Nonrevs behaving badly... what's new?

Bridogger6

Sep 23, 2006
Last night was working the PHX-CLT redeye, 1558 and the flight was not full (for the first time in months), but would be completely so once we had cleared out 40 some nonrevs. We spent a half hour or so making sure everyone was listed correctly and going through, finding out who was traveling with children making sure that everyone that needed to was seated together. While doing all of this, one nonrev flight attendant came up and started making sour faces and talking to another nonrev standing next to her saying how ridiculous it was how long it was taking to clear nonrevs and how we didn't know what we were doing. She made sure we could hear her. That put us in a poor mood, and we made sure she knew it... but she wasn't even the worst of it...

Another flight attendant, this one actually in uniform and commuting to work... she once we called her up for her seat, she threw a LOUD fit in front of several revenue passengers because we only had an aisle seat, not a window seat for her. She said we gave seats out of seniority. We explained we wanted families with little kids to be able to sit togeher. She said she didn't care and went so far as to keep yelling, screaming and even calling us ridiculous. Even as she was walking down the jetway she was still yelling back at us lous enough for us to hear at the gate podium, which is not even close to the jetway door.

We don't even tolerate this behavior from actual REVENUE passengers... in the interest of getting the flight out on time, we didn't bother continuing a fight with her, or pull her off but in retrospect that is what should have been done... if we would pull off a revenue passenger for the type of behavior she was displaying she should not have been traveling. I believe she was based in LGA...

What happened to our nonrev manners? :down:

On a side note, she did sport the blue dress well.... :unsure:

Such behavior should be rewarded with a loss of ALL travel privileges for a minimum of 6 months.
Gate agents (for all airlines) work entirely too hard and have to put up with way too much from revenue passengers to have to tolerate this from non-revs.

Bridogger6,

First off I would like to apologize to you for F/As behaving so badly. On behalf of those F/As who do appreciate your taking the time to seat families together-it helps us a lot to get out on time(on a personal note I appreciate you doing this as I do travel w/ small children and am always fearing the dreaded middle seats) I thank you. This is someone who should know the rules of non rev'ing.

Secondly, I would like to apologize on behalf of commuters everywhere who are grateful for the work that agents do to help us slog our way to work and back. I for one would be ecstatic to be given a J/S much more so an aisle seat when commuting.

Thanks to you and all agents who do a difficult job. We appreciate you and hope that this bad behavior does not happen too often.

As a commuter I would hope you take whatever action you feel necessary to change this kind of behavior from happening since it does affect my commuting privileges.

I apologize again and hope you don't look at all of us in such a bad light.

Thank you for your effort.

Your right that sounds bad, but remember America West pass policy is what screws thing up, when it was DOH it was a no brainer for the agents. Now you gotta call ,list , see who checked in at what time, I feel bad for the agents.

Your right that sounds bad, but remember America West pass policy is what screws thing up, when it was DOH it was a no brainer for the agents. Now you gotta call ,list , see who checked in at what time, I feel bad for the agents.
Bad behavior is bad behavior and it affects the agents and me.

Bri, Hang in there man...Surely there's an ass out there for every good employee there is. You just had the unfortunate luck of running into an ass that night. I would have added remarks to her tkt or wrote her up to be honest.

When you are beautiful, you deserve good things. Give her a break.

That's not even cool to joke around about because you FA's all think that way and you KNOW IT.

ESPECIALLY this one.

If I were the gate agent, I would have made sure it was a month before she got to where she had to go, and her seat would have been a middle seat ON a Greyhound.

You can still write her up you know, just go back, pull up the list, get her name and badge and get some witnesses. Her behavior is intolerable, and inexcusable, show her no mercy.

It's time people started treating eachother with respect, and start ACTING LIKE PROFESSIONALS. That blue suit doesn't excuse you from having MANNERS. How did your mother raise you? Jesus. <_<

I was actually on this flight last night....I was pos space but I can tell you this---the signage was very clear and polite---please wait until we call your name out. Despite this, non revs still kept going up to the counter....yet, the person whom answered the questions was very calm, and polite. Extremely patient IMO answering the same questions. The agents working the flight did so in the most professional way. I would send in a report...the girl in uniform looked like she was happier than ever to even be there--sarcasm-kudos to you guys working the flight because I watched and you were great. I missed the non revs acting up as I had boarded already--40 non revs and you handled it awesome.

See though, the thing is, it wasn't about getting her a seat, that was no problem at all. She just didn't get the seat she wanted. She wanted to put her own selfish desires of getting a window seat above those of families with small children traveling together. As far as the last time I checked, there is nothing in nonrev policy that states that we have to give seating preferential to those with more seniority. Of course we try to take care of employees, but if people are traveling with young children, we're going to assist them first... they have a higher need. After I make sure that is taken care of, then I get the best seats I can for our hard working employees... I know I'd rather not be stuck in a middle! But then again, I am flying for free, and it does happen sometimes.

The worst part about the whole thing is we got her an aisle seat, and that was not good enough for her. I told the first FA what happened, he was pretty funny but he said pull her off and lets go. I really wanted to, but I also didn't want to delay the flight.

Afterwords, we did report the incident to a shift manager, who was pretty upset that we didn't pull her off the flight, saying it didn't matter if she was commuting or not, we can't reward bad behavior.

Oh well... we get bad enough treatment from passengers on a day to day basis, we don't need to put up with it from each other too. We're on the same side.... right?

Interesting fact that, when everyone knows the rules, everyone behaves. The uncertainty on all sides of the "pass policy", as it is, makes for interesting times. We have all seen errors made, intentional as well as otherwise and this pass policy exacerbates the problem. Also, getting families seated together is nice, but, not necessary and complicating.

Good call on the bad pass policy implementation. Too bad the employees are quick to blame each other rather than the executives that "split the baby" with no thought to the consequences, a sort of "beaten wife syndrome".

See though, the thing is, it wasn't about getting her a seat, that was no problem at all. She just didn't get the seat she wanted. She wanted to put her own selfish desires of getting a window seat above those of families with small children traveling together. As far as the last time I checked, there is nothing in nonrev policy that states that we have to give seating preferential to those with more seniority. Of course we try to take care of employees, but if people are traveling with young children, we're going to assist them first... they have a higher need. After I make sure that is taken care of, then I get the best seats I can for our hard working employees... I know I'd rather not be stuck in a middle! But then again, I am flying for free, and it does happen sometimes.

The worst part about the whole thing is we got her an aisle seat, and that was not good enough for her. I told the first FA what happened, he was pretty funny but he said pull her off and lets go. I really wanted to, but I also didn't want to delay the flight.

Afterwords, we did report the incident to a shift manager, who was pretty upset that we didn't pull her off the flight, saying it didn't matter if she was commuting or not, we can't reward bad behavior.

Oh well... we get bad enough treatment from passengers on a day to day basis, we don't need to put up with it from each other too. We're on the same side.... right?

Well she may have had a point seniority wise if the families you were accommodating were junior to her. These days all you have left is your seniority and if she is commuting and wants the window seat so she can rest better then I can see her point a bit.
In the end it all comes down to how you deal with people and she went about it the wrong way.

Are you condoning and/or excusing the behavior and criticizing the agents for trying to seat families together?