700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways dropping peanuts
Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 3, 2006 12:00 AM

US Airways is pulling peanuts from its flights by the end of June, but this is no penny-pinching move so prevalent in the industry today.

The Tempe-based airline, the nation's fifth-largest, is bowing to concerns of travelers with severe peanut allergies. It will serve pretzels, crackers and other in-flight snacks, instead. Several other major airlines had already stopped serving peanuts after peanut allergy groups expressed their members' fears of a dangerous in-flight reaction.

No More Peanuts

that is so retarted. if you are allergic to peanuts then bring your medication.

Have you ever seen someone with a severe peanut allergy? I remember working the gate and seeing this man come off the plane with his eyes nearly swollen shut, his face beat red, hives everywhere. This was after he was reassured (by RES) that we would not serve peanuts. Of course, no one told the crew and when the first several rows of customers started opening the bags of nuts, he had a reaction just from the dust.

Peanut allergies are one of the most common food allergies and in many cases can be life threatening. Removign peanuts is the right thing to do. Why cause yourself more headaches.

Because it's just another example of the Tyranny of the Minority?

125 people are suppossed to stop enjoying a popular snack because one Passenger 126 is allergic?

I can understand and support this decision with all the Class Action Lawyers out there. But otherwise it's a tough pill for me.

You'd probably feel differently if it was you that had the allergy. I was very non-chalant about peanut allergies until I saw the man described above. He was litterally weasing, welted, eyes swollen shut, hives on every inch of exposed skin. I also have a nephew that has a peanut allergy and nearly died from ingesting a single peanut. In an environment that is as tightly populated as an airplane, why risk it. There are other appetizing snacks for you to choose from. Why put someones comfort, health or life at risk so you can enjoy a handful of peanuts? Substituting things like crackers, chips, etc is a better alternative.

But that is just my opinion....

You'd probably feel differently if it was you that had the allergy. I was very non-chalant about peanut allergies until I saw the man described above. He was litterally weasing, welted, eyes swollen shut, hives on every inch of exposed skin. I also have a nephew that has a peanut allergy and nearly died from ingesting a single peanut. In an environment that is as tightly populated as an airplane, why risk it. There are other appetizing snacks for you to choose from. Why put someones comfort, health or life at risk so you can enjoy a handful of peanuts? Substituting things like crackers, chips, etc is a better alternative.

But that is just my opinion....
Ok, I'm allergic to ill-mannered people..... :p

Just a question .......... Why didnt we ever hear of
" THE PEANUT ALLERGY " back in the 70's and 80's ? It seems to just have SPRUNG UP in the 90's !

sky high states: PRETZELS SUCK! :down: :shock: :down:
What's next?? Medical clearance to fly?? Sign a waiver that the airline is not responsible for anything that any passenger may bring on board with them??
No cologne, no perfume?? Certain magazines stopped putting samples in because people were allergic. Personally, I can't stand when a person dunks themselves in any specific scent whether it be on a plane or in the office or any public place.
No alcohol if there are alcoholics flying??
Remove reading material because there are illiterates on board??
A lot of people have allergies or sensitivities to many things. An aircraft cabin is NOT a sterile environment by any stretch of the imagination.

Remove the GD cats. I alergic to them.

Last week on NW there was a customer carrying a cat. I asked to be reseated, the FA spke with the GA and told no seats were avaiable. They would re-book me on the next flight, the next morning.

When does a cat (riding for free) have more rights than a full fare pltm flyer?

I know this happened on NW, but I'm sure the same would be true on other carries.

I took my pills, and made the best of it, unfortnatly we were on the ground for hours with storms

People People People.

It is just a stupid peanut, if it was you or any of your family members effected you would feel the same.

Give accolades to the company for understanding things and being compassionate.

You did not hear of AIDS in the 70s, more people are being allergic to peanuts ever then before.

I have witnessed a small child almost die because of peanuts on a flight and I have been part of cleaning an airplane intensly because of the peanut ban due to a passenger having the allergy.

And the last time I checked you paid for transportation and not a bag of peanuts.

Once again, have any of you actually seen what happens to a person that has a severe peanut allergy? And we are not talking about someone that accidentally eats a food item with a peanut in it. I am talking about someone with an allergy so severe that their systen reacts just from the dust and oils in the air?

Part of the problem is that US East was a peanut free airline (in coach) and as a result of the merger, we were flying people with peanut allergies on flights were we said we were not offering peanuts. This caused more then a dozen cusotmer incidents. If we are going to serve peanuts, then the information needs to be out there so that those with allergies can find alternate transportation, or we can serve an alternative. US East was peanut free for years and I have yet to see anyone refuse to fly because we didn't offer peanuts.

Remove the GD cats. I alergic to them.

Last week on NW there was a customer carrying a cat. I asked to be reseated, the FA spke with the GA and told no seats were avaiable. They would re-book me on the next flight, the next morning.

When does a cat (riding for free) have more rights than a full fare pltm flyer?

I know this happened on NW, but I'm sure the same would be true on other carries.

I took my pills, and made the best of it, unfortnatly we were on the ground for hours with storms
Oh I agree 100%......have had cats several times on flights including several times in first class.....usually with Ma Kettle going to FL for the winter and taking fluffy with her. I say put them in cargo, there's a lot of folks who are allergic to cats. Also, I prefer not to hear fluffy meowing and whining cause it wants out of the sack it's forced to be in to fit under the seat next to Ma's feet.

People People People.

It is just a stupid peanut, if it was you or any of your family members effected you would feel the same.

Give accolades to the company for understanding things and being compassionate.

You did not hear of AIDS in the 70s, more people are being allergic to peanuts ever then before.

I have witness a small child almost die because of peanuts on a flight and I have been part of cleaning an airplane intensly because of the peanut ban due to a passenger having the allergy.

And the last time I checked you paid for transportation and not a bag of peanuts.
Nicely said