New Routes/service Thread

MAH4546

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Just thought I'd start this thread up to post info on new routes coming up, as well as discontinued services. I'll start with a summary of recently announced new services:

American Connection:
Evansville-St. Louis, 2x

American Eagle/MQ:
Austin-Raleigh, 2x daiy ERD, year-round, 1 October
Boston-Halifax, 2x SaSu ER3, 3 July-5 Sep
Boston-Portland, ME, 3x SaSu ER3, 3 July-31 Oct
Dallas-Nassau, daily CR7, year-round, 10 June
Dallas-Peoria, 2x daily ERD, year-round, 15 July
Halifax-JFK, 3x daily ER3, year-round, 10 June
LaGuardia-Traverse City, 1x weekly ERD, 2 July-5 Sep
Providence-Raleigh, 3x daily ER3, year-round, 1 July

American Eagle/OW:
Antigua-Santo Domingo, 3x weekly AT7, year-round, 1 May

American Airlines (domestic):
Maui-San Francsico, 1x daily 757, 10 June-7 Sep
O'Hare-Sacramento, 2x daily S80, 10 June-31 Oct

American Airlines (international):
LaGuardia-Bermuda, Sa 757, 1 May-7 Sep
Miami-St. Lucia (Hewanorra), 1x daily 738, 1 Nov

You forgot about the following:

AA Domestic: JFK-Phoenix (started in Feb, 2x daily on the B757 with two extra rows of seats)

AA International: DFW-Cozumel (started in Feb, 1x daily on the B737)
DFW-Ixtapa (started in Feb, 2x per week on the MD80)
Miami-Liberia, Costa Rica (started in Feb, 3x per week on the B737)
JFK-Brussels (starts in May, 1x daily on the B767-300, to support codeshare with SN Brussels)
Boston-Manchester (starts in May, 1x daily on an all-coach B757)
LAX-Narita (started in April, 1x daily on the B777)

Lots of new international service. Makes sense, since that's the place where LCC's cannot compete directly with AA, which means less pressure on fares in those routes. Also, it builds on the breadth of AA's network, which LCC's cannot match, and it also supports codesharing agreements and oneworld.

I heard Greenberg the travel guy on NBC say that Europe fares were especially high this year for 2 reasons...
1. The Olympics in Greece
2. The exchange rate of Euro vs. dollar. The Euro is so strong that a lot of Europeans are vacationing in the U.S. this year; so, the airlines know that the seats will be full in both directions.

From Greenberg's lips to God's ears. We could use a really strong summer to offset the thieving jet fuel prices.

There has also been a second daily LAX-LHR flight added for the summer travel season. LAX-SAL is also scheduled (don't know for sure when it starts).

Three days, three new routes.

1 July 2004: Daily Nevis-Antigua service, ATR-72.
2 July 2004: Daily St. Lucia (Vigie Field)-Canuoan Island service, ATR-72
3 July 2004: SaSu LaGuardia-Nassau service, S80.

All new flights are year-round. The new SLU-CIW service replaces the current daily service to CIW, which operates on a triangle route of either SJU-BGI-CIW-SJU or SJU-CIW-BGI-SJU depending on the day of the week.

New route:

16 March 2005: Miami-Hamilton, Bermuda (ThSu); increases to 5w (xTuWe) on 2 June 2005.

As for MIA-GNV, its still being talked about, though any MIA-GNV service depends on how much subsidy GNV is willing to give. AEagle is asking for a large amount.

lpbrian said:
MIA-SKB (St Kitts ) starts 11/1/04.
Was just about to post about St. Kitts. Heard about it today, nice to see it from a second source. Daily 737-800 is what I was told, though it may operate 5w during off-peak.

Resumption dates for Vail/Eagle this winter:

Dallas: 24 November. (3x + 3w)
LaGuardia: 18 December. (1w)
Los Angeles: 16 December. (5w)
Miami: 18 December. (2w)
Newark: 17 December. (1x)
O'Hare: 16 December. (1x + 1w)

MIA, LAX, and DFW all have more Vail/Eagle service this winter than last.

I would say that MIA-GNV is dead at this point. GNV just committed a good chunk of change to subsidize NW's new GNV-MEM service. I doubt GNV can afford to subsidize both.

DLFlyer31 said:
I would say that MIA-GNV is dead at this point. GNV just committed a good chunk of change to subsidize NW's new GNV-MEM service. I doubt GNV can afford to subsidize both.
I would have thought that too, but its not. GNV is in talks with both American Eagle and Gulfstream International (Continental Connection) for GNV-MIA service. They are still willing to subsidize, though I'm sure subsidies will not be huge.

Keeping the list updated:

Miami-Manchester, daily 767-300ER, 1 November 2004
Miami-St. Kitts schedule uploaded. Starts 3 November 2004 WeFrSu; increases to xMoTu on 2 February 2005.

Latest posts