RECALLS WITHOUT UNIFORM PIECES

flyguy121

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
As usual, the Company is ill-prepared and poorly equipped. I wonder how many of the Recalls this is going to affect?

From the E-Line:

Several recalled Flight Attendants who have no suitable uniforms have not received replacement pieces from the vendor. The Company was initially instructing anyone in such a predicament to wear navy pants/skirt and a white shirt of their own. That is no longer the policy and would be a violation of our contract.

If you are a recalled Flight Attendant and do not have uniforms you will be held out of service until you receive the required uniform pieces. Your reserve guarantee will not be reduced. If you have completed training and are contacted by crew scheduling to fly a trip you must inform them that you do not have a uniform. You will be asked to contact Rick Carpenter so that he may track down your order. The orders were not processed individually by the vendor thus only Mr. Carpenter will be able to check the status of your order.

Mr. Carpenter's phone number is [edited- please PM the poster if the number is needed. Thanks.]

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
US Airways MEC President
AFA-CWA

Most of us that are able to fly right now were at MAA or have went to reccurrent the 1st and 2nd of June. But...there were at least 30 that the prints havnt cleared so they are not flying either. Now there is the uniform issue. Nobody has received any uniform peices as of yet. So, as of now there are atleast(I am taking a guess) half of the 200 that cannot fly. A bunch of us had to fly to Boston to fly...they had no reserves over weekend. On the reserve list in PHL there are so many that are illegal to fly for whatever reason. I do not understand the fingerprints not being cleared after 3 weeks. I know one person that they had to go twice to get printed..but they just took a voluntary from MAA right when they had to go get reprinted. Its all actually a mess. But, we all kinda expected it to be, so not surprise there. :shock:

Most of us that are able to fly right now were at MAA or have went to reccurrent the 1st and 2nd of June. But...there were at least 30 that the prints havnt cleared so they are not flying either. Now there is the uniform issue. Nobody has received any uniform peices as of yet. So, as of now there are atleast(I am taking a guess) half of the 200 that cannot fly. A bunch of us had to fly to Boston to fly...they had no reserves over weekend. On the reserve list in PHL there are so many that are illegal to fly for whatever reason. I do not understand the fingerprints not being cleared after 3 weeks. I know one person that they had to go twice to get printed..but they just took a voluntary from MAA right when they had to go get reprinted. Its all actually a mess. But, we all kinda expected it to be, so not surprise there. :shock:
Hi,

Just curious: Where are the uniforms from when you were active, and weren't you finger printed before?

Hi,

Just curious: Where are the uniforms from when you were active, and weren't you finger printed before?
When we first started in 2000 they were from Lion Apparrel. Now it is all Cintas. They usually dont take so long to deliver, but with 200 orders they are most likely backed up. So, they are probably gonna rush the orders that are urgent for those with no uniform peices at all.
The finger prints are another story though....they said that even though we are current with the prints since we were at MAA..that they won't send them to them because they are sealed because of the lawsuit going on at MAA with the flight attendants. That is what we were told by the fingerprinting people. So, I really do not know why we needed them again. That is the reason we were told....

There are probably several reason for people not having uniform pieces. One is that if they were in the group that was not off probation they had to return the uniform as the company orgianlly terminated them. Another reason is it has been a very long time and the old uniforms may not fit.

Just my guess.

Hi,

I have ask the same question, where are the uniforms that they got when first hired? The change of vendor has nothing to do with the style and color since that hasn't changed in many years. In fact most of my uniforms are the old Lion brand.

At mainline we can have our pieces rotated out every few years. Pants 2 year life, 5 shirts a year, jackets 4 years (I think). So, everything expires and you can order new sizes. It's not realistic to expect someone that has been gone for 4 years to still fit in the dress they graduated in. The active employees have been able to make adjustments for size when they turned an old piece in for a new one but these returning people haven't had that opportunity.
They also can't go out and buy navy pants or white shirt as our uniform is treated with flame retardant. Or at least your not suppose too.

I have ask the same question, where are the uniforms that they got when first hired? The change of vendor has nothing to do with the style and color since that hasn't changed in many years. In fact most of my uniforms are the old Lion brand.

I agree that Lion Apparel vs. Cintas has nothing to do with it. I myself have not been recalled, but if I were, I and many others that were originally terminated for not yet being off probation with US Airways after 9/11, were forced to return all luggage and uniform pieces along with our manuals and keys.

Basically, anyone from this group would need to be furnished with brand new uniform and luggage pieces when and if recalled because we no longer have them.

I agree that Lion Apparel vs. Cintas has nothing to do with it. I myself have not been recalled, but if I were, I and many others that were originally terminated for not yet being off probation with US Airways after 9/11, were forced to return all luggage and uniform pieces along with our manuals and keys.

Basically, anyone from this group would need to be furnished with brand new uniform and luggage pieces when and if recalled because we no longer have them.

But if you were furloughed, don't you still keep your uniforms as well as your manual and luggage? I thought that you only returned your ID and parking pass. Also, there are many F/A's who still wear Lion apparel...i.e. the double-breasted jacket circa 1980's and the beige shirt.

/
But if you were furloughed, don't you still keep your uniforms as well as your manual and luggage? I thought that you only returned your ID and parking pass. Also, there are many F/A's who still wear Lion apparel...i.e. the double-breasted jacket circa 1980's and the beige shirt.

Like I said, Lion vs. Cintas has nothing to do with it.

After 9/11, any f/a who had not yet completed their probationary period was terminated (later we were upgraded to furloughed status). Because a large group of us were first considered terminated and not furloughed, we were forced to return EVERYTHING.

/

Like I said, Lion vs. Cintas has nothing to do with it.

After 9/11, any f/a who had not yet completed their probationary period was terminated (later we were upgraded to furloughed status). Because a large group of us were first considered terminated and not furloughed, we were forced to return EVERYTHING.
Sorry. Did not know we had any terminated F/A's that were recalled.

Those that can turn in uniforms and/or order new ones just have not received the orders yet.

I am still waiting on a bag =) but am able to use an old one for the time being.

:shock: Was this a surprise that furloughed f/a's were returning? I mean really. Cover the bases people. Who is running this three ring circus anyway? :unsure:

If you’re a male and need pants, go to Sears.

I’m serious.

Just take a tie or something else company issued to match the color. I’ve started doing that in 1992 and enjoyed the better quality.

<SNIP>They also can't go out and buy navy pants or white shirt as our uniform is treated with flame retardant. Or at least your not suppose too.
Any type of flame retardant treatment will become ineffective after a few dry cleanings. Nomex is the only material that has inherent flame resistance, but it should not be dry cleaned as well.

As flame retardant as a womans pantyhose? LOL :rolleyes: Is this the item overlooked by the folks making the big bucks? Oh brother.