Philty Philly

jack mama said:
Why would the company be offended to post pictures of PHL???  Is that a privilege only afforded to paying customers??

Sad...if they are so embarrassed, why don't they fix it?
[post="282390"][/post]​

I don't think they can. I believe the problems in PHL are innate and inherent of the overall weather, airport lay out, congestion (everyone and their mother wants to have a presence in PHL).

This all adds to an overall bad operation, and since U has the biggest presence, it effect us worse.

My solution if I were head of operations in PHL, I'd start connecting this traffic via PIT and get rid of much of the congestion in PHL. I would "schedule" it that way.

since 66% of the population lives East of the Mississippi, you can not have just 1 HUB operating the entire East Coast traffic. U never did in the past, and had PIT to handle much of this traffic. During the past 2 years, PHL got worse,(not the weather), and PIT downsized at warp speed during this process.
Just simple "cause and effect" (Company downsizes PIT, PHL gets worse with delays, misconnected luggage or no luggage transfer, congestion, etc with just a drop of wetness on the runway, or just because there is a lttle delay in a few cities, once they connect in PHL, its doomed from there the rest of the day operation).

If we continue this, U will be finished before they consumate a completed merger. If they join with AWA earlier, Parker should be bright enough to see this as plain as day.

You need two HUBS on the East Coast, if your going to continue to have a "Hub and Spoke" operation.

P.S. Don't expect a bonus for "on time performance" and no lost luggage for the month, anytime soon, or ever.

On my way to work... B)

jack mama said:
It appears nothing is going to be done until the new company takes over!!!! How pathetic!

[post="282563"][/post]​

Didnt we already do about 2 years of this a while back? Look where that got us. If they arent going to continue running the company and just wait for someone else to come do things, then get rid of them NOW!

It is my understanding the new US Airways has a number of capital improvement projects, including the PHL "B" and "C" concourse, that will be completed after the merger is closed, but for now the company must show the investors maximum liquidity, especially with current energy prices. Then, the merged company will be better able to concentrate on the customer experience and gaining synergies.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
It is my understanding the new US Airways has a number of capital improvement projects, including the PHL "B" and "C" concourse, that will be completed after the merger is closed, ............

I would hope the new management would not spend ANY moneys on that hole. B and C have been redone at least twice in the last 20 years, and it still does not change the fact that the airport just does not work. Rather than blowing even more moneys on improvements, why not just accept a little higher operating costs at PIT and save money in the long run. But what do I know! Greeter.

USA320Pilot,
Two things....First, you are implying that after the merger, energy prices will come down and the company won't be so concerned with liquidity....both of which are not gonna happen. Second, what is needed is not capital improvements. It is leadership, organization, etc...intangibles money can't buy

If they improve the operations, revenue will improve....it takes money to make money!

Jack:

After the merger closes the new company will spend some money on capital improvements and the PHL "B" and "C" concourse is on the agenda.

Moreover, US Airways and America West just told the bankruptcy court the combined carrier will earn $316 million in 2007 and assumes crude oil prices will remain at an average of $57.60 through 2006 and $56.67 in 2007.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I do believe that the combined companies, if merged, will have a "better chance" to show a profit in the years to come. For this company (today) to assume or predict oil prices are bad economics. They have made bad assumptions for the last 15 years. I hope this time they might be headed in the right direction

If nothing changes in PHL, UAIR will have a hard time showing a profit, other than the one they can magically see 1 to 2 years ahead!!!

Isn't it funny how that elusive profit is always just a few quarters away....if the company can just last long enough....

UPDATE email from Deborah Thompson! Short and to the point.....

Mr trvlr64,
Thank you for your email.

We are pleased to tell you that we just received approval for a total face lift
in Philadelphia. We will start with gate 6 --as we are making some
changes (i.e.colors) and this gate will be the proto- type. The face lift
includes floor coverings, walls, seats and LED placement.

We recently met with the cleaning vendor to address their performance.

Thanks for your note; you will begin to see improvements.
Deborah

.......................... ............................. ...............................
.......................... ............................. ...............................

here's what my email said to her and a few others in US management......

Hello Ms. Thompson,

We've exchanged emails and I have spoken with members of your staff about issues
that concerned me before. This email and accompanying pictures are to
illustrate the appalling conditions in the "crown jewel" of the USAIRWAYS
system. Known to every frequent flyer as Philadelphia.

As a frequent flyer we've become accustomed to having to connect through PHL
quite often. During our connections most of us don't care what our surroundings
look like we just want to get to our next flight and hope it leaves ontime. But
on my trip through PHL this past Monday, July 11, I had time to walk around the
B concourse and take a good look at the overall appearance of this airport.
It's not pretty. I would be ashamed as a employee of USAIRWAYS and the
Philadelphia Aiport Authority at the general lack of cleanliness and safety of
this airport.

