No More Peanuts

I agree the alergy can be pretty bad. 15 -20 years ago a restaurant in PVD thicked their chilli with peanut butter, and a customed died almost instantly. They never thought to aske if the chilli contained peanut butter.

But people with this alergy also needs to be prepared because if I want to eat my peanut M&Ms on a flight I should have that right.

AW700 is right its just peanuts. But as Piney said where does it stop.

Part of the problem with almonds, it they cost much more, and usaully processed in the same plan as peanuts, so same problem.

Look on some candy wrappers, I think plain M&Ms are one that states they are processed in the same plant that also processes candy with peanuts, so it can be a big issue for a very small portion of the population

Part of the problem is that US East was a peanut free airline (in coach) and as a result of the merger, we were flying people with peanut allergies on flights were we said we were not offering peanuts. This caused more then a dozen cusotmer incidents.

I didn't even know that any US carrier still served peanuts until we resumed a few months back.

Not long afte we started serving peanuts again, a customer - having been assured by res that we did not serve peanuts - came off a flight in tears and told me that she had to use her epi (sp.?) twice.

While I think the decision to pull the peanut plug again is correct, those with severe peanut allergies can still be exposed. More passengers than ever are bring their own food on board, many of them bring peanuts or PBJs and such.

We could start a whole thread over on thge "water cooler" board on why Americans seem to have more allergies than anyone else on the world.

Part of the problem is that US East was a peanut free airline (in coach) and as a result of the merger, we were flying people with peanut allergies on flights were we said we were not offering peanuts. This caused more then a dozen cusotmer incidents. If we are going to serve peanuts, then the information needs to be out there so that those with allergies can find alternate transportation, or we can serve an alternative. US East was peanut free for years and I have yet to see anyone refuse to fly because we didn't offer peanuts.

Pre-merger with AWA, US was serving only pretzels on board. After the merger is when peanuts began to reappear on all flights. Now, they have boarded both peanuts and pretzels and sometimes you have to serve both because there just isn't enough of each. What gives? Pre-merger we (US) used to have a Peanut Allergy Policy in tact. Basically, the customer would make arrangements through Reservations or Gate Agents, then the word was passed down to the flight crew to remove all peanuts from the A/C. Pretty simple ya think?

On a related story....The other day flying from Coast to Coast, had a lady come to the front of the A/C with completely swollen red eyes that were itchy. Looked as if she had just finished a boxing match, Anyway she has "no" allergies to peanuts or pets, the only thing she did when she got onboard was grab a pillow placed it against the window and fell asleep for a couple of hours and woke up to itching around her eyes. :shock: She got up and went to the bathroom looked in the mirror and panicked. Luckily there was a Doctor in F/C that overheard our conversation with this lady, she got up looked at the lady and gave her some Benadryl to reduce swelling. An hour or so later, the swelling had gone down. Moral of that story...."dirty disgusting obviously filthy pillows". :unsure: Pillow looked as if it was clean but it wasn't. Beware! I personally do not use those pillows unless I know they were just put on by Utility....which is usually the first flight of the day!

There is no more utility on the line.

Vendors or the ramp clean the planes.

Every pillow if soiled or dirty is to be thrown away and every pillow is suppose to have a new case put on every night, in the case of Transatlantic every flight the pillow case is to be replaced.

Pre-merger we (US) used to have a Peanut Allergy Policy in tact. Basically, the customer would make arrangements through Reservations or Gate Agents, then the word was passed down to the flight crew to remove all peanuts from the A/C. Pretty simple ya think?
One problem with that program was that there would still be "peanut debris" in the seat pockets and such, so a "peanut free experience" was not a sure bet, even if everyone had gotten the word. (Which did not always happen.) Sure, it is not possible to remove all potential allergens, but since peanut allergy is not that uncommon and can be so servere, I agree with not having them in the first place.

Too bad the "pretzels" taste like salted cardbaord. :(

"They bought their ticket, they knew what to expect, I say let them die"

Airplane

Peanuts are great, changing the system to accomodate one in a half million people is stupid. If you know you are allergic, bring your meds.

Apparently you are not a Dr either.

Some people can die from peanut allergy.

When people fly they buy a ticket for transporation, not peanuts.

Amazing how ignorant and uncompassionate people can be over a stupid bag of peanuts.

No wonder why this world is so screwed up.

If you are in favor of letting people get sick or die, especially a child then you have some serious mental issues to deal with.

There is no more utility on the line.

Vendors or the ramp clean the planes.

Every pillow if soiled or dirty is to be thrown away and every pillow is suppose to have a new case put on every night, in the case of Transatlantic every flight the pillow case is to be replaced.

Well, whoever is supposed to dispose of filthy pillows then. I've seen some pretty nasty looking pillows that looked like they have been on the A/C since the beginning of time. I will throw out the disgusting ones because it's pretty embarrassing! And after touching pillows and blankets in the cabin, I ALWAYS wash my hands!

On the original subject....even if we don't serve peanuts onboard the A/C, other passengers will buy them in the Terminal and bring them onboard. There is no fool proof way of getting rid of peanuts entirely from the A/C. People with peanut allergies have to know that!

Apparently you are not a Dr either.

Some people can die from peanut allergy.

When people fly they buy a ticket for transporation, not peanuts.

Amazing how ignorant and uncompassionate people can be over a stupid bag of peanuts.

No wonder why this world is so screwed up.

If you are in favor of letting people get sick or die, especially a child then you have some serious mental issues to deal with.
I don't think that's the issue. What do we do when a customer brings his or her own personal giant bag of peanuts on the plane? What about a Snickers bar? My point is that you (in no way) can guarantee a "peanut free" flight unless you check every customer's pockets and bags before they enter the cabin.

I was thrilled when we got them back! Now its back to the same old bag of carbs we've had for the last five years. And as an open statement to the powers that be in Tempe, can we not offer a snack (for purchase) that actually has protein? The "Inflight Gourmet" $5 snacks are nothing but carbohydrates...and processed sugary ones at that. PLEASE, if you're pulling peanuts off the airplane, give us soynuts or some other source for actual nutrition.

Once again the company has no oversight in how the manner their planes are cleaned.

I know if I was paying a company for a service I would ensure the planes are inspected before the first flight of the day and have penalties built into the contract for all the mistakes and things that were not done.

Once again a management that does not know how to manage.

I once went on aircraft to remind crew that peanuts are not to be served because of a person flying with peanut allergies. The flight attendant said fine and promptly took a big jar of peanut butter out of her flight bag and started making a sandwich.

What peanuts? I've been flying for U Express for 3 years and have never ONCE seen a bag of peanuts on our plane. I heard rumors of them being out there, but all we get are those stinking Spinzels. yuck!

I once went on aircraft to remind crew that peanuts are not to be served because of a person flying with peanut allergies. The flight attendant said fine and promptly took a big jar of peanut butter out of her flight bag and started making a sandwich.
:up: That was my point exactly.

Ok, I'm allergic to ill-mannered people..... :p

I am also allergic to people who feel they just absolutely need to travel while they are sick. Exposing 100+ people to whatever illness is making them sick because, as we all know, it is the era of "it's all about me."

Latest posts

Back