Pilot Pension Issue - Just the Facts

ok, that's it. Pitguy, you are ordered to get drug tested immediately. Maybe Biff should get one also. You two are quite a pair.[BR][BR]-fatburger-

To save even more money, maybe the pilots could start sleeping in the planes overnight. Just kidding. They could have you guys group together in hotel rooms though.

-- Please do not be a pilot that would partake in an illegal 'slow down' job action and try to hinder the company with garbage write ups. We are a bankrupt operation and you are risking your job.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/23/2003 3:49:46 PM chipmunn wrote:
A Thought: If the other employee groups want to help, maybe they can voluntarily terminate their pension plan. I'm sure the company wouldn't mind.

Chip
----------------
[/blockquote]

Wanton hubris, indeed.

What I find funny is this: any 15+ year pilot at U who did not save enough of his/her own money to retire with the PBGC minimum and still gets by deserves the job forthcoming at home depot when things go south.

I say again--ALPA's problem is one of perception (from the general public and other employee groups whose unions have been much less sucessfull in artificially inflating the compensation for their craft).

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/23/2003 5:07:04 PM BottomFeeder wrote:
[P]BIFFE<[BR][BR][BR]LIVE YOUR OWN WORDS. ITS A PILOT ISSUE!!!! YOUR NOT A PILOT END OF STORY!!!![/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]hey,you ever find out what went down in 1992?[BR]hows about a whine and cheese party?

"Chip answers: My attitude has not changed and I am the same as I was 20 years ago. I'm pragmatic and reasonable and I pointed on the benefits of a yes vote for other unions. In regard to the latest request, it's unfair to ask one employee group, who has given up an average of $138,000 per year on pay and benefits versus and average of $16,000 per year for the other 30,000 employees, to be the only group asked to sacrifice again."

Chip you still fail to realize that taking the average of $16k from the rest of us does not leave us much if anything to live off of. On the other hand you can still make a go of it with your $100k leftovers....the rst of us have nothing left to sacrifice....get the picture yet??????

Should a job action occur, I think many people would be shocked just how many pilots would fly for U just for the chance to actually make a little money again - instead of living off welfare and having to sell everything they own. Sure you can call them evil scabs...but if history repeats itself - ALPA will welcome them into the union down the road anyway to improve their bottom line. It's Continental all over again.

Just imagine the financial shape of the ALPA if Delta, Northwest, etc. all file Chapt 11...throw on a couple lawsuits from illegal job actions that could happen (slow downs)...and we could be witnessing the complete busting and destruction of the ALPA and other unions in the airline industry. If the unions are wanting to survive in this industry - they will need to cooperate with management until the airlines can get back on their feet. Is there one union that is in a position to survive all this? Not really. IAM is slowly being pushed out. AFA and CWA probably have the best shot at sticking around and maybe the TWU.

Latest posts