Why would I mention the word "safety". As you will see in 1 of the pictures I
sent to you, there are 3 oxygen bottles laying beside an employee only door.
Why would anyone leave an oxygen bottle out in a public area? Imagine what a
potential terrorist could do with those oxygen bottles? I work in hospitals, I
know what damage an oxygen bottle can do. Is there not a company policy about
leaving oxygen bottles out? Even if they were empty, they should not have been
left out in a public area.

Is there a cleaning staff in PHL that actually works? I've seen men and women
pushing those big trash bins on wheels around. But do any of them actually bend
over to pick trash up? But in their defense, a grown man or woman should know
how to throw their trash away. Believe me, next time I see someone leaving
their trash at their seat I will embarass them. I have a big mouth and I'm not
afraid to use it. And I have common sense and manners. Something that seems to
be lacking in PHL for some weird reason.

And why are the seats in PHL ripped? Are there that many distructive people in
PHL? Maybe someone should hand out crayons and paper for those folks? There
are a lot of ripped seats in PHL. These can't be replaced or recovered? And
the carpets are so old and stained I'm wondering what bacteria is growing in
them? The carpeting alone is disgusting. I know I'll never sit on the floor in
PHL.

I noticed in CLT recently that they have all new gate signage. OK, you've moved
the agents to a podium at the entrance of the boarding ramp but don't you think
it would be wise to have signage in PHL that actually is near that new podium?
PHL signage is horrible. The old podiums have gaping holes where there used to
be a sign. Even the signage in BOS & PIT is better than PHL.

I took pictures in BOS and CLT this week too. I can forward those pictures to
you too if you'd like. What a stark contrast these airports are to PHL. They
are pristine.

Feel free to contact me again if you wish.

trvlr64 said:
While waiting for my connection in PHL yesterday I had time to kill and wandered around the B concourse (gate B10 - B15). I had my digital camera with me and took some very interesting pictures which I will be sending to US.

This airport is a disgrace. It's gross, disgusting and downright appaling and someone in US management needs to address these phacilities ASAP. Garbage is strewn throughout the boarding areas, multiple stains on the carpets, holes in a wall near the gangway entrance, seats with mutliple tears and rips. And the best evidence of total lack of responsibility were 3 oxygen tanks laying next to an employee marked door. GEE! Wonder what damage I could do with those if I was a nasty terrorist?

I noticed that CLT has been given a "phacelift" with new boarding signage. So why hasn't PHL been given a "phacelift" since it is the "crown jewel" of the USAIRWAYS system.

Wish I could post these pictures here for everyone to see. If I was this airport's manager I would be ashamed.
[post="281395"][/post]​
:angry: :unsure: Send the pics to AW and let them see what needs to be done. First things first, get rid of the MAJORITY of US mgmt. They dont have a clue!!! Inflight, Cust Serv., the list goes on and on....

trvlr64 said:
UPDATE email from Deborah Thompson! Short and to the point.....

Mr trvlr64,
Thank you for your email.

We are pleased to tell you that we just received approval for a total face lift
in Philadelphia. We will start with gate 6 --as we are making some
changes (i.e.colors) and this gate will be the proto- type. The face lift
includes floor coverings, walls, seats and LED placement.

We recently met with the cleaning vendor to address their performance.

Thanks for your note; you will begin to see improvements.
Deborah

[post="283334"][/post]​

Dear Debby,
Which color do you think will help enhance the baggage connection numbers/decrease PAWOBS?
Could it get any better? New floor coverings and customers arriving WITH their bags?

trvlr64 said:
While waiting for my connection in PHL yesterday I had time to kill and wandered around the B concourse (gate B10 - B15). I had my digital camera with me and took some very interesting pictures which I will be sending to US.

This airport is a disgrace. It's gross, disgusting and downright appaling and someone in US management needs to address these phacilities ASAP. Garbage is strewn throughout the boarding areas, multiple stains on the carpets, holes in a wall near the gangway entrance, seats with mutliple tears and rips. And the best evidence of total lack of responsibility were 3 oxygen tanks laying next to an employee marked door. GEE! Wonder what damage I could do with those if I was a nasty terrorist?

I
In my airport it's just as bad....the gate area seats were installed in 1988 and are
splitting at the seams, the carpet has one gross stain after another. The computer
equipment is over 25 years old and constantly malfunctioning. Oh well as my CSM
says..."its not us...its the industry" I call this the "puppet on a string philosophy".

PineyBob said:
Deb Thompson is one of the "good guys". She has the dubious distinction of being the apologist for what oft times are decisions that defy logic.

If I was King of the Airlines she is the ONE person who I would want to make sure stayed with the new US Airways.

She is ONE person that deserves a retention bonus. A class act Through & Through.
[post="283435"][/post]​

You are correct.