No Ice & No Food

PITbull said:
It would have bohooved the Co. to wait and negotiate reasonablity from all of labor. They failed to do this as they became to opportunistic and greedy.

[post="179338"][/post]​

Wait? The company had no more time to wait. The financial covenants would have been in default on Wednesday.

As for purchasing tickets on AMEX, you are not obligated under federal law to pay for a charge on a credit card where you could not have the good or service delivered.

The new labor contracts with temporary relief allowed under S.1113(e), which could be done by imposition, will more than make up for temporary lost revenue due to this issue.

In fact, if I was US Airways I would get rid of the meal voucher program. To my knowledge JetBlue and Southwest do not have this program.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

I had two hotels in PHL refuse to honor my hotel and meal vouchers this past Friday night. I just went and got my own. At 10:30 PM I just wasn't going to go back to the airport and try to find another agent to help.

I wasn't upset with either US or the hotels. It is just one to the things that happen. Not sure the average pax would feel the same though.

i have heard some stories from some of our commuter pilots saying that a lot of restaurants in phl airport will not accept any usair meal vouchers.

USA320Pilot said:
The new labor contracts... ...will more than make up for temporary lost revenue ...
Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="179585"][/post]​

There you go. I appreciate your ability to distill the facts into such succinct statements.

You have summarized the business model of USAir for the last decade.

You are simply incredulous. It is simply beyond reasonable explanation how anyone can continue to think that a business plan that has resulted in two Chapter 11s will ever result in a profitable company.

The pied piper continues the mantra, "It is not the revenue. It is the labor cost. It is not the revenue..."

Rip Van Winkle could do better.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

This is nothing new. During the first BK a lot of food vendors at PHL refused US meal vouchers. Although they didn't bother posting signs - they'd tell you as they presented the check. I guess they didn't want to turn down business.

Just par for the course.

(By the way, best of luck to everyone. I was with a company that filed for Chapter 7 last year and it ended up being a blessing. 4 days later and I was with a different company in a better position. I hope everyone at US is as fortunate as I was if it comes to that. Ya'll certainly deserve it.)

Phoenix said:
You are simply incredulous. It is simply beyond reasonable explanation how anyone can continue to think that a business plan that has resulted in two Chapter 11s will ever result in a profitable company.

[post="179615"][/post]​

How many trips did Continental make into Chapter 11 before getting profitable? McNeil-Lehrer or whatever that show is called now had two analysts on tonight and Jenkins (formerly of GWU and now at Embry-Riddle) says the legacy carriers will all need two or more trips though BK to get costs where they need to be.

N628AU said:
How many trips did Continental make into Chapter 11 before getting profitable? McNeil-Lehrer or whatever that show is called now had two analysts on tonight and Jenkins (formerly of GWU and now at Embry-Riddle) says the legacy carriers will all need two or more trips though BK to get costs where they need to be.
[post="179691"][/post]​

That's absurd. CO had a bankruptcy in the early 1980's, then a second in the early 1990's. How can you compare this to USairways managing to have to declare bankruptcy twice within 25 months? All this while CO will likely be the legacy carrier that does NOT have to declare in this ecconomy and terrorist environment.

N628AU said:
[post="179691"][/post]​

The mantra about "it is the cost" is nothing more than a tired demand for employees to agree to slave labor wage while SouthWest makes a good living and pays outstanding wages.

Did he mention SoutWest will have to go through bankruptcy several times to get costs where they need to be.

Oh wait. Forgive me for thinking. Indeed the Lehrer has spoken.

Chip did bring up something I have thought about for a while, eliminating the Meal Voucher program. When we first started giving out vouchers, we only gave them out if the flight effected had meal service. Now a days passengers must purchase food on board the aircraft, so they should also have to do the same on the ground. It has become more of a goodwill gesture then what it was designed for. Like everything else, we must evaluate all practices.

jimntx said:
I think AMEX refuses to refund only if you buy the ticket/purchase the product AFTER the company goes into BK. I think they will refund if you bought before BK is filed and the ticket is unusable or the product undelivered.
[post="179494"][/post]​

Not true. I am going to paste text from a consumer site: "Consumers are protected under the federal Fair Credit Billing Act. If a customer did not get the flight they paid for, it's considered a billing error and is disputable with the customer's credit card company. According to the Fair Credit Billing Act, consumers have the right to reverse the charge if:

They tried unsuccessfully to get a refund from the airline.

They purchased the ticket in their home state or within 100 miles of their billing address.

The fare was more than $50.

Most importantly, consumers need to document the complaint in a letter to their credit card company; otherwise, they will not be protected legally. The letter must reach the creditor within 60 days after the first credit card statement containing the billing error was mailed. Understand this rule does not apply to corporate cards.
If you paid by cash, it could be years before you get a refund—if any—as the case is played out in bankruptcy court."

From my own personal dealings with a cruise line that went bankrupt several years ago, the 60 day rule is also workable. Many people buy travel services way out. Again, be savvy.

EyeInTheSky said:
They tried unsuccessfully to get a refund from the airline.

They purchased the ticket in their home state or within 100 miles of their billing address.

The fare was more than $50.

Most importantly, consumers need to document the complaint in a letter to their credit card company; otherwise, they will not be protected legally. The letter must reach the creditor within 60 days after the first credit card statement containing the billing error was mailed. Understand this rule does not apply to corporate cards.
[post="179875"][/post]​

I've edited to eliminate everything except the "gotchas." I know all too well what the law is. Let me tell you my long, sad, tragic experience with BofA Visa. :lol:

My screwing over was not an airplane ticket. It was a Christmas gift ordered in July, billed in August, for delivery in December--as an analogy, think Christmas trip to see the family, or a ski trip. Company closed its doors in late November.

If a company closes its doors, what constitutes "trying to get a refund from" them. A telephone call to an answering machine that tells you the company is not in operation? 5 calls? A letter to a P.O. Box that you can't prove was received. Been there, done that. BofA said I hadn't fulfilled this part of the law because I didn't prove to them (BofA) that I had attempted to get a refund. (This was their first, immediate response to my request for a credit on my card since I had paid the bill in late August.)

I followed the rules about disputing the charge in writing. After writing back and forth with BofA until the following March, they decided to invoke the 60 day rule--I should have disputed the charge no later than October, they said. Needless to say, I do not have a BofA Visa today, and I finally got my last checking account closed with them.

I'm not saying that every credit card company is like BofA, but I would think twice about booking on any airline in BK more than 30 days in advance of the actual flight. Things can change so rapidly.

For instance, what's going to happen with UAL if the judge decides to end their exclusivity period because he decides that they didn't make nice enough with their unions? Rumor has it that at least one group of creditors will present an alternate plan that involves converting to Ch. 7. That's coming up real soon.

nycbusdriver said:
That's absurd. CO had a bankruptcy in the early 1980's, then a second in the early 1990's. How can you compare this to USairways managing to have to declare bankruptcy twice within 25 months? All this while CO will likely be the legacy carrier that does NOT have to declare in this ecconomy and terrorist environment.
[post="179703"][/post]​

Not completely absurd, the span between CO's filings was a period of relative health for the major carriers. They still owned the skies for the most part, LCCs had not developed, there was no threat of terrorism, nor skyrocketing fuel prices. DL will file by the end of the year, if they get concessions or not. UA has no light at the end of the tunnel to exit. AA, NW, and CO, although healthy now, will be the next round of targets should US be successful in it's transformation.

PineyBob said:
Or it's the same knee jerk reaction the city had when the steel industry collapsed. Those who fail the to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them.
[post="180042"][/post]​

PineyBob, when was the last time you visited Pittsburgh? Citing the above paragraph, I'd suffice it to say it was sometime in the early 70's. Hate to break it to you, but the city will do fine with or without US Airways. Go ahead and think your outdated thoughts; the smart people know better and the people of Western PA don't give a rat's butt what people from "New Joisey" think.

PineyBob said:
June 4th 2004, was the last time. I get there about 3 times a year that I actually have to leave the airport. I remain unimpressed. Your last sentence is to me proof positive of my exact point regarding the mentality. I can't help but notice the most negative on this board have a PIT connection or that fact that of my admittedly miniscule "Dust Ups' with US in general a disproportunate number occurred in PIT.

And if you took the time to look where Mystic Island is on the map you'd know that I am to far south to have the "Joisy Accent", and as I have mentioned many times I was born in PA
[post="180054"][/post]​

I wasn't born in PA, but NJ, there you go. I know we live better out here than you do in NJ. That's a fact.