New line maint stations opening

dawg,

Í'm not a Wall Street type. Never lived or worked there or worked for a finance company.

Obamacare doesn't apply to workers in Mexico. That's why it makes sense to create jobs there but not here.

Again, DL has contracted out airframe overhauls for several years. They aren't giving away any more work by doing it at a base in Mexico where they can control the process, gain a percent of the profits that the center gets for doing the same work for other airlines, and for gaining work at the TOC for DL employees which they cannot do now.

The Mexico facility will start by doing the same work that DL outsources now. Then they will go get contracts.

I'm sorry if you don't see that the Mexico facility is related to the ability of DL to win contracts that include work done at the TOC. The two are absolutely connected.

Market trends in any city regarding RJ flying all have to roll up and they do into DL's overall trend of shifting flying from regional carriers to DL mainline. The latest traffic report continues the trend. DL is shifting more flying to DL employees than any other airline in the US.

The number of seats in the DCI fleet is shrinking and the number of large RJs is capped.

It is your coworkers who don't have enough interest in unions to get any more of them seated at DL. You can come hammer away at your frustration here but your bone of contention is with your coworkers.
You and other labor supporters make no friends for your cause by saying that they are not engaged, can't think for themselves, or lazy because they don't support the goals you have. They are smart enough to weigh the issues and have decided unions are not in their best interest.

WorldTraveler said:
Obamacare doesn't apply to workers in Mexico. That's why it makes sense to create jobs there but not here.
So delta doesn't want to provide its new employees with health benefits? Sounds like a superior employment experience

You apparently don't realize how big of a drag on the creation of jobs Obamacare is throughout the US. It is the most significant hindrance of the creation of jobs in the US.

It doesn't help when Obama orders a change every week to the plan which makes it impossible for any business person to plan what they will have to spend and when.

That's not just my opinion - you can read articles in many places saying the same thing.

Ready Reserve have no benefits, what about all the non-delta mechanics that work at TOC, the ones who work for DGS or whomever Delta uses.

I'm sure you also know that DL uses contractors even at the headquarters? The reason why DL uses contractors is because they add to the workforce on a short-term basis in areas that cannot be justified on a long-term basis.

DL's use of contractors is precisely to protect the jobs of full-time benefitted employees which is precisely the idea of using RR employees. Again, tell us at how many airport locations DL employees work compared to their peers.

I've asked before but you and your labor supporters can't admit that DL is providing more security and more choices to its airport employees than other network airlines are doing.

How about a little real research and get THESE numbers posted.

Hiring temps and using contractors doesnt provide job security one bit, it weakens it.

Its outsourcing.

700UW said:
Really?

MEM, MSP, CVG and DTW.

Your lying again.
I knew you'd jump on it.

tell me what employees in those stations were laid off with no possibility of transfer.

So is it ok that unions can negotiate that exact same kind of job protection at other carriers including UA but it is not kosher (do you do kosher?) at DL?

the only narrative that matters is the truth, even if that runs over your dreams of seating unions at DL.

Why dont you tell us, since you claimed no one has been laid off since the merger and you know thats an outright lie.

no, it is not.

DL has provided a position to every employee who has been impacted by DL's reallocation of capacity between cities.

Again, it is no different than what any other airline including UA has done for its unionized employees who have also been impacted by reallocation of capacity on their networks.

We've been down this road before. If a job in any given city no longer exists, it's gone. If the person decides not to chase their job, they've lost it. You can call it a structural layoff (and let's get real here; the company is banking on a certain percentage of people either taking an EO, retiring, or taking the furlough...) or you can argue that they had a chance to move to EWR or God-knows-where. I'm sure the people in ANC cargo were thrilled at the thought of uprooting to ATL instead of being able to bid across the airfield to the ANC ramp. Thrilled.

In the end, it doesn't matter; that position in that station no longer exists.

Kev3188 said:
We've been down this road before. If a job in any given city no longer exists, it's gone. If the person decides not to chase their job, they've lost it. You can call it a structural layoff, or you can argue that they had a chance to move to EWR or God-knows-where. In the end, it doesn't matter; that position in that station no longer exists.
...and their name does not go on a recall list to be called back if they decide to backfill after a retirement, etc. of course those are probably going to DGS, or RR part timers if they are filled.

Back