the pond for such flights. And I remember seeing the El Al aircraft at FRA being guarded by two armored personnel carriers while at the gate.

You have to remember the time difference in Europe...we generally leave between 10 and 12 from Europe...you want to pick up as many connex from other cities as possible and you are given a slot time that you cant just willy nilly change.....we are not that big of a carrier to demand prime slots.

This statement about not being able to change arrival/departure slots in EU so that US has better gate utilization in PHL just doesn't sound right. Sure, I'll buy that story for LHR (and maybe 1 or 2 other airports), but for other EU cities I wont. If the arrival / departure slots suck but US needs to serve that EU city, US management should be working the phones with * allaince carriers and other carriers about swapping slots. IMHO the majority of the PHL international gate problem could be resolved with a better management team. Isn't it strange that other carriers don't seem to have these problem at their premier international gateways / hubs?

The 1030-1130 and 1130-1230 arrvs are from Canada which can and do arrv in B and C terms

The first arrv that requires Customs is MXP which usually arrvs early at 1230 or there abouts

Also as to the different banks we already have 3.....ath mxp and fra at 400-500......fco cdg bcn vce arn ...at 600-700 and the rest at 800-900 except lhr 1045.....

Note, my post outlined CO's European arrivals at EWR...Not US arrivals in PHL

CO seems to run a far more efficient European operation out of EWR than US does out of PHL, hence why i was using it as an example. I know the higher O&D numbers allow them to have multiple flts a day to many destinations and spread the arrivals/departures out. However, regardless, the number of International arv/dep they have throughout the day the operation is more efficient. At least in my experience which i have arrived 4 times internationally on CO at EWR

There is a very large Jewish population in the Boston area, too. (And a really large Jewish population there in the winter with all the college kids in town.)

I always thought that BOS-TLV would be a great route for LY. When I spent a semester at Hebrew University the running joke was that people went to Hebrew University so they could meet (junior year abroad) students from Brandeis! (Jewish-founded, non-sectarian University in Waltham, MA.)

BOS-TLV probably makes more sense that PHL-TLV, since BOS-based travelers have no decent options for nonstops within driving distance. But I guess BOS-TLV is not a viable option for US.

Time to take my Ulpan course and freshen up on my Hebrew. I want to hold that LODO line in PHL to TLV.

This statement about not being able to change arrival/departure slots in EU so that US has better gate utilization in PHL just doesn't sound right. Sure, I'll buy that story for LHR (and maybe 1 or 2 other airports), but for other EU cities I wont. If the arrival / departure slots suck but US needs to serve that EU city, US management should be working the phones with * allaince carriers and other carriers about swapping slots. IMHO the majority of the PHL international gate problem could be resolved with a better management team. Isn't it strange that other carriers don't seem to have these problem at their premier international gateways / hubs?

I am definetly not a Tempe defender or a koolaid drinker but in this case I blame the PHl airport

In FRA and MUC who do you think gets prime slots us or LH??? in FCO MXP AND VCE us or AZ????
AA and CO and UA have a bigger prescence in Europe than us so I'm sure they get more consideration

But also look at EWR and ATL for example...those airports love their hub carriers...here in PHL its a definite love hate relationship...for example they gave three prime intl gates in Aeast to DL who has no intention of ever using them for Intl just to play macho games with US

I remember what a dog of an airport PHL was before we made it a hub...we dumped millions into it to build the market place and the F term and the new Intl term and now it wins the JD power award

When nobody wanted to spend money here we stepped in and did and yes I know we probably owe them for the bankruptsies but when you add up the landing fees, gate fees, and the 4.50 in PFCs for every pax I think we give a good chunk of change to PHL and plus all the upgrades to the terminals more than makes up for it

I wish we could just work together instead of constant p%%&ing contest...just think of what a great place it would be to work and connect thru

I know I know but a girl can dream

The inbound TLV aircraft could be used to serve NRT. It could depart around 11:30/noon arrive in NRT around 14:40/15:00 in time for connections to BKK, SIN and HKG. The A330-200 could depart NRT around 17:30 arriving back in PHL around 18:00/18:30. The aircraft could continue onto TLV. All 3 aircraft arriving would have to be used on these two routes.