NEW RECALL #'S TO BE ANNOUNCED...

Folks, Sounds to me like this is actually a bit of good news. The original announcement was for 400 F/As recalled by the end of the summer. Now it's up to 510 "expected" by the end of the year. Aren't they just spreading more recalls over a bigger spread of time? We just have fewer recalls up front but a few more over time.

Folks, Sounds to me like this is actually a bit of good news. The original announcement was for 400 F/As recalled by the end of the summer. Now it's up to 510 "expected" by the end of the year. Aren't they just spreading more recalls over a bigger spread of time? We just have fewer recalls up front but a few more over time.
Exactly! You make recalls and hire when you NEED the people, not before. I'm hoping for eventual growth for this airline, but not before the merger is worked through.

This is still great news for invols waiting to come back. I STILL have an issue with them getting those flight attendants hopes up that are waiting to come back. I would have given management more credit if they would have said something like, "possible 400 to return...more exact numbers to follow before the letters go out". Jeeeez would that have been hard. They have a right to be PO'd.

Just for clarififcation:

The E-Line which came out on March 13, 2006 stated the following:

"The Company plans to announce tomorrow that staffing models indicate the need to recall a significant number of Flight Attendants. Management has indicated that the number of recalls could be as high as 600 to US Airways (East) during 2006.

The recall will be in two phases. Initially, the Company has indicated they will recall between 320 and 370 Flight Attendants to be on line in June and an estimated 50 Flight Attendants to be on line August. The remainder will be recalled during the fourth quarter of 2006."

So as you can see, the latest revised #'s are not an increase from the 400. Those 400 were planned to return for the Summer. That # has now been reduced to 280. Furthermore, just because 230 more are "expected" to be on the property by the end of 2006 certainly does not mean it will happen, and after this latest development, many of us Junior folks have far less faith that it actually will.

Obviously, the company SHOULD NOT recall more than what is necessary for staffing with the correct percentage of Reserves, as that would be wasteful and not make for a solid Company to return to. That is not what I am calling irresponsible.

The point here is that the company should really put more thought and consideration into these announcements before allowing the information to go public, particularly if the #'s are as uncertain as they now seem.

As Travelpro72 suggested, a more appropriate announcement would certainly have been: "possible 400 to return...more exact numbers to follow before the letters go out". If the news were handled in this manner, I, for one, would expect fluctuation in the numbers and not be as upset to see them change.

Flying Cat,

I DO care!!! As a customer you and your co workers are the reason for my loyalty. Always know this.

Having said that, YOU are responsible for YOUR career. I know no nice way to put this. When 9/11 occured you should have made plans to exit the industry. You have endured much, maybe even lost a home or a spouse due to stress & finances. NO COMPANY is worth that. This is the time to be selfish.

Vaya Con Dios and thank you for your service to the customers of US Airways.

PineyBob - Who exactly are you addressing? Me or flyingcat? I assume you meant me since that post was mine and not flyingcat's.

Not that it's even a fraction of your business, but you're preaching to the choir on this one. And you assume far too much. I DID move on after 9/11. I spent 4 of the past 5 years as an Account Manager for a reputable company until I decided I couldn't take it a moment longer and left. Do you really think I sat around for 5 years pining for a job with US Airways again, while pursuing nothing else? Sure, there were times when I wished to return, but there were also long stretches during those years when I vowed NEVER to go back. However, years roll by and things change which make you reevaluate what you consider important and what may seem like a bad idea at one time, may seem like a better idea at a different time and under different circumstances. I don't think anyone here has told you what career path you should or should not pursue, and I will thank you to do the same.

Now please BUTT OUT as your comments about what I choose to do with my life are neither wanted nor appreciated